PDA

View Full Version : Need best dry dog food advice

sportponies4U
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:03 PM
Greetings all! Need advice for thhe best nutritional dry dog food. Reading labels and list order of ingredients most contain corn, wheat and soy. Would be great if it were a brand easily found at TSC. Also, does anyone give their farm dogs tetanus shots? Thanks Yvonne

IndysMom
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:08 PM
We feed Dad's dog food and have for many years. It's made in the US from products from US farmers. None of the melamine crap. It comes in lots of sizes and flavors.

My BIL feeds his hunting dogs Joy brand.

EqTrainer
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:11 PM
My dogs, all farm doggies, eat Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. No wheat, no corn, no soy. They do great on it.

Dance_To_Oblivion
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
Another Diamond Naturals fan. Although my dogs do better on the chicken varieties as opposed to the lamb.

Marshfield
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:19 PM
I feed Canidae. But, at the farm expo I was at yesterday I picked up brochures for the dog food being sold under the Poulin label. Not a whole lot of choices in regards to the primary protein source, but many of the foods are corn, soy, and wheat free. Sales rep estimated about $1 per pound of kibble.

gloriginger
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:23 PM
I feed Taste of the Wild - they sell it at my TSC, not sure about yours.

AKB
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:50 PM
We feed Purina Pro Plan. However, our dogs eat enough of our leftovers that I don't think it really matters what we feed. The dog food is always in their bowl in case they get hungry. Much of the time, no one eats it.

sportponies4U
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:59 PM
Greetings All! Thanks for quick reply and the suggestions. I'm was overwhelmed with all the choices at TSC. Was hoping that someone had been using a particular dry food that didn't contain any corn, soy or wheat and was happy with the long term results. This dog was adopted through a shelter in another state a few days ago after looking for months for that " special " one. Though listed as a Terrier I highly suspect he is a smaller sized German Sheperd x Husky, nuetered male and 8 months old. He has not been taught a single thing! The shelter has had him since a 6 week old puppy. He is strong willed, easily distracted and destructive if not within sight of me... Can't tell you how many lead ropes he's destroyed even though I have provided rahide bones :) It's been a challenge to patiently try and teach him to not bark or runaway. Must be contained at all times until I feel I can trust him. Wants to eat the horses, squirrels and birds or any other thang that moves. Has some serious seperation anxiety issues and is absolutely destructive if not safely contained. I really want to make this adoption work because he will not be a good candidate for the average owner :( and I really like him. He is very smart and has learned to " go " outside under leash in just a few days. He stays on his blankets while in the house so he is learning some boundaries even though I allow him to sleep at the foot of my bed. Thinking about a shock collar any ideas??????????? Yvonne

chemteach
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:16 PM
I really like Royal Canin for my little ones.

gloriginger
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:37 PM
being destructive if not properly contained is pretty normal for an 8 month old puppy. Set him up for success, keep him contained in a place with lots of toys and things he CAN chew - and if he destroys things that you forgot to pick up- thats a shame on you.

Huskies have a pretty strong prey drive - and also a pretty strong desire to wander, so this may be something he is just wired to do. However the GSD should give him some of the good herding- I want to work for you wiring too.

Look into some basic obedience classes in your area, sounds like he will need a job, so maybe some agility, rally-O, or obedience will be in his future?

ETA: please don't put a shock collar on an 8 month old pup :(.

Sanely Eccentric
Feb. 8, 2010, 01:29 AM
Smartpak's Lamb and Rice Dog Food.

They also carry brands other than their own, but they produce a high quality dog food for a really good price and they come in Smartpak individual serving bags complete with the dog's name on it. And it's from Smartpak and we all know about their fabulous customer service. I pay no sales tax for the order and use the free shipping codes, so I save even more.

gypsymare
Feb. 8, 2010, 02:07 AM
Smartpak is great stuff.

For best quality I'd suggest Innova. EVO is completely grain free but beware that 1) it WILL give the dog the runs for a couple weeks if you don't transition slowly enough. It is an extremely rich food. After the transition period the stool will be very hard and small. Wonderful for those of us who have to bag everything. And 2) you feed MUCH less. No fillers=less food.

I have a Border Collie and there are very obvious differences in his coat depending on his food. Pro Plan left him dry and reddish tinted and shedding poorly. On Nutro his stools were huge and frequent. On EVO his coat is like glass. Soft, smooth, glossy and fine. The envy of every thinning man.

