PDA

View Full Version : Mini Donkeys in WNY

amastrike
Feb. 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
In a couple of months, I'm going to get mini donkeys. The problem is, they're hard to find! Most of the donkeys I find are fancy, expensive show/driving donkeys, or babies with such potential. All I want are two or three friendly mini donkeys to entertain me and keep my horses company. Does anyone know of mini donkey rescues in WNY? As these will be purely for fun and don't need to be good for anything, I'd like to find mini donkeys who are in need of a good home. Would it be best to contact a breeder and see if they know of rescues or weedonks in need of a new home? I'm inquiring quite a bit before I'll actually get them, but I'd like to have something to go on when it's time to buy. Also, I've wanted weedonks for years and I'm so excited that I can finally get some, hence the early preparation.

Angela Freda
Feb. 2, 2010, 10:24 PM
You could go to Unadilla auction, I know my friend got a Donk there last week or the week before. And talk abut cheap... sickening actually.

GoForAGallop
Feb. 2, 2010, 11:23 PM
Do a google search for Save Your Ass Rescue. :) I thiiinkkkk they're based in New Hampshire, but they could at the very least give you some sort of starting point.

Snowflake
Feb. 2, 2010, 11:28 PM
In a couple of months, I'm going to get mini donkeys. The problem is, they're hard to find! Most of the donkeys I find are fancy, expensive show/driving donkeys, or babies with such potential. All I want are two or three friendly mini donkeys to entertain me and keep my horses company. Does anyone know of mini donkey rescues in WNY? As these will be purely for fun and don't need to be good for anything, I'd like to find mini donkeys who are in need of a good home. Would it be best to contact a breeder and see if they know of rescues or weedonks in need of a new home? I'm inquiring quite a bit before I'll actually get them, but I'd like to have something to go on when it's time to buy. Also, I've wanted weedonks for years and I'm so excited that I can finally get some, hence the early preparation.

There's a breeder on Three Rod in Alden. She doesn't overprice and wants good homes for her babies. She may have some older adults to rehome. I can take you over there and introduce you if you want.

amastrike
Feb. 3, 2010, 10:09 AM
Oh dear, I couldn't go to an auction, I'd come home with every critter that gave me a sad look.

Haha, Save Your Ass is the best rescue name ever! That's another great thing about donkeys.. all the ass jokes! I can't wait to get them so I can talk about all the cute asses I was checking out and what a cute little ass I've got. :D

Snowflake, that would be great! I'd probably hold off until late March or so, since that's probably about the soonest I'd be able to get any.

Blue Star
Feb. 5, 2010, 04:50 PM
We got a pair of honker donker rescues and they are the talk of the town...they bray for breakfast and act as the neighborhood alarm clocks...they also bray when anyone strange drives in the gates....better than watch dogs! ENJOY!!! (They do NOT like to be alone....get two or at least another animal to share their paddock, like a companion horse or goat....NOT a dog!)

tazz001
Feb. 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have 2 mini donks, both jennets. I have been seriously considering rehoming them. We bought them for the children when they were younger and as kiddies do, they have outgrown them and have no interest in horses. Here they sit getting chubby as they are both air ferns.

Let me know if you are interested. I would love to find them a great loving home. Nither are anything special, just cute and adorable. And to top it all off they are quiet (weird for donkeys)

PM me if interested and I can send some pics. Oh and I am located just south of Elmira NY

chai
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:45 PM
They are hilarious and so much fun. We have two:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/eastmeadowfarm/DSC_0023.jpg

They are smart, crafty and affectionate. They bray to us every time we drive up the driveway, come out of the house or walk by their stall. It is so cute...but loud! You have to have the right kind of fencing for them because they can limbo under just about anything.

Good luck finding your mini donks and have fun.

CrzyCorgi
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:15 PM
Have you tried Butternut Ridge Miniature Donks? They are in Peru, NY. You can find their info here: http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/butternut_ridge_farm.htm

amastrike
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the info, everyone! We've got a few leads we're looking into. The big thing is we don't want a fancy show donkey or necessarily a young one. I really just want two or three donkeys who need a good home. Some fencing is ~5.5' wood.. lowest board is maybe 12" from the ground, the others are close together. The rest of the fencing is 8 strand HT wire, some of the wires are hot. Nothing is getting out!

Tazz, I'll definitely contact you if we don't find anything nearby, thanks!

Snowflake
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:38 PM
Should anyone require a personal reference for amastrike, I can provide one. The farm they're at is BEAUTIFUL and well maintained.