View Full Version : My first duckling just hatched! New pics!

Hampton Bay
Feb. 7, 2010, 01:23 PM
I tried with no luck to hatch chicks, but I finally have a duckling! He's bouncing around the incubator, crashing into things.

For anyone who has a farm without ducks, get some! They are so very entertaining, and the horses don't seem to pay them one bit of attention. Plus they help keep the bugs down. And their eggs are yummy.

Feb. 7, 2010, 01:30 PM
I agree with all you said - but you just awoke a memory I'd sooner forget.
A neighbour who lived on a creek brought up a lone duckling (mallard) for us to raise. The kids loved him, he was raised in a cardboard box under the heat of a lamp. Eventually, we were booked to go on a vacation and the time came to put him out with the other livestock...car was packed, kids loaded, I went back to make one last check and (hate to say it) poor little thing had been stomped on by a horse.
We actually lied to the kids and said he had run away when we got back from vac.

Feb. 7, 2010, 03:20 PM
Congrats, that is so exciting! Keep posting pics!

Feb. 7, 2010, 03:44 PM
AWW!!!! I LOVE ducklings. Even more than chicks. I love their whistling peeps, and there "spongy" fluffyness. And their little rubbery feet. And their little beaks...
Awww :)

Jealous! Can't wait to see more pictures :yes:

Hampton Bay
Feb. 7, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have one more in the process of hatching, though being really slow about it, and 3 other that have pipped, so hopefully this little guy will have siblings.

He's curled up against my chest wrapped up in my shirt right now. He kept rolling all the other eggs around, and the brooder isn't warmed up quite yet. He's still just squeaking up a storm. I'll post another picture once he's all fluffed out. Right now he's still all nappy. Though freakin adorable all the same :)

Our adult ducks are in a pen though, so no horse stomping. They go out during the day occasionally, but they have plenty of places to forage that the horses aren't interested in. We have lost two to predators though, unfortunately. They were outside during the day and wouldn't come back in at night.

Hampton Bay
Feb. 9, 2010, 07:42 PM
There are five now, and one of them is crested!

Numbers 2 and 4 are sitting on my shoulder. Numbers 1 and 5 took a nap under my chin while I was laying on the couch. They are just adorable! And they are getting used to being petted, though still not fond of being picked up.

Feb. 9, 2010, 07:52 PM
OMG how cute!! I never saw a newborn duckling! Just adorable! When my sister and I were little, the neighbors down the road had a big duck that used to chase us off the boat dock! LOL! It used to bite us if we didn't get away in time! :lol:

Feb. 9, 2010, 08:03 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!! They are so cuuute! I love the little crest! :D

Feb. 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
They are adorable!

Feb. 10, 2010, 12:03 PM
Oh so cute! And I love the little crested's mohawk!

Hampton Bay
Feb. 10, 2010, 01:17 PM
Fuzzy Head seems to be the most calm and self-assured of the group. He's the one who will sit on my lap without freaking out at all. The others are still a bit skittish.

They have figured out their food and water finally. A couple of them were choking a bit on their food (ducklings have to drink to swallow their food), but they seem to have finally figured it out.

I will post pics of the whole group when hubby gets home with his phone.

Feb. 10, 2010, 01:37 PM
So soft and fluffy!

Reminds me of a story... when I lived in NoVA, I was on the way to work, and see a momma duck and babies toodling across the parking lot of a Giant grocery store complex. I get my breakfast and swing back around in the direction the ducks were going, to check on their progress... There's momma and her ten babies crossing the "street" in front of the Giant, no one bothering to stop, just swerving to miss the babies. Momma was on the sidewalk, waiting for her babies, who couldn't jump up to the sidewalk. :eek:

Aghasted, I stop the car in the middle of the street, leave the door open, get out in my work clothes and proceed to scoop up all the babies onto the sidewalk (silently squeeing with delight at their fuzzy softness as I did so!:))... Momma quacking in protest the whole time. After all ten babies were safe on the sidewalk, Momma did a head count, quacked at me again and headed off on her way.

I saw them later in the day at the "lake" behind my very nearby apartment complex. :D

Feb. 10, 2010, 05:32 PM
Adorable!!! :D I wish I could hear the peeping!

Hampton Bay
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:07 PM
Texan, some people are just so heartless! Good for you for helping the poor ducklings!

A pic of all 5 cuddled up together. It generally looks like a mass of duck with a couple heads poked up.

A bit of a sad update, hubby was holding the little fuzzy one and accidentally dropped him. Duckling fell about 3 feet onto a vinyl floor. He's calm and sitting in my lap, but having a ton of trouble with the concept of walking. He just keeps spinning himself in circles. I cannot feel anything wrong with him, and I've gently manipulated his neck and legs, but this isn't looking so good.

This was the one I had fallen in love with too. He spent 3 hours on my lap last night. I hope he makes it.

Feb. 10, 2010, 08:09 PM
So cute!!!

Feb. 10, 2010, 11:08 PM
SO cute! My husband is going to hate you when I end up with ducks! Can ducks and pigeons share a loft? I mean the pigeons are up at the top in their nest boxes and the ducks dont fly so......??

Feb. 10, 2010, 11:11 PM
...and the ducks don't fly so ...they get pooped on?

Have you seen Indian Runner ducks - very tall, slim and elegant.

Feb. 11, 2010, 05:49 AM
Last year I was sooooo tempted to get a couple of ducklings for my boyfriend's farm. . .he wasn't interested, so I let the issue drop. Probably a good thing for those ducklings I was considering, because the coyotes have really been moving in to the area and probably would have made a good meal out of any ducks.

They sure are cute little things, though. . .

Hampton Bay
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
These guys are actually runner and pekin cross! We are going to get some show-quality runners later this year.

Krazy, you could keep them in the Pigeon pen, or you could let them into a stall or in your barn (just chicken wire over any fences or gates with more than a 4x4 opening). Ours are actually in a portion of the dog yard that has chicken wire on the bottom 24". They have their kiddie pool and dog house and they love it.

Just tell hubby that they eat spiders and other insects. They will save him from having to save you from the spiders next spring.

If Fuzzy Head makes it, we might end up with a crippled barn duck. He's still not walking. He was throwing himself all around his little box today, so he has been renamed Suicide Duck.