Alagirl
Feb. 8, 2010, 02:32 AM
ask 5 dog owners about food and you get 10 opinions...

good luck in the food search! :yes:

wendy
Feb. 8, 2010, 11:57 AM
He stays on his blankets while in the house so he is learning some boundaries even though I allow him to sleep at the foot of my bed. Thinking about a shock collar any ideas??????????? Yvonne

um, what? why don't you just train him? and what does that have to do with "allowing him to sleep at the foot of my bed"? No one should even consider using a "shock collar" without professional instruction in how to train a dog with one. Ecollars are an additional step in training, not some kind of shortcut to avoid proper training.

Look for a good basic positive-reinforcement-based obedience class.
Since he's an un-housebroken puppy (as in, hasn't been taught how to behave in a house, as in, destroys stuff) you might want to consider crate-training him.

As to food, well, looking for a food that doesn't have corn, soy, or wheat isn't an appropriate way to choose a dog food.
Here's a very informative site on how to interpret dog food labels:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=labelinfo101

Guin
Feb. 8, 2010, 03:59 PM
Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/) and pick any of the 4-star or above foods. I use Prairie Nature's Variety for my big dog, and Wellness Core Reduced fat for my small fat dog.

MunchkinsMom
Feb. 8, 2010, 04:03 PM
My dogs, all farm doggies, eat Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. No wheat, no corn, no soy. They do great on it.

This ^. My dogs are all doing great on this food.

wlrottge
Feb. 8, 2010, 05:19 PM
We switched from Nutrena Loyal to Blue Buffalo and ours LOVES it.

Candle
Feb. 8, 2010, 05:23 PM
I had my dog on Evo and thought she couldn't look much better, but switched to Orijen (Canadian brand) with six kinds of fish, and I've had at least one person a week ask me if I bathe her daily. She's so clean and shiny and gorgeous, and best of all is that she doesn't really smell "doggy" if you know what I mean. No dog farts either.

jetsmom
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:00 PM
Ditto using the Dogfoodanalysis website.

I feed Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula. Grain free and no addititives. My GSD/Boxer mix that was hard to keep weight on gained weight, plus stopped itching. My other 2 dogs look great.

WorthTheWait95
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:07 PM
Another Taste of the Wild High Prairie feeder here. It's the only food I've come across my super sensitive hound mix doesn't either itch herself raw on or start with horrible GI issues. I think she's sensitive to the more common meat proteins and likes the Bison in this one.

horse-loverz
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:30 PM
I feed Taste of the Wild too and have been happy with it. I sometimes feed the Merrick foods which they also love. Our TSC sells Taste of the Wild here.

As for the anxiety issue, I started my pointer on the doggie prozac due to her anxiety, she wasn't destructive just extremly nervous in her own skin. I had her for 2 years before I resorted to trying meds. Even when I was home and after being exercised she would pace, whine, do the "I wanna go out.. I wanna come back in.. I wanna go out.. I wanna come back in" ad nauseum again and again. I got her as a rescue when she was 6 months old so I don't know what her early socialization was like. When I got another dog she was a touch better since she had a playmate but still incredibly anxious.

Since the meds, (she has been on them for a couple of months now) the anxiety is much improved, She seems more relaxed and calm in her own skin (not sedated just calmer) the in/out games have gotten muuuuch better and she seems overall a happier more relaxed pooch.

I wouldn't recommend a shock collar as a first go to in training, positive reinforcement would be better. Sign up for beginner obedience class they can also help you with any other issues you have. I would also strongly recomend crate training if you aren't already doing that. It was a while before I trusted my dogs in their puppy stages to be left alone unsupervised. It is safer for the dog to be confined to a crate than to ingest something that he shouldn't have or destroy your property, plus if he is ever to be boarded or whatever it is a good idea to already have him familiar/comfortable in a crate situation.

ETA.. Husky's are notorious escape artists and wanderers in addition to having a high prey drive. You are going to have your work cut out for you for sure.
Good luck!! :D

equineartworks
Feb. 9, 2010, 08:33 AM
We fed Taste of the Wild as a backup for days when I have nothing for them to eat. I swear they changed their formula because all of the sudden my dogs stopped eating it and my cats look like crap. So I am on the hunt for another backup and a new food for the cats.

Taste of the wild is a Diamond food now, which I just found out. I wonder if the formula changed?

PletchersMom
Feb. 9, 2010, 09:17 AM
I use PetChef and they deliver right to my door!!

I switched from Eukanuba and had no issues with my dog getting diarreah or being sick in any way.

