PDA

View Full Version : Need Jingles for my old buddy

carla54
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:40 PM
I came home from work tonight, went to feed my toothless old gelding, and he is obviously in discomfort. It seems to be mild colic, but with a 33 year old, it can go bad fast. Called the Vet, he had me give him Banamine. He has been able to poop, vet thinks it's a partial impaction and the Banamine should fix it. Moe has more gut sounds now than he did and is fiddling with hay (that he can't chew) and he seems more comfortable. This is my heart horse that is the son of my first heart horse, Carmel. Moe was born in 1976 and has been my shadow ever since. We have ridden across Michigan, he's a retired Sheriff Posse horse and has always taken care of me and forgiven all my mistakes. He gives me neck hugs when I'm sad. I guess I feel like this is the beginning of the end, he's never been ill before in his life, and at this age, I just can't feel good about it. Please keep him in your prayers. I know he can't live forever, but I sure would like him to able to have one more nice summer on green pastures before I have to let him go.

chemteach
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
Jingling in Virginia for Moe. Hugs to you.

NEWT
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
Jingles from Maine for your heart horse!

BasqueMom
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:51 PM
Texas-sized jingles for Moe!

MunchkinsMom
Feb. 4, 2010, 09:27 PM
Florida Jingles coming your way.

lplotkina
Feb. 4, 2010, 09:31 PM
Jingles and hugs from Western NY.

harveyhorses
Feb. 4, 2010, 09:31 PM
More Virginia jingles.

Zu Zu
Feb. 4, 2010, 09:58 PM
Jingles for Moe and his owner ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !

KPF
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hope Moe feels better soon... jingles from VA!

Bluey
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:07 PM
Jingles for a good resolution of the blockage.
Sometimes, it takes a couple of days.
IV fluids can be a big help also.

Buffyblue
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:08 PM
I've had oldies in the past and with a colic my vet always had me give Banamine and if there was no improvement in 20 minutes to call him and he would come out and give IV fluids and oil him or her. They always pulled through, thankfully. (Lost them eventually to other issues - the oldest was probably close to 40 at the time.) Jingles for your guy!

certifiedgirl
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:29 PM
Sending lots of jingles your way!!!!

carla54
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
Thank you for the Jingles, they seem to be helping! Moe is perking up and seems a lot more comfortable, he ate some of his senior slop and now insists that he needs to be out with his girls. He watches over his mares with an iron hoof! (He really doesn't think he's a gelding, he was unconcious when the deed was done ya know!) I'll keep checking him until bedtime and give him another dose of Banamine just to keep him comfortable for the night. His gut sounds have improved and the light is back in his eyes. He does still glance at his left side on occasion, but not with any real urgency. Keep them jingles coming please!

shea'smom
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:40 PM
Jingles for a good old man!! Sounds like things are improving!

Zu Zu
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:01 PM
Many more MOE Jingles ~ wishes for a quiet night of rest & recovery for both of you ~

mtbeardoc
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:29 PM
Jingles from all the mares braced for the ice storm since Moe isn't a gelding, thought he wanted to know the girls sent him lots of jingles...

TBCollector
Feb. 5, 2010, 12:06 AM
You go, Moe!!!

fivehorses
Feb. 5, 2010, 12:11 AM
Jingling for Moe up here in artic NH!
Think green grass Moe~

eventgroupie2
Feb. 5, 2010, 12:37 AM
More jingles heading your way from VA....

elysian*fields*farm
Feb. 5, 2010, 03:55 AM
Jingles from Louisiana for Moe!!! Take heart, my friend had an old walker named Joker who lived to be almost 40!! She had a couple of mild colic bouts when she was in her 30s but they resolved with vet care within 24 hours each time. Joker died in her sleep one fine spring morning amid the green grass and under a blue shy.

carla54
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thank you everyone! Moe is back to his old self this morning, bossing the other two geldings around, herding his mares, and strutting around by our stallion's paddock, just to let that uppity stud know that geldings rule! I will keep a close eye on him though. He is too precious to me not to.

Thanks again everyone for all the Jingles!

Zu Zu
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:44 AM
GREAT NEWS !!!! THANKS FOR UPDATING ~~~ Jingles for Precious MOE !

foundationmare
Feb. 5, 2010, 07:27 PM
Good news! Precautionary jingles for Moe!

Buffyblue
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:05 PM
That's great news! Just make sure he's drinking enough in this cold weather. Offer warm water periodically, or use one of those heated buckets if you can.

Bluey
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
Great!
That is so good to hear.:)

carla54
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
Moe is still doing well, ate all of his soaked hay cubes and senior feed, drove the other horses away from me as usual, and is hanging out in his stall for the night. I have a heater in the water tank, but I thought maybe it wasn't warm enough, so I added some extra warm water from the house to his bucket. He seemed to enjoy that. If this keeps up he's gonna get extra spoiled(not that he isn't all ready).

chai
Feb. 6, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm glad to read that Moe is feeling better. I lost my dear 35 year old QH gelding this past year to colic. He was a tough old bird who had 9 lives even before he came to us as an 18 year old when his owner was going to dump him at auction.

Our old boy had a series of minor colic bouts during his last year and he bounced back from all of them until he finally had a serious one. Hopefully, this is just a one time thing for Moe, but with older horses, it can come with the territory. He sounds like a very dear boy and a beloved friend and I hope he will continue to rally with many more years ahead.

Robin@DHH
Feb. 6, 2010, 02:16 PM
Just a thought, we just went through something very
similar with my DH's 35 year old who is both toothless
and blind. Vet treated for colic but horse was still very
uncomfortable. DH decided to try treating for ulcers and
the horse is now doing a great deal better.

Zu Zu
Sep. 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
How about a Moe update? Jingles he is still going strong ~

SunsAfire
Sep. 21, 2010, 08:36 PM
Many jingles to you and your horse :)

Zu Zu
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:08 PM
Any Moe news ????