PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Horse Fence Recommendations

zhorse
Feb. 3, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hey All,

I have a 20 acre farm and I currently have it fenced in electric wire. After a wonderful visit to Lexington, I am dying to convert my electric to four rail Kentucky fence. I live in MO and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations about whom to hire (out of Kentucky) and what the cost is for a property of my size (fenced and cross fenced).

Thanks for any help you may provide.

BasqueMom
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:44 PM
Two companies I'm aware of are www.dennisfence.com and www.shuckfence.com. They both do a variety of fencing but think they specialize in four-board. Dennis Fence did Jonabell Farm near the airport about
5-6 years ago in Centaur black 4-rail--gorgeous job.

They might also be able to refer you to someone more local as am sure the
cost of install will go up to travel that far. Shuck Fence was especially helpful
when I called one day to ask some questions about posts and gave me lots of
useful information.

dmalbone
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm in central Indiana, so not very close, but I've heard of Dennis Fence. There's another on the tip of my brain that I just can't quite get!

LauraKY
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:25 AM
Fence here is about $5.50 to $6.00 per foot for three board and $6.00 to $6.50 per foot for four board. That includes painting.

I would think that any competent wood fence builder could manage it, with the proper instructions. We build and repair our own, it's really not very hard. For that much property, I would recommend having the posts pounded in.

DLee
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:28 AM
I second Dennis Fence, they did our fence and we love it. Also one of the most reasonable priced fencers here. Make sure you get Vance Dennis (there is another Dennis as well).

zhorse
Feb. 4, 2010, 01:12 PM
I really appreciate your input! I am making the call now.

zhorse
Feb. 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hey COTHers!

I talked to Vance Dennis (super nice) and just receive my quote. They charge by the panel, but it works out to 19 dollars a foot. Anyone know anyone good who can do it for less. I can't afford the 54,000 dollars they estimate this project costing. Or am I just out of luck???? (I expected something in the upper 20's to low 30's.

Guin
Feb. 4, 2010, 07:21 PM
$19 a FOOT?? :eek::eek::eek:

LauraKY
Feb. 4, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hey COTHers!

I talked to Vance Dennis (super nice) and just receive my quote. They charge by the panel, but it works out to 19 dollars a foot. Anyone know anyone good who can do it for less. I can't afford the 54,000 dollars they estimate this project costing. Or am I just out of luck???? (I expected something in the upper 20's to low 30's.

That can't be for oak. If it is, I'm moving to your neck of the woods and going into fence building!

zhorse
Feb. 4, 2010, 07:34 PM
No, not 19 dollars a foot. I am an idiot. It is 7 and a 1/2 a foot. Total 54K for twenty acres. Sound right??? I just hoped it would be in the 30K range.

Dreaming....

redhorse5
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:00 PM
Find a decent carpenter in your area. Take pictures of Kentucky fence and get some bids. This is not difficult.

Make sure you use 6 inch posts. These are more expensive but it looks better and holds up better especially if you drive the posts. If you have hilly land you will want to put some of these in with concrete, but you can get away with only doing the corner areas.

Make sure they curve the corners of the pastures and if you do double fences make sure you leave about 12 feet between pastures. If you are handy yourself you can supervise the work yourself and just hire some labor.

Here in KY we have great fence guys but most of the big farms have staff that do it.. Just remember the collective IQ of a fence crew is probably under 200. It is not hard.. Just get the skill saw, plumb, galvanized nails and a level and go at it.

Oh, the rails are put on the inside of the posts to avoid accidents and having them lean against or kick out the rails and a plate or vertical rail is put on the seam on the outside.

http://barnsandfences.com/images/4%20board%20fence%201.jpg

zhorse
Feb. 4, 2010, 09:45 PM
The only worry I have about the DIYS project is the curving process. Any suggestions on that?

zhorse
Feb. 4, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks again!!!!

DLee
Feb. 5, 2010, 09:04 AM
Wow, up in price in three years, we paid $5. :( Sorry about that!
Not everyone curves the corners, Vance does and I prefer curved corners, but it's not a necessity.