PDA

View Full Version : Heart Monitors

Orion
Feb. 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
Looking to purchase a heart monitor. New to the sport and don't want to drop $500 but want something easy to use and economical to start. Any suggestions?

Painted Horse
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:15 PM
VMAX Horse Rate Monitors

psidio
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hi,

A lot of the Endurance people use the V MAX heart monitor. It runs about $125.00 The guy who owns it has done a lot of Endurance riding. The Polar unit runs about the same, but the units batteries are not changeable. When they go dead, you buy a new handle unit. (unless they have changed it now).

I assume you want an on board heart monitor to hep you see where you are at training? The hand held units for vet checks and the like are a bit less, but not as handy for checking plse rates on the go. .

I have the Vmax, and used to have a Polar handheld. I really don't use the monitor that much. We rely more on how they act and feel, than trying to follow certain numbers. I think if you were trying to be a top 5 rider and finish first, then a monitor could help. If you are just trying to complete, then you will be ok with just listening to your horse.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO

Orion
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks Paul, I was kinda wondering if I really needed a heart monitor at this phase of the game. I ride a quarter horse and will be happy to be able to complete/finish 25's then do the same in 50's. I probably will not compete in 100 or if I do it will be done the road.

Thanks for your honesty

rmh_rider
Feb. 7, 2010, 12:49 PM
Orion,

Wow $500 is what you think a HRM will cost? Holy cow. I don't even think the instant ones cost that much money. If any of these did, I doubt many endurance riders (we usually ride on a budget and not unlimited funds) would use them.

NO THEY DON'T cost that much.

Go here:

http://catalog.theaustralianconnection.us/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=51082

Then this is the one I have used for YEARS, like 10 years! Mine has a backlight not sure this particular one does. Only really need a backlight if you will be riding at night.

http://catalog.theaustralianconnection.us/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=493589

I have had the fancy one with all the bells and whistles. What a hassle. Also it quit working after a couple years.

This one you turn on, touch the watch to the pouch, and in a couple few seconds it reads the heart rate - FAST. Easy. Of course you have to hook it on the horse.

This one is $135. I have ordered from these folks alot.

You can start with a basic one, and if you think you want more options, then sell the one you have, and buy a higher model. I went the opposite way.

I prefer to have more options on my gps than on the hrm. I learned that over the years.

Like Paul I do not use mine that much, so the basic is fine. I do use it in competition, just so I can keep and eye on things. Every now and then I use for training. But never use it as a speedometer, or anything like that.

good luck

Orion
Feb. 7, 2010, 06:21 PM
Apparently the ones I saw incorporated the GPS but even at that the pricing goes from $80-$250. After more thought I think I will just get my horse fit and check her heart the old fashion way. The more people I talk to the more I find it isn't a necessity and there are other things I need more (breeches, buckets, another saddle pad, etc.). I just happened to find a used one and thought it might be a deal.