KnKShowmom
Feb. 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
I too use Taste of the Wild but use the Pacific formula because it was the only one without any chicken and boy has it helped Maggie's allergies - no more benedryl and cortisone since we made the switch.

wendy
Feb. 9, 2010, 11:41 AM
Taste of the wild is a Diamond food now, which I just found out. I wonder if the formula changed?
who knows. As a company Diamond has a TERRIBLE record of quality control, namely, lack thereof. They've poisoned a lot of dogs just through carelessness. Merrick also has a similar track record (they make Before Grain, another grain-free offering).

Taste of the Wild is just a knock-off of one of the many lower-carbohydrate grain-free, high-protein kibbles such as EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, Orijen, Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wildernessetc. that dog food companies are FINALLY starting to make after noticing the years of research about what dogs actually need in their diets to achieve optimal health.

RedMare01
Feb. 9, 2010, 11:54 AM
Doubt they have it at TSC, but I will say Wellness.

Caitlin

kealea31
Feb. 9, 2010, 12:17 PM
who knows. As a company Diamond has a TERRIBLE record of quality control, namely, lack thereof. They've poisoned a lot of dogs just through carelessness. Merrick also has a similar track record (they make Before Grain, another grain-free offering).

Taste of the Wild is just a knock-off of one of the many lower-carbohydrate grain-free, high-protein kibbles such as EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, Orijen, Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wildernessetc. that dog food companies are FINALLY starting to make after noticing the years of research about what dogs actually need in their diets to achieve optimal health.

There is no peer reviewed published research showing that high protein is beneficial to dogs.
What is beneficial - good quality highly digestible protein. There is a lot of bad info on pet foods out there. The best place to go is to a boarded veterinary nutritionist. Try this site - www.petdiets.com. It is Dr. Rebecca Remilards site, she is a boarded nutritionist.
FWIW, Wellness is also made by Diamond. If you are feeding a Diamond product, I would keep an eye on the FDA website for the latest recall info.

kealea31
Feb. 9, 2010, 12:25 PM
Thinking about a shock collar any ideas??????????? Yvonne

Please do not do this - try to find a good trainer to help you. Here is another good site: http://flyingdogpress.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/. Suzannes books and articles are wonderful, or she may have a seminar near you.

Feb. 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
www.dogfoodanalysis.com

KateKat
Feb. 9, 2010, 01:08 PM
Another vote for Orijen 6-Fish. If you're looking for grain, soy and wheat free due to food allergies, this is really the way to go. My dog had consistently runny stool until I got him on this food. There are no protein or filler sources from any wheat or grain. With chicken, lamb or beef you still have the chance of an allergic reaction from those meats since they are feed grain/wheat. Orijen is produced in Canada, all sources for their food come from local (to that area) growers and they have their own fishery. My pup has a lovely, soft and shiny coat and I agree with the other poster who said their dog never smells-its true! The food is a little spendy, but my boy is 85 lbs and gets 2 cups a day, and I only have to buy every 2 months or so (its $80 a bag). Well worth it to know that your animals are getting proper nutrition!

equineartworks
Feb. 9, 2010, 01:47 PM

It was one of the only foods that I could find that didn't have chicken in it. My golden was so allergic to most everything that we have tried most every food on the market. The Pacific Stream was the only thing we found that didn't have offending ingredients. But something changed because they didn't want to eat it.

The dogs get very little kibble, they eat what we eat, but the cats eat it exclusively and like I said, they look like crap so something is up. :mad:

AnotherRound
Feb. 9, 2010, 02:23 PM
Greetings All! Thanks for quick reply and the suggestions. I'm was overwhelmed with all the choices at TSC. Was hoping that someone had been using a particular dry food that didn't contain any corn, soy or wheat and was happy with the long term results. This dog was adopted through a shelter in another state a few days ago after looking for months for that " special " one. Though listed as a Terrier I highly suspect he is a smaller sized German Sheperd x Husky, nuetered male and 8 months old. He has not been taught a single thing! The shelter has had him since a 6 week old puppy. He is strong willed, easily distracted and destructive if not within sight of me... Can't tell you how many lead ropes he's destroyed even though I have provided rahide bones :) It's been a challenge to patiently try and teach him to not bark or runaway. Must be contained at all times until I feel I can trust him. Wants to eat the horses, squirrels and birds or any other thang that moves. Has some serious seperation anxiety issues and is absolutely destructive if not safely contained. I really want to make this adoption work because he will not be a good candidate for the average owner :( and I really like him. He is very smart and has learned to " go " outside under leash in just a few days. He stays on his blankets while in the house so he is learning some boundaries even though I allow him to sleep at the foot of my bed. Thinking about a shock collar any ideas??????????? Yvonne

Personally, and I have adopted many dogs from many backgrounds, I do not believe you need a shock collar.

