PDA

View Full Version : GPS info??

Simbalism
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:39 AM
I am going to be the trail ride coordinator for the riding club I belong to this year. I thought it would be fun to have a GPS to get an idea of how far we have traveled and maybe to create a "map" that I can share with other members. I don't want to spend a fortune, and want a model that will be fairly easy to use on horseback. I tried searching on several of the forums and found a couple, but none really compared different brands. I also tried doing a general online search to see if I could find a general comparison of different brands/models. I casually checked to see what the Walmart carried near me, and they had a Magellan Triton which seemed to be a decent price and had some maps included and had several discs that could be used to download further maps. You also get some kind of map credits which allows you to go online and have access to some further maps. I am not very tech savy, and don't want to have to take a course just to understand the use of the darn thing. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Molly Malone
Feb. 2, 2010, 08:08 AM
The etrex basic handheld model (Voyager, I think?) is about $100. It is very easy to use.

If you don't want the expense of downloading maps etc, you can upload the GPX file you have created (by downloading your data onto your computer with the software that comes with the GPS) to this website:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

You will see your trail displayed as a google map which you can either print or share with others online

Simbalism
Feb. 3, 2010, 01:04 AM
MM, Thanks for your reply. It is kind of mind boggling to try to research all the different brands/models and figure out what the best features are and which are not really neccessary.

gypsymare
Feb. 3, 2010, 01:12 AM
I have an eTrex Legend H. Fantastic reception even stuffed in a saddle bag in valleys with full tree cover. I found mine online for $100. You can download free maps online that other people have made to share. Luckily someone has mapped nearly every hiking biking and riding trail near where I live. If you just want to log tracks I'd say go with a Garmin forerunner wrist watch type for the small size or an eTrex legend H for something cheap to throw in a saddle bag. If you want to navigate by it then step up to a color screen. It's really hard to see on a black and white screen which is the marked trail, which is the track you're making and if you load a topo map it will just be a mess of lines. Mine will still point me in the direction of my trailer waypoint if I get lost but it is difficult navigating a new trail by it.

Molly Malone
Feb. 3, 2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, the Etrex legend was the one I meant. Sorry. Switch it on and go.

The other option is that if you have an iphone you can buy a GPS app

http://www.garafa.com/GPSKit/Home.html