View Full Version : The best laid plans...........

Feb. 1, 2010, 10:40 PM
of horse and rider are shot.

Took my mare for a fantastic trail ride on Saturday, she was fabulous! Got to the barn this morning, 3 leg lame. She was fine yesterday, but somehow strained the suspensory on her left hind leg. 2 weeks stall rest, then hand walking as she progresses. Minimum of 2 months off, likely more. Sigh. The worrisome part is that she weaves, so I'm particularly concerned that she will heal well.

Feb. 2, 2010, 09:44 AM
Jingles from PA and so sorry to hear that :(

Feb. 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
When my mare pulled a suspensory, my vet instructed me to put her in a small paddock, rather than stall rest. His reasoning was that he didn't want her to "tear around" yet he wanted her to have some movement to prevent the formation of scar tissue. Perhaps you could ask your vet about this option. Your horse might be happier in a slightly larger area than a stall.

Best of luck...

Feb. 2, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm so sorry. Fingers and toes crossed that your gal heals well and quickly.

Feb. 2, 2010, 10:34 PM
Second GallopHer... does your vet know she weaves? She may do more damage in the stall than out in a small paddock. You might want to double-check with the vet, I know someone else who had a similar situation (horse was crazy in the stall, fine out) and they opted to ditch the stall rest... he came back from the injury just fine.