PDA

View Full Version : Economical Barn Construction Companies

JMurray
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hi all, trying this discussion area first. I am investigating if I can afford to put a new barn in rather then continue repairing the 50 year old barn I have now. I know exactly what I want which is the same design I have. one story, 4 stalls, wash stall, tackroom and hay/straw storage area. Nothing fancy except to add hot water in wash stall.

Any suggestions for who I can research that is in Chester County, Pa area?

Edited to add....

My barn is a qtr mile away at the bottom of the property. For me to stay here and continue into my 60's..I am 57.. I need to make all this easier especially in the winter so I am considering demolishing the old barn and having new barn up near the house.

I am looking for suggestions of commercial people doing economical barns, to help me with my search

Thanks!

Bluey
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:29 AM
I assume your barn is wood?
If it was metal, it would not need any repairs and would be standing 100 years from now.

If you don't mind all metal framing and sheeting, wood inside ok, check with commercial builders in your area, those that build for most business.
They can make any metal barn look as nice as you want and cost less than wood barns.

Now, building with wood trusses, metal clad, that is not all metal and that also needs repairs and some fall apart eventually, just as all wood buildings.

Just one more idea.;)

Zu Zu
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:31 AM
IMHO ~ Repair your old barn ~ they do not build them like they used to ~ I would rather have my old family farm barns and sheds rather than this new stuff ~ now fencing that's another story ~ I do like the progress they have made in fencing ~ less repair with new products and styles. IMHO

JMurray
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:37 AM
Ok there is more to my madness then what was in my post. My barn is a qtr mile away at the bottom of the property. For me to stay here and continue into my 60's..I am 57.. I need to make all this easier especially in the winter so I am considering demolishing the old barn and having new barn up near the horse.

I am looking for suggestions of commercial people doing economical barns, to help me with my search rather then pouring through the yellow pages and the internet.

Zu Zu
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:48 AM
OK ~ Sorry did not understand the direction here ~ I can not recommend the builders of my last three barn projects ~ A local group in 2003 repaired some old barns for us - but were a PITA ~ Morton did some stall work ~ Stalls and Mats...and built a run- in shed for us in 2006 - found them to have a quality product but the leadership was STUPID and POOR ! This year we built an indoor - Cleary - TERRIBLE ! Nothing good about the company ~ IMHO . Sorry I will never build another horse building as I researched all the companies and choose carefully - did no good !.. I think it is the quality of work and work ethic lacking today in building companies. IMHO Sorry wish I could be more positive - just be careful ~do your research and MONITOR EVERY STEP ! GOOD LUCK.

Bluey
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:49 AM
Ok there is more to my madness then what was in my post. My barn is a qtr mile away at the bottom of the property. For me to stay here and continue into my 60's..I am 57.. I need to make all this easier especially in the winter so I am considering demolishing the old barn and having new barn up near the horse.

I am looking for suggestions of commercial people doing economical barns, to help me with my search rather then pouring through the yellow pages and the internet.

Would getting something like this UTV help you get from the house to the barn you already have?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/category/ho_gatorho.html

Maude
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Jill, I highly recommend White Horse Construction. They have done renovative work and restorative work on my old barn and also build new barns, indoors, etc. Simian (Sim) Stoltzfus is in charge of the equine division. White Horse has worked on several projects here at my farm. I have seen many new structures they have built too. Wonderful, honest, reasonable guys. The office number is 610-593-5559. Again, I think for the money you can't get better. Good luck! And I sympathize with the age thing. I just turned 54 and my barn is close, but...this winter's killin' me!

Tamara in TN
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=JMurray;4663989]Hi all, trying this discussion area first. I am investigating if I can afford to put a new barn in rather then continue repairing the 50 year old barn I have now.

we have among our hay clients a professional barn who works the Nash-Vegas/Franklin area...I could ask him today who he might recommend in your area...he does a very nice job and seems well connected to the others in his trade

Tamara in TN

Brandy76
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:35 AM
Jill-

You have a pm.

ChocoMare
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:59 AM
www.horizonstructures.com (http://www.horizonstructures.com) ;)

JMurray
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:04 PM
www.horizonstructures.com (http://www.horizonstructures.com) ;)

Their Low Profile option is what I am looking for!!!!

ChocoMare
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
I saw one of their barns at Equine Extravaganza. It is VERY well constructed!!! :yes: Should our future farmette need a barn or run-in, we will be getting it from Horizon.

dmalbone
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:24 PM
When deciding on who to go with a barn-builder do NOT just go with the cheapest person. Read my blog a ways back and you'll see why. My barn didn't get finished before winter because it took so much time hassling with them about everything. Won't you won't see in my blog are the roof complaints... because I haven't had the energy to type it out yet. The roof leaks, drips, etc. all the time. We also asked if we needed a vapor barrier because we did not want condensation (first time building- didn't know) and they told us no, not with our ridge vents and cupola. Low and behold... MASSIVE condensation and it felt like it was raining inside the barn when it came down. Whoever you go with... make sure they're reputable!! I learned that less money does not always mean so in the long run. Thank god this one at least came with a 5 year warranty so I have grounds to go back and have them fix stuff. If we were just doing another small stall barn I would use Horizon in a heartbeat. After finishing the inside, redoing mistakes, headache, etc. the extra cost would be totally worth it. We even modeled our pole barn design off of "The Fresian". Same exact setup. Great setup. Sucky barn.