PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever actually make a padded stall?

tidy rabbit
Feb. 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
Anyone ever actually make a padded stall?

Starting to think it would be a good idea for my little dude. If you've done it, what did you use?

Come Shine
Feb. 7, 2010, 10:47 PM
I have never made one. But the one of the jumpers at one on my old barns had one. Thick padding all around. Not sure what they used but PM me and I can pass on their name. Seemed to do the trick. She was a VERY successful jumper in her day.

apachepony
Feb. 8, 2010, 02:19 AM
Your best ($$$) bet would be to contact the closest clinic or horsepital and find out who did their recovery stalls. They may have had someone semi locally put them in.

http://www.dandyproducts.net/large.html

http://hetechnologies.com/ot_table_5.htm

If you just want to make it kick proof, i've seen stall mats screwed into (wooden) walls.

RiverBendPol
Feb. 8, 2010, 06:12 AM
I padded my trailer with an arrangement made for me by Dandy Products posted above. Actually you can see my trailer pads right there on their web page. They were fabulous pads and a great company. I still have the padding installed and my kicking horse has long since crossed the Bridge. I guess my pads are almost 10 years old now and still perfect.

chai
Feb. 8, 2010, 07:18 AM
Yes. I have one. My draft horse will occasionally paw at the wall in the morning when he is ready for breakfast. At 5 am, it's very annoying and LOUD with those huge hooves.
On one wall, I bolted mats from a driving range with the 'grass' side toward the wall and on another wall I have traditional kick mats. I also bought tumbling mats from this company:
http://www.usagymsupply.com/
and bolted them to the wall, too. They are 8 years old and still work great. I lent a traditional kick mat with grommets in it to another boarder when I was boarding my horse and by morning, it was nothing but shredded vinyl and foam. Also, the grommets did not hold up well if the horse is at all destructive.

Bravestrom
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:20 AM
Soft stall makes padded walls.

We made a stall for our stallion where we put the carpet from them on the walls and left it a little loose - so it has an air pocket.

Sparky
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:33 AM
One of our long-ago boarders installed the Dandy pads years ago when her horse started having seizures. She's long gone, he's long gone, but the pads are still there and in perfect shape even though the stall has never gone unused.

DiablosHalo
Feb. 8, 2010, 10:02 AM
Friend of mine matted her concrete stall walls with mats from tractor supply. Used bolts with washers to anchor them against wall. they've been there 10+ years with no problems. Any contractor would be able to install them- as I'm sure you'd need a concrete bit on drill to get them into concrete. Much easier with wood stall.

If you want them padded- contact your local trailer dealer. I'm sure they can make padding the size of your stall walls. I would think they'd be able to rip through that easily though if cast, etc. The rubber mats are much more sturdy...

DennisM
Feb. 9, 2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, I padded a stall's wall with stall floor mats (on all 5 walls, hung to a height of about 5.5 feet; purchased from Tractor Supply) to prevent a cranky mare who like to kick at her neighbors from further damaging the wood walls (and to prevent her from damaging her legs). It's really cut down on the wall and leg damage.

WorthTheWait95
Feb. 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
We used tumbling mats from a gymnastic company several years ago. Worked great and held up very well for the year we had them in place. After we sold that horse we took them down so can't speak for major longevity.