View Full Version : Horses ripping up and chewing rubber mats

Feb. 4, 2010, 02:50 AM
So weird. I had a mare at my place for a while and one day when she was waiting in the stall for her pasturemate to finish with the farrier I noticed she was taking big chunks out of a corner of the rubber mat in the stall she was in and chewing on them. She seemed to realize after about the third chunk that perhaps it really wasn't as palatable as she originally thought. I actually had to rinse her mouth out, she had that much rubber in it.

Then this morning I noticed a corner of a mat in a yearling's stall was chewed up. Not sure if he did it or another horse, but has anyone seen any other horses doing this???

These horses all get plenty of turnout, pretty much free choice hay, complete feeds, teeth checked regularly. Is it just boredom?

Feb. 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
I have never seen a horse do that before! I would guess boredom... especially if you are SURE they are getting all the nutrients they need

Feb. 4, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'd never seen it before either. It was weird watching the mare rip at and chew the mat. And she was taking BIG chunks out of it too! And it was like she knew exactly what she was doing.

Feb. 4, 2010, 11:57 PM
And here I thought I had the most destructive horses on earth....

Feb. 5, 2010, 01:16 AM
And here I thought I had the most destructive horses on earth....

Feb. 6, 2010, 12:48 AM

If it were me...

toys? give her a milk jug with a handful of grain in it to play with. Or a length of old garden hose to whip around.

tie her when she is exhibiting this behavior. big believer in this one.

if the mats can't be secured to the stall walls, buy two by fours and nail them pictureframe like around the interior edge of the the stall floor so she can't get the edge of the mats up to destroy them.

Tangerine Farmer
Feb. 6, 2010, 02:27 AM
I used to give my monsters traffic cones... until I found them chewed to stubs and pieces of orange plastic in the manure.

One gelding would stand there nipping off pieces, and it appears that he swallowed them too!

And stall mats were also on his list.. if they stuck up a little.

No more toys!