PDA

View Full Version : Extra money from your horse farm?

Bluey
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:23 PM
Here is an interesting article with an idea that could well be adapted to horse farms:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/08/26/dining/26farms.html?pagewanted=1

How many families do you think would love to pay well to stay at a horse farm for a night or two and help feed, etc.?
They could get to play with the horses and other critters, without the anxiety of having to ride?
That could be a much larger market than dude ranches in the West, although some riding could also be a possibility in some cases.:)

dmalbone
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm not good with horse-stupid people so I don't think that would be a good idea for me. Ones that stay and enter training like DH? Sure... one-night "look at the pretty horses" kind of people would make me bonkers. :D

Bluey
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm not good with horse-stupid people so I don't think that would be a good idea for me. Ones that stay and enter training like DH? Sure... one-night "look at the pretty horses" kind of people would make me bonkers. :D

That is a consideration.;)

One night to look at the pretty kale plants and pet goats is a different level than a horsey experience.:yes:

PixelGraphixDesign
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:45 PM
They could watch and maybe pet them under supervision, but I really don't like other people handling my horses. And I very particular about things in my barn, so I actually don't think it would be very fun for them having me breathing down their necks. LOL

Bluey
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:58 PM
They could watch and maybe pet them under supervision, but I really don't like other people handling my horses. And I very particular about things in my barn, so I actually don't think it would be very fun for them having me breathing down their necks. LOL

That is what ranchers around here used to say and for many years now, recreational business ventures is one of their biggest profit center.
Look at the venerable King Ranch.
They even have bus rides around their place, for the guests that stay there overnight and travel agency groups.:)

There are dude ranches from one family at the time on a small place, to trail rides of several days to regular dude ranch camps.

Looks like this article shows a much smaller, rather local project, for people in one area to get to have a fun weekend with their family on a farm.
If you have a market for it and really need the money, it is one more way to add to your bank account.:yes:

dmalbone
Feb. 5, 2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah... I bet insurance would be out the wazoo for that as well.