Any time he goes out, go on a leash, always make your route the same direction and let the route take you around the perimeter of the property. This means, the edge of where he will ever be allowed to go. When he pulls over the line, bring him back, and say the same thing, no, or come. If he patrols the boundaries with you, you are telling him what the boundary is, and it will be amazing how fast he will "get" that. Eventually, you will be able to let him off the leash, and he will have learned the meaning of "come" (never say come unless you mean it, and make him come to you if he doesnt on the leash, always). If he gets near the boundary, make a noise, remind him you are watching, he wont' cross it. If he puts a paw over it, "No! Come!" and go get him, make him come right away. He will. Eventually, you can sit outside and read a book and keep an eye on him and he will just patrol the perimeter.

Two things - if you cross the perimeter, he will too. If he sees you walk across the property line, he will too. If it is alri9ght for you, he'll try it, so visit your neighbors by walking up the driveways, and put him on a leash off your property.

He'll know what's his and what's permitted bty waht you do, and he'll see you as the pack leader (who gives or denies nim permission) and you'll be on your way to a good relationship.

If you can't manage to train him (no reason you shouldn't) to stay on your property, then fence it, and that can be hard, but you don't need shock collars. And, they can go right through them, anyway. I think shock collars make people not interact with their dogs about the property boundaries.

Just my opinion.

LauraKY
Feb. 9, 2010, 03:25 PM
A husky will run. You need obedience training. Sit, stay, down, come, etc. First on leash, then on lunge line, then in a fenced area. Might take a while. We've been working for two months with our coonhound, but I don't know if he will ever reliably come when on the scent.

Trevelyan96
Feb. 9, 2010, 04:19 PM
Love Blue Buffalo.

wendy
Feb. 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
There is no peer reviewed published research showing that high protein is beneficial to dogs.

Actually there is. Most of the published literature on diet focuses on sporting dogs, but the body of available literature, limited as it is, suggests high protein diets do all sorts of interesting beneficial things, everything from helping senior dogs live longer to reducing the incidence of ligament injuries. The literature suggests your average pet should eat a diet of (dry weight basis) 30 to 40% protein and 20% fat; endurance athletes should eat 30 to 40% protein and up to 50% fat; and sprinting-type athletes are the only dogs that seem to benefit from eating a diet with more than 15% carbohydrates dry weight. Most traditional kibbles are 50 to 80% carbohydrates for reasons of dog food companies wanting more profits.

Trixie
Feb. 9, 2010, 05:01 PM
My dog gets taste of the wild and looks wonderful. I had him on something else before that and his coat wasn't nearly as nice. He also gets some vegetables, usually green beans.

paintlady
Feb. 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
We feed our three greyhounds Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice from Tractor Supply. They like it and they look great.

kealea31
Feb. 10, 2010, 12:05 AM
Actually there is. Most of the published literature on diet focuses on sporting dogs, but the body of available literature, limited as it is, suggests high protein diets do all sorts of interesting beneficial things, everything from helping senior dogs live longer to reducing the incidence of ligament injuries. The literature suggests your average pet should eat a diet of (dry weight basis) 30 to 40% protein and 20% fat; endurance athletes should eat 30 to 40% protein and up to 50% fat; and sprinting-type athletes are the only dogs that seem to benefit from eating a diet with more than 15% carbohydrates dry weight. Most traditional kibbles are 50 to 80% carbohydrates for reasons of dog food companies wanting more profits.

What peer reviewed veterinary journal did you find this in?

There is plenty of published research showing excessive nutrients leading to kidney desease, obesity, and many other problems.

Buyer beware. Do not just read an ingredient list. You need a nutient profile (not gaurenteed analysis), which will give you how many nutrients on a dry matter basis. Remember Carbohydrate sources such as grains have other nutrients in them such as proteins and fatty acids.

maquignon
Feb. 10, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have used Blue Buffalo for two years and recommend it highly. It can be found at PetSmart, PetCo and Tractor Supply in addition to many independent feed supply and pet stores. None of the products made by Blue Buffalo has corn, wheat or soy, no by-products, no artificial flavoring, coloring or preservatives. I like the Fish and Sweet Potato formula because of the ratio of omega 3 (1.3%) to omega 6 (3%) fatty acids. If you decide to use it, be sure to make the transition very slowly as it is much more nutrient dense than most of the other foods. You will also feed much less because it doesn't have the fillers.

gloriginger
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:26 AM

Ah, that makes a whole lot of sense now...my dog has had dry skin for the last few months and I couldn't figure out why. Time to yet again find another food...