PDA

View Full Version : Footing for outdoor arena

spotmenow
Feb. 5, 2010, 07:19 PM
We bought this farm 2.5 years ago...outdoor ring is all sand and has great drainage underneath. However, it is time to do something about the surface....I'm thinking I'd like to mix some rubber in with the sand-is this a good idea or am I wasting my $$$ in an outdoor (upstate NY). Other suggestions for footing besides sand? We rode in a hunter pace this fall that I swear had stone dust as footing-is that possible?

mkevent
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have the crumpled rubber footing(Permaflex) and I love it. It's mixed with our native soil (mostly sand).

I've had it at least 14 years and it's still going strong. I was only able to afford the 1" depth (recommended amount is 1.5").

It does defrost faster than the surrounding pastures-not sure why-guessing it's because of the arena drainage and the black rubber absorbing sunlight(?).

I would recommend it.

S1969
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:55 PM
Stone dust isn't all that uncommon; I had it in my arena up until last year but have topped it with sand now.

My biggest complaints with stonedust as footing is that it will pack/compress and get very hard in the summer and requires a lot of work to keep it raked and soft. If we got a pounding rain, I would have to try to rake it with my york rake while it was still quite wet, and then I'd try to rake again before it completely dried to keep it fluffy. Otherwise it could end up like pavement and at that point it's very hard to re-fluff (basically requires another drenching rain and raking it wet again).

It is pretty abrasive as well, which wasn't really my biggest complaint but is worth mentioning.

I ended up getting a cheap sand and it's a little silty, so it doesn't drain as well as my stonedust did....I am thinking this year I might try to mix in a bit of stonedust to improve the footing. I think a medium mix of stonedust and sand would make a nice footing in NY.