PDA

View Full Version : Barn collapse in MD Oh dear.....

franknbeans
Feb. 6, 2010, 07:53 PM
Just reported on Fox news in DC-barn collapse in Poolesville Md-they know at least 10 animals inside, have search and rescue on the way........Oh dear those poor things, and their poor owners.........:cry:

fordtraktor
Feb. 6, 2010, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know where? My horse is in Poolesville and so are several of my friends'. Thanks.

Quinn
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:03 PM
I can't even imagine the terror. Jingles for equines and humans.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

TrueColours
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
What an awful thing to have happen ... :(

Hope that by some miracle everyone and everything comes out okay ...

Sabovee
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:12 PM
I found a couple of reports that said Sugarland Rd, but I'm not 100% sure on that!

fordtraktor
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:13 PM
Fox5 says a Sugarland Rd. barn -- don't know which one.

blackstallion2
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:24 PM
Many jingles :(

Chall
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:29 PM
Oh dear, I was going to post that care should be taken when clearing snow off of roofs. Try and do it in a balanced way, a little off one side, then a little of the other than back. One barn collapsed when one whole side was cleared of snow and the other wasn't.
I hope all is OK.

Tazzie
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:47 PM
Our barn collapsed too. There are concrete stalls with a roof, then hay storage above that with a dome roof. The dome roof collapsed but not through the floor of the hay. Freaked the horses out but they are fine. All horses moved out of the barn for now. Very sad and scary. Good luck to those in Poolesville.

chemteach
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:48 PM
Glad they are all okay Tazzie.

KnKShowmom
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:05 PM
Seems to have had cattle in it - still not good, but glad it seems there were no horses and owners inside.

HunterKatie
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
The news report says it was 4 cows that were all unharmed...Good to hear!

JSwan
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
Tazzie - glad your animals are ok.

And I'm glad the cattle were ok too.

I hope there are no more.

SBF
Feb. 6, 2010, 10:10 PM
I just got word that the roof on my neighbor's barn collapsed. My neighbor was in the barn at the time and crawled out unharmed. There are cages of birds, chickens and ducks in the barn that they will have to deal with in the morning. Very scary!

Bluey
Feb. 6, 2010, 10:30 PM
In our storm, our neighbor's new cutting barn, 150' by 100', a corner twisted and fell in, along with the overhang on that side.
They had the tackroom and trailer and tractor there, but no horses.
The insurance man had never seen anything like that.

The JD dealership had the middle of his roof collapse right into the main room.
That much snow will sure test your buildings.

Glad that no one is getting hurt.
I am afraid we will be hearing from more.:(

OneMoreForTheRoad
Feb. 6, 2010, 10:59 PM
My friend had her Cover-all barn/indoor collapse on top of her and her horses. Luckily the stalls' walls kept it from falling on top of them and they cut the wallto get them out, but still VERY SCARY!
Jingles to everyone effected by barn collapses :/

InstigatorKate
Feb. 7, 2010, 12:29 AM
My friend had her Cover-all barn/indoor collapse on top of her and her horses. Luckily the stalls' walls kept it from falling on top of them and they cut the wallto get them out, but still VERY SCARY!
Jingles to everyone effected by barn collapses :/

Yikes! How scary!

Arado*TB
Feb. 7, 2010, 02:55 AM
OH geez,my hometown and I know there are several barns on Sugarland and Poolesville is full of nice facilities I sure hope everyone takes care and it just doesn't get any worse.

Bluey
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:58 AM
In threads about building barns, we discussed how different types of barns would hold up in extreme conditions.

Now we have extreme snow conditions in the East and some barns are sadly collapsing.
I think this would be a good time to compare what those tragedies mean when one or the other kind of barn is involved.

Someone posted about a Coverall barn that fell in, others about standard barns collapsing, like one right here losing a corner and the overhang on the corner.

Since fabric covered barns are relatively new, I thought we may want to learn more about how they perform under these conditions, compared with other kinds of barns, if anyone has some direct experience.

LisaB
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
RIP garage, aka Man Building
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=113426&id=100000358822759

Cinder block garage with wood trusses. I think it's about 30-35 years old and we just got it inspected when we bought it 2 years ago.
Yeah, I'm glad I wimped out and the horses are being boarded!

JSwan
Feb. 7, 2010, 10:00 AM
LisaB - I couldn't see the photo but I'm sure it's awful.

I've got a couple of open stalls if anyone needs a temporary facility - and I've got a stall in the old barn which could house poultry, pigs or goats. Nothing fancy but it's warm and dry.

Paddys Mom
Feb. 7, 2010, 11:19 AM
A long time area horseman had his indoor arena collapse last month. I don't know how he will ever afford to rebuild. :no: No horses or people were injured thankfully.

whyiwork
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:42 PM
where was the cover all type building with the horses located?

suze
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
Scary. Hope everybody ends up ok!

tangledweb
Feb. 22, 2010, 01:08 AM
We came close to losing part of ours. The 100 year old Amish parts seem fine but have lost some modern guttering. The 10 year old shallow angled modern part had some beams break and a sagging unsupported section. Fortunately, it happened slowly enough that I could shore it up and jack it up on the weekend and redo some framing before it turned into a disaster.

DiablosHalo
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:06 AM
Lost the guttering off our barns. Neighbor lost roof of newer indoor arena. :(

inquisitive
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
Anyone heard whether the horses have gotten out?

Glad to hear that although there have been several collapses most seem to be ok?

A fellow boarder lost her covered ring at home but thankfully no one was hurt :(

Tiki
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Coveralls come from, and are tested for snow load in Canada. Never heard of one collapsing before.