PDA

View Full Version : Coldwater Rec Area Trails/Milton FL: Trail conditions?

katarine
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:36 PM
The trails and campgrounds sustained heavy damage from flooding last Spring. If you've ridden there recently...could I get a trail update? Trying to determine if it's in good shape. The website says 15 miles of trails open at this time- that's not much on a gaited horse :)

Current trail reports are welcome, please!

jazzrider
Feb. 4, 2010, 06:47 PM
(crickets chirping) :uhoh:

:winkgrin:

rmh_rider
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:06 PM
Their website says 15 miles are open.

Coldwater Recreation Area
*NOTE: Fifteen miles of trail are now open for horseback riding at Coldwater after the recent major floods. The remainder of the trails are still closed due to safety concerns and are presently under repair. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. For more information about this recreation area, contact the Florida Division of Forestry at 850-957-6161.

Here is their website:

http://www.fl-dof.com/state_Forests/blackwater_river_more_info.html#coldwater

Our endurance ride was cancelled due to major flooding of the trails and the area last year.

Call the number or post on ridecamp and ask. That is a very active website for info.

15 miles isn't much for endurance training or competing either.

Good Luck

katarine
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:35 PM
I tried to call a few times today- message says 18 miles of trails and the campground is open.

Humph.

ex-racer owner
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:11 PM
I don't really have anything to add about the trails, but you are the first person I have ever come across that knew about Blackwater State Park! My BFF lives outside of Milton and we went trail riding there once. It is a very nice park, but we got the shock of our lives when we were getting ready to ride out from the equestrian facilities and came across a chain gang :eek:. She had only lived in Florida for maybe a year and a half and it was the first time taking the horses to the park. We didn't realize what was going on until we saw the guards with shotguns at the ready. We don't have chain gangs up here, so we were a little spooked!

Kellye
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:22 PM
I don't really have anything to add about the trails, but you are the first person I have ever come across that knew about Blackwater State Park! My BFF lives outside of Milton and we went trail riding there once. It is a very nice park, but we got the shock of our lives when we were getting ready to ride out from the equestrian facilities and came across a chain gang :eek:. She had only lived in Florida for maybe a year and a half and it was the first time taking the horses to the park. We didn't realize what was going on until we saw the guards with shotguns at the ready. We don't have chain gangs up here, so we were a little spooked!

OMG, I just had to laugh at this post. I lived in Milton for a couple of years and being a Native Floridian who was born and raised in Central Florida (think Orlando and Tampa) I can tell you that the NWFla Panhandle region is NOTHING like the rest of the State. In fact, the locals call their area "lower Alabama" and for good reason. Please don't think all of Florida is like that, because it isn't. I've been riding in Central Florida for over 30 years and there has NEVER been a chain gang at any place I've ever ridden down here where things are a bit more "progressive". Once you get west of Tallahassee, it's more like Alabama than the lower peninsula of Florida, in terrain, ecosystems and culture.