PDA

View Full Version : W Central Ga. People what about this one?

pj
Feb. 2, 2010, 02:00 PM
Don't mind saying I'm getting desperate for different places to ride without having to travel to the moon.

Talked to someone yesterday who mentioned Clinton Reserve in Douglasville.
They had never been but were told there were LOTS of trails there but you had to know where they were or you just didn't find them.
Anyone know anything about this place?

spotnnotfarm
Feb. 2, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hi Pj

I have ridden there before and could not find the trails. I have also heard there are a lot. I may take my dogs there one day and look for them. I wish things would dry out. I have not trailed out for awhile and am going CRAZY!

By the way have you seen my thread about the ride I am co-hosting on June 6th at Foxhall? Please come!

Christina

pj
Feb. 2, 2010, 02:51 PM
If we just knew someone who knew where the trails were we could get together and mark the trails (and clean up if needed).
Such a shame for trails to be so close and we can't find them. :(

I am going to ride tomorrow with the friends who have Roosevelt Stables.
We're going to ride a trail that is sadly underused and needs riding. I've always liked that trail myself, don't understand why others don't use it. It's challenging but not that much.
:D I'm going to ride one of their horses that I've had my eye on for a while.
Pretty gray Arab.

I did see your post on Foxhall but I really don't do that kind of stuff.
:lol: Got to where I don't go anywhere for fun but the trails. Hope it is a success and y'all have a great time.

spotnnotfarm
Feb. 2, 2010, 02:58 PM
I love riding at Roosevelt. Are their trails in decent shape?

Sometime we need to meet up and ride. We go to all the same places. Have you been to Boundary lately? I have heard conflicting information about it's condition. I hope we dry put soon!

pj
Feb. 2, 2010, 03:12 PM
Their trails tend to drain well and quickly. I've never yet seen them too wet to ride and I've ridden there a lot. Some of the trail on the creek trail will tend to be mushy but not what I'd consider bad.

There is one spot on the lake trail that gets pretty mushy but when I first starting riding there there was always water standing on it but not now. I don't know what changed. If you ride there and come to it bear left instead of going straight through if you heading toward the lake although lots of folks go straight through with no problem. Just look left and you'll see the way to go.

I love riding there and have really missed it while my gal hasn't had shoes.

pj
Feb. 4, 2010, 12:02 PM
Got a good three and a half hour ride in yesterday on the unused trail at Roosevelt. We remarked it so it's marked much much better than it was.
For those endurance and serious trail riders in the area this is the training trail for you! Big hills galore. They have tied it in with the cowboy trail which you can or cannot do along with it, your choice.

I had a blast! Rode their Arab gelding Gun SMoke and he's something else.
That boy is so sure footed, can walk a hole in the wind and has a silky smooth trot. If he were for sale (he's not) and if I could have three horses (I can't) I would sure buy him.

Oh, and I rode in a WESTERN saddle. An Abetti (spelling?) Comfortable saddle and I'm amazed that I don't have a single sore spot today. It was every bit as comfortable as my english saddles.

Weather permitting we're going to do it again next week. :D

spotnnotfarm
Feb. 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
Sounds like fun! I love Roosevelt. I have not ridden there in a while since my horse is barefoot. I need to get him boots so I can hit rocky trails again. That trail sounds great!

FatCatFarm
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
The thing about the Roosevelt trails that I disliked is that most were incredibly rocky.

pj
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:30 AM
The thing about the Roosevelt trails that I disliked is that most were incredibly rocky.
Some are. Particularly the overlook but some are not. A horse could do the creek and the lake trails bare foot if they have decent feet.
The bridle trail (dumb name for that trail) is not rocky although it's a tough trail, all up and down.

FatCatFarm
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:48 AM
I've ridden there twice and have done the overlook and the lake trails and while some were okay; rocks predominated. Lots of rocks. I came away more worried about bruised and wrenched fetlocks than sore feet. Still, beautiful riding there.

FatCatFarm
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
As to Clinton, have been there just once so far with a friend of mine who mountain bikes there often and there did seem to be alot of good trails. She was my guide. Am looking forward to going back.

There is also alot of good riding at Cochran Mill in Palmetto though the trails can often be blocked with windfalls and it can be soggy going if the weather has been really wet.

pnalley
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:25 PM
We may be on to a new place on the Pike/Spalding line. We rode there yesterday. It's 2500 acres, a few lakes, alligators:eek:

Decent place, nice wide trails, I *think* you could take a driving horse there if you were not timid. We crossed 3 water crossings, all with gentle slopes but all granite so slicker then owl poop.

Reservations are required, so far I don't know what they will charge or if it will be open daily or if we will need to pre-schedule rides. We rode 2 hours 45 minutes and never crossed the same trail twice. I'm sure it could be stretched out longer.

Some friends are going to try Concord Church tomorrow. I think it will be too wet to be fun or safe, but I'll let you guys know. Mack Salters is open, I *think* his trails are OK.

I also have heard that Ceder Creek Ranch in Coweta county is allowing trail riding. afriend said they charge $5 per rider (honor system) you can use the arena to warm up in. My friend stated she can ride about 2 and a half hours there. I'll try to find out more & post soon.

FatCatFarm
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
What is the place called at the Pike/Spalding County line?

Have you been to Dawsett? I've heard good things about it.

Have ridden at Cedar Creek Ranch and it's nice. Not a huge amount of trails there but good for an hour or two and nice people.

Hadn't heard of Concord Church before.

spotnnotfarm
Feb. 23, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Pnalley and Fat Cat

I would love to know more about the trails on the Pike/Spalding line. Is it a private place? The alligators is one form of wildlife I have never seen before on a trail!

I have not heard of Cedar Creek Ranch. Where in Newnan is it?

FatCatFarm
Feb. 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
Cedar Creek is on Gordon Road closer to the Haralson/Senoia side than Newnan. The owner shows Western Pleasure I believe but they have a regular arena that is bordered by wood fencing and then another, dressage type arena that is unenclosed and also serves at the jump course. The trails meander through the woods on the back and far side of the property. Some are old logging roads and others your usual knee knocker variety through the woods. The trails on the far side of the barns go through somewhat of a more marshy area,

pnalley
Feb. 27, 2010, 12:35 PM
The Pike/Spal line would not be advertised anywhere. It is privately owned. I think it is called Indian Creek Farm. We should learn more about it at our next horse club meeting.

Concord Church is part of the National Forest system. There is Concord Church, 1099 & Smith Mill all tied in together.

Yes, we have ridden at Daucett. It is nice, one water crossing going in. You can ride the outer perimeter in about 1 hour 45 minutes, but there are many other trails that wind in and around. There is a picnic area with hitching posts in the middle. Daucett is our "Old Reliable" when other trails are closed. The parking is gravel, but a barefoot horse should be fine on the trails.

I haven't ridden at Cochran Mill in over 15 years. It would be like new trails for me