PDA

View Full Version : cross post - looking for input on tankless hot water heaters

piggiponiis
Feb. 5, 2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4664831&posted=1#post4664831

PLEASE Help!

Guilherme
Feb. 5, 2010, 03:45 PM
We have 110v unit in our trailer. It's adequate, but no better than.

A 220v unit is much more efficient and can do better at raising water temps.

The most efficient are the gas units (natural or propane). I know to local plumbing companies that will not install electric units due to the large number of complaints that water will not get hot enough in the winter. Since we don't "winter camp" I don't know if they are right or wrong. :)

We are thinking about one when one of out tank units fails (we have two in the house). It will likely be the one serving the downstairs (kitchen, laundry, bathroom).

The Cabela's unit might be just the thing for a small barn as you can turn the gas on and off at the tank as required. Gas does a better job of heating and does not draw as much current.

G.

trubandloki
Feb. 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
Since we don't "winter camp" I don't know if they are right or wrong. :)

They are right. The ground water is approximately 40deg, and tepid water is say 100deg. The small electric units have a hard time jumping that 60deg at any flow.

You can put them in series though.

And OP - if the water is already hot then it probably does not need to be heated - that is why they are called water heaters, not HOT water heaters. ;)

piggiponiis
Feb. 5, 2010, 10:39 PM
these are all propane. Anyone have any experience with them?

Guilherme
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:35 PM
Not personally. But gas is better than electric as a heat source in these units. The difficulty I have with propane is price. I'd rather have natural gas, but it's not available where I live. :no:

G.

alabama
Feb. 6, 2010, 02:22 AM
I have one of the coleman ones and LOVED it until I had to recharge the battery. It won't hold a charge. Bought a new battery. It won't hold a charge, either, so it's probably something in the unit or the charger cord.

Bad thing for me is that I bought it (new) off ebay. Coleman will only deal with you on warranty issues if you've bought from a "real" retailer. I'm just hoping my nerdy boyfriend can rig something up for me that will work. Right now, I'm pissed that I've thrown $230 down the drain. If it worked, it would have been GREAT!

vineyridge
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:11 PM
Schneider's is selling one that sounds just perfect for most uses. When strapped to a hand truck, it is completely portable.
http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=11880&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=21550
Using a hand truck for the unit and propane tank is brilliant. :)

Of course, you can probably get something similar more inexpensively off Ebay or other online stores that aren't horse focused.

Caveat--I don't have one, but am lusting after one. I DO have the 20 lb propane tank, so that's one added expense that is already covered.