PDA

View Full Version : Wood chips for turnout? Breaking down?

Huntertwo
Feb. 4, 2010, 02:50 PM
We have 4 turnout areas at my boarding barn. All nice sized which is a plus.

When the BO first took over the barn, she had a lot dump truck loads of wood chips put in 2 of the turnouts. (Got them from the Town which wanted to get rid of them)

The were nice when first put down. Cut down on the mud considerably.

Fast forward 2 years - These two wood chip paddocks are nothing but muck. They never seem to dry out and the muck is DEEP. Over the fetlocks as an example. I literally have to push my mare through the gate as she obviously doesn't want to stand in it.

The other 2 paddocks that were not filled with wood chips have their share of mud, but it is reasonable and dries out quickly.

It's not my place, but are the wood chips the cause of the deep muck?

Should the top layer be scraped off?

Thanks

GoForAGallop
Feb. 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
Yup, they are organic material that breaks down into, you got it, more mud. Wood chips are also used in gardens to TRAP water, so that also adds to the issue.

SonnyandLacy
Feb. 4, 2010, 03:20 PM
She would have been better off putting quary dust/fine stone down.

Guin
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'd think they would rot and turn all spongy, which wouldn't really improve the drainage situation. Isn't something like stone dust or pea gravel the stuff to use for muddy situations?

NEWT
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:52 PM
Time to get out the tractor and scrape it all away. Should make a good topping for your garden! After you scrape put down road cloth then gravel, then top with rock dust. There's nothing about horsekeeping that's easy is there?

Huntertwo
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:39 PM
Time to get out the tractor and scrape it all away. Should make a good topping for your garden! After you scrape put down road cloth then gravel, then top with rock dust. There's nothing about horsekeeping that's easy is there?

Unfortunately I'm not the barn owner...But if it comes up in conversation I'll surely mention it.

I just wanted to make sure the wood chips were behind the problem as the muck is SO deep and never dries out.:no:

PRS
Feb. 5, 2010, 10:32 AM
Yes, wood chips break down and compost. Several loads of sand would have been a better choice.