PDA

View Full Version : Rubber footing questions

SCF
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:42 PM
Does anyone have colored rubber in there arena?

How much Rubber to sand? 1/2 and 1/2? anyone do all rubber?

Do you like shredded or small pieces (I think they come in 1/4 inch and 3/8)

Please tell me your likes and dislikes. Thanks for any info

joyful
Feb. 2, 2010, 05:39 PM
Small rubber pieces, 1" rubber, 2" sand. Footing preferences are very personal and vary according to your sport.

Sparky
Feb. 2, 2010, 07:12 PM
We have Perma Flex, same ratio as joyful's. But that's in our indoor--the neighbors who put it in their outdoor watched a lot of it float away with the first good rain! Anyhow, we do flatwork and jumping, have had it for ten years, maybe 10 to 12 horses a day on it and it has been an amazingly consistent riding surface.

SCF
Feb. 13, 2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks Joyful and Sparky

would still like to hear from more people! I have not found anyone that has neg. comments about it, I can't hardly believe that it has worked great for everyone.

Thanks again everyone
Lana

BunithGrace
Feb. 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
We have rubber, small dime to nickel sized pieces, mixed with angular sand in our indoor. Just did a dose of MAG and there is no more dust from the sand! I really like the mix.

mkevent
Feb. 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have Perma flex in my arena (outdoor) and I love it!!

Like Sparky said, you do have to make sure that it doesn't float away. My arena is crowned, so I put 3/4" stone in the area where the arena drains. That prevents the rubber from floating out to the surrounding pastures.

The Perma flex is black. I've found that my arena does defrost more quickly than the surrounding pastures. As long as there isn't a hard freeze for an extended period of time, I can usually ride in it in the mid 30 degree weather.

I would highly recommend the Perma flex or any crumpled type rubber arena. I think I've had mine almost 15 years(?)(to lazy to look it up for exact time). My neighbor had the shredded tennis shoe arena and that didn't hold up very well at all-I guess the fabric degraded too quickly(?).

slantedhorse
Nov. 17, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm looking to out that in my arena (outdoor) with sand. Was wondering if people liked it when I found this thread.... Does it get dusty when it breaks down or what?

MeghanDACVA
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:35 PM
I too have PermaFlex. And love it. My arena is a full size arena but only half of it is "indoors"; One end is open.
We used a mix of 1/3 rubber, 1/3 sand (I strongly suggest springing for the extra $ and use concrete, or C-33, sand) and 1/3 screenings (or blue stone, depending on what they call it where you are).
It is great in the indoor/covered part and very all weather in the outdoor/uncovered part.

xitmom
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
We just got rubber for our indoor from Mahantango Enterprises. The pieces are about 3/8" in size and the footing is nice and springy. It is not dusty and does not have metal wires, etc. in it from the recycling process. We are really pleased. We need to add more sand now and it will be awesome when we are done.

AdAblurr02
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:19 AM
I have seen a few arenas where the rubber has aged and become ground down - and that black rubber dust is really nasty, nasty stuff to deal with. I personally prefer the more modern felt blends like GGT etc.

MeghanDACVA
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:38 AM
I know a place that spent boocoo bucks on very nice felt/fabric footing. And had good sand footing in place to add it to. Initially it was GREAT. But they dont' work it. So where it is ridden on alot, and esp where jumps are, it has packed very badly.
So, no matter what footing you have you HAVE to work it.