PDA

View Full Version : SoCAl boarding, are my prices really that outrages?

SecretHavenFarm
Feb. 4, 2010, 01:19 PM
Ok So I have boarded my horse Cowboy for 6 years, and I always seemed to pay quite a bit in board for not alot of service. I was paying $250.00 for just a 12x24 pipe stall with no shelter and no tack storage. It did cover hay.

January last year me and my bf bought a horse property. I have a 4 stall pipe breezeway barn. the stalls are 12x24 fully covered, I have one set of cross ties in the aisle. A small but workable arena/turnout. I was asking $325.00 which would cover hay (which even the cheapest hay is $10.00 a bale), and the stall and bedding, and stall cleaning of course. I was also offering to put on and take of fly masks & feed suppliments (provided by owner) at no extra charge. I am offering private tack sheds. we also have a wash rack, and are within riding distance 2 TWO beautiful public arenas and 200 acres of protected wash, and miles of mountain trails.

I got a few calls and people seemed shock at the price? If I charge any less I will not make any money. I am not looking to get rich, I am just looking to help offset the costs of my 3 horses. We are in LA, board isent cheap, and my prices to me seem on the cheaper side?

So I was wonding what other Socal people (preferable closer to LA) are paying and getting for it. Do you think my prices are unreasonable? I have studied and researched boarding for year. When I was teenager my dream was to open a boarding stable, and do training. But I feel for the services I offer, thats it is a more than fair price, and if feel if I cant atleast get that for my stalls, its not worth it.

SarEQ
Feb. 4, 2010, 02:23 PM
Your rates don't sound unreasonable to me, but I am from a very different part of the country.

Could you call other boarding stables for rates and services, or look at their websites? That way you have an idea of what is being charged and offered.

It sounds like you have a nice place. I'm used to far more turn out, but I know that pretty impossible to come by in your area. Good luck filling your spots.

Another note- where are you advertising? Try to advertise in the areas frequented by your target clients. Or have open houses and clinics if you can convince a trainer to do a day clinic. That may increase interest in your barn!

rizzodm
Feb. 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
For your area that sounds very reasonable. I would hold out and if time keeps going by without boarders then adjust your prices.

Dawn

poltroon
Feb. 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
In Los Angeles that is shockingly cheap, particularly given that you are not charging extra for turnout and feeding supplements.

The biggest issue for you may be that people want more riding facilities, or access to a trainer.

But still, hold your ground. Anyone who thinks that is too high for horse board in LA is probably going to be a PITA boarder anyway. The right boarders will come along.

I would try advertising in the Horsetrader, if you haven't already, or putting up flyers at local tack shops.

Wonders12
Feb. 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
That's very cheap. My only concern would be the smallish arena, but if can ride from your barn to a larger arena (Hansen Dam by any chance?) I don't think it would be a problem.

If anything, you're probably on the cheap side.

atlatl
Feb. 4, 2010, 02:55 PM
Assumming you're in LA county somewhere, it depends where. I'm in Lakewood/Long Beach and pay $425 for a 12x24 pipe corral that is half covered. Hay twice a day is included as is cleaning and bedding. I have a secure tack locker in a secure building. Stalls are cleaned daily. We have a lighted jump area to ride in at night, 6 turn out pens, full dressage court, 7 other various size arenas, 3 wash areas and access to some trails along the riverbed/drainage channel. Barn manager and staff live on the premises. It's not pretty or fancy or particularly well maintained, but the footing's good enough, the hay is good quality and I like the management.

I pay the barn staff extra to feed supplements and blanket. I pay a kid, well she was a kid when we started now she's in college, to turn my horse out on days I don't make it to the barn. Also pay $75/mo to store my trailer.

All that said, it's conveniently located for me on the way home from work. There is pretty much always someone there (safety) and they go the extra mile to take care of my horse.

While the $325 sounds reasonable, even a deal, it's hard to compare without knowing your actual location. You could be at the end of a dirt road that requires 4WD to get to in the rain. If you don't have lights, it will be hard to attract those of us with day jobs. We had 5 horses in the lighted arena last night.

I think I'm getting a screaming deal at $425 compared to LAEC, but there is always someone complaining that they are being overcharged. It's an expensive hobby, especially in So. Cal. Not everyone seems to have figured that part out.

I agree that advertising in the HorseTrader is a good idea. Also, put up flyers at feed stores.

Good Luck.

mypaintwattie
Feb. 4, 2010, 03:52 PM
Sounds reasonable to me, i'm in OC and pay just over $500 which doesn't include bedding. That's for a 12x24 that is 1/2 covered, I had to add another roof myself to completely cover it. But, I am at a large center that has other amenities. Bide your time, advertise where you can, and boarders will come. If you hang flyers at local tack/feed stores be sure to include photos to show just how large your ring is, stalls look, ect. That might generate more interest.

SecretHavenFarm
Feb. 4, 2010, 04:16 PM
I am located in Shadowhills, on one of the main street that run threw the town. No 4x4 needed lol

Wonders12, yes there is the Hansen Dam arena, but a few years ago they put in another very nice arena at Stonehurst park. Which is just a few streets down from my property. So that one is extremely close.

Thank you everyone for the input! Originally we only advertised in the local newsletter. My bf mom said we should get boarders ASAP, and just put the ad out. That was about a year ago. So this time I will make a flyer myself with pictures and im putting on the flyer the price, so they know what im charging

nightsong
Feb. 5, 2010, 05:51 AM
Do the same 'research' as to prices, facilities, services, etc. that you'll expect prospective BOARDERS to do. Then you'll KNOW.

Blue Star
Feb. 5, 2010, 04:45 PM
I am familiar with your area and also board several of our horses horses in different locations and circumstances...your prices are VERY competitive.:eek:

Guilherme
Feb. 5, 2010, 05:00 PM
How many have you signed up?

If none, you're too high.

If you filled up in a morning, you were too low.

The market generally answers this problem. ;)

G.

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 09:04 PM
I would add personalized care " to the ads; what is your turnout situation? how do prices compare in your area?This may be quite regional; around here people look for 24/ 7 riding ; i,e, indoor or lights and all- weather footing outside

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 09:32 PM
n riding distance 2 TWO beautiful public arenas and 200 acres of protected wash, and miles of mountain trails.

If you are marketing to "pleasure trail riders . they will have different wants/ needs than show horse people' More opportunities for "socializing;):cool: after a ride, cookouts BBQs; birthday parties graduation or parties, parades

trailride groups in your area, vet/ farrier SERVICES; . MANAGERS KNOWLEDGE/ experience ; how quickly is a lost or loose shoe noticed, and replaced? :confused:; i.e., ., are horses inspected daily?

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 09:33 PM
n riding distance 2 TWO beautiful public arenas and 200 acres of protected wash, and miles of mountain trails.

If you are marketing to "pleasure trail riders . they will have different wants/ needs than show horse people' More opportunities for "socializing;):cool: after a ride, cookouts BBQs; birthday parties graduation or parties, parades

trailride groups in your area, vet/ farrier SERVICES; . MANAGERS KNOWLEDGE/ experience ; how quickly is a lost or loose shoe noticed, and replaced? :confused:; i.e., ., are horses inspected daily?

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 09:37 PM