PDA

View Full Version : Transporting 16' boards

FairWeather
Feb. 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
Kind of a dumb question, but does anybody have some advice on the best way to transport 16' boards in an 8' bed (pickup) without using a trailer?

sk_pacer
Feb. 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Leave the tailgate down, load and strap them down well, and flag the ends. Most lumberyards have the red flags for the ends of the sticks, generally free and at most, 50 cents and that includes fasteners. I dont know about where you are but here, of you have more than 2' overhang with the tailgate down, you have to flag the ends of the boards or whatever.

essayo
Feb. 5, 2010, 02:43 PM
I use a hitch-mounted bed extender:

http://www.extendatruck.com

I believe it has a 400 lb. or so capacity; I just lash the boards front, back, and on the crossbar and flag the load. Not huge quantities, and not great distances; but it's handy for what I use it for.

essayo

winfieldfarm
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:40 PM
my hubby comes home with boards in his littel ford ranger. He opens the back window and sets them on the dash. He leaves the tail gait up and staps them down by a cargo binder from one side of bed, wrapped around wood, to other side of bed. only has to drive about three miles and he never gets more than 6 at a time.

FairWeather
Feb. 6, 2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the thoughts all. I don't have to go very far, so might just lash to the bed, but i'm wondering if it could snap the boards?

shawneeAcres
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:09 AM
I don't think I would try this with 16' boards, that is VERY long and the weight of them would likely cause them to shift and probably fall off truck or even snap some. I use my 4 horse gooseneck trailer to transport boards of this length. Or maybe they could deliver (when we bought a LOT of rough cut boards for our barn we had them delivered, MUCH easier and well worth the extra cost!)

saje
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:42 AM
Can you cobble together a frame to go in the back of the bed so that you can rest the boards on the roof of the truck (well padded of course) and on the rack?

I'm picturing a tall sawhorse deal set against the tailgate and tied enough so it doesn't slide. If you don't have far to go, don't drive like a maniac, and have everything well strapped down then the weight of the boards ought to keep the frame in place.

It might be easier to just use the trailer though.

f4leggin
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:45 AM
up on the roof - that is what I have done - I also have a flat bed and headache rack - so that helps... I once transported a 30 ft ladder that way (well secured!)

Jill

vineyridge
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:00 PM
If you're going to have a farm, you're going to need a flatbed trailer anyway. Might as well get it now. They are relatively cheap and absolutely invaluable. I use mine for hay and manure hauling, as well as for collecting limbs and trash for dumping in my gullies. You can also use them to transport metal to the junk yard and get real money. :) In about 20 years or so, they pay for themselves. Mine is 16' long, and I can haul 105 bales of hay per trip.

Tom King
Feb. 6, 2010, 02:44 PM
The advice here is comical at times.

16' boards are hauled in 8' bed pickups all the time. With the tailgate down the support length is almost 10 feet. I've been doing it for over 35 years. If I'm only going to haul anything that will fit under the toolbox up front, I'll use the pickup. Anything more and I'll use the trailer.

Building suppliers always have string and flags at the out gate of the lumber yard.

Tie the boards together so they don't slide all around and tack a flag on the end.

People have been hauling 16' boards in 8' bed pickups for as long as there have been pickups.

If I'm also hauling plywood, I'll put the plywood in first and let it stick out a foot or so behind the down tailgate.

It rides fine, but don't take off fast if you are carrying slick, dressed boards even if they are all tied together.

FairWeather
Feb. 6, 2010, 09:11 PM
Helpful info, thanks so much :)

I only need about 9 boards, so I don't want to have them delivered. I will only need to drive about 5 miles, so I don't want to go to the expense of buying a flatbed trailer.
While I would love to have one, it's not in the budget and not something I really will *need* anytime soon.

I'm sure the feed store will have some suggestions too. I really appreciate the advice though :)