PDA

View Full Version : Couch Dogs

drmgncolor
Feb. 1, 2010, 03:22 PM
I am starting to look for a new couch. Ok... so I really need another couch. Seems that DH and I have created two rather large monsters... the couch (farm) dogs. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3339906&l=f019cde26a&id=578147844) We can't even sit on our own couch anymore! The (farm) pups are just too stinkin' cute to move and have furrified the couch cover. The yellow one is the worst. Not to mention this couch cover generally smells of ode de pooch. And no matter how many times I wash the cover, it is still full of fur. And it fits very poorly. The couch underneath isn't the greatest as the cat pretty much took care of all four corners and the material itself isn't holding up well. We are certainly up to giving the (farm) pups their very own couch... the old one they have pretty much already claimed.

So I am trying to figure out exactly what the best couch material is for those of us who let their (farm) dogs on the furniture. We have a microfiber love seat the dog are not allowed on and they seem pretty obedient and not get on it. The microfiber attracts (farm) dog hair like crazy and is hard to get it out. The new couch will primarily be for the bipeds of the family, but I know that when we aren't home, the (farm) dogs are likely to get on it from time to time.

I am leaning towards leather because it won't attract the fur or (farm) dog smell. I keep their nails super short and clipped all the time... think weekly to biweekly pedicures... will their nails really be an issue on leather? The cat is outdoors completely now, so claw sharpening is no longer an issue.

If not leather, what's the best fabric for dogs that run around the horse farm, jump in farm lakes, roll in farm arena sand thus getting all stinky and then shedding said stinky hair on couch?

lcw579
Feb. 1, 2010, 03:49 PM
Go with leather. Our leather couch started out off limits but sadly that rule fell by the wayside and it doesn't smell and stays neat and is easy to clean.

Funny story, we had indoor/outdoor cats and were told that the cats would not scratch leather. New couch was in the house 30 seconds when nasty little female cat came in, jumped up on arm and sharpened her claws! :eek: Did the same thing to the other side and so at least it became evenly "distressed" - I swear she did it just to make a point because after the first week she never touched it again.

Belleaphant
Feb. 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
Well in my experience, a nice thick leather couch works fairly well for the hair factor. And is easy to wipe up muddy pawprints too! My dogs did puncuture through ours after 1 1/2 yrs. We have 7 dogs.. A Pit, PitXcollie, A Blk lab, Golden, Cheseapeake bay retreiver, a rotti X, and now a pointer. And beleive me these dogs can test a couch. They are ROUGH when it comes to playing. They come running in through the basement hatch (if we don't lock the door in time when they come back from their hike in the woods/resevoir) and charge up the stairs into the living room and onto the couches for some play time wrestling. We did have a microfiber/ fake suede one that they destroyed after 3yrs. But that one held funky odors and a lot of hair & dirt. I thought the fake suede one was very uncomfy but it depends on the style and if you typically have 4 dogs in your lap watching tv :). If your worried about punctures you can keep a nice sheet/blanket over the cushions. We tried that but covers are usless in our house especially against a lab, golden, and a rotti at full play. I think leather would be your best bet.
Good Luck!!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Feb. 1, 2010, 03:56 PM
Leather, and not the super soft stuff. My super soft, gorgeous (not cheap) leather couch and chair look like crap and my pleather club chair from Target looks great. We cover the couch cushions with a blanket too. My female is a nester and digs in. UGH.

What's really destroyed my stuff is the cats and the times they "almost" made it onto the arm or back of the couch--but not quite. I really wish sometimes I would have had them declawed.

fivehorses
Feb. 1, 2010, 05:37 PM
I try to avoid leather, for ethical reasons, nuff said.

I have slip covers. Its a heavy dute cotton from pottery barn.
I love it. I throw it in the wash when they get dirty, and I just realized they are 20 years old!!!!

I have been seen in clothing stores or fabric shops, rubbing the material on the floor to see how much it picks up. You'd be surprised how much some fabrics attract hair/lint/dirt, etc and others do not.

Arizona DQ
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:01 PM
In the winter, I have wool blankets and in the summer, a nice sheet to cover the couch. I have tired to move to another loveseat, but they just follow me. So I have given up, not to mention all the dried grass the dogs bring in during the winter! Live with it and just get one of those hand vacs to suck up the really bad stuff! :lol:

Cielo Azure
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:19 PM
I don't mind the dogs (I have FOUR Aussies -so, i know hair!!! I have leather (gulp) -20 year veggie but cloth lasts all but a year or two because of the other monsters that live in my house. It is the dang cats and their sharpening their claws that do all the damage to my furniture. Leather outlasts cloth but after these cats go to their grave -one is a teen and one is "disabled", NO MORE CATS in the house (did I just add that "in the house")!!! NO, no backing down -NO MORE CATS PERIOD.

redhorse5
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
Wow, this just makes me feel so much better.

jetsmom
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:37 PM
Leather. I've had my couch for 7 yrs w/3 dogs and it still looks new.

JSwan
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:49 PM
No suggestions - just wanted to say that photo is absolutely priceless.

I also have couch dogs.

I finally gave up and bought a clay colored bedspread, and covered the chairs with washable throws.

Somewhere in all these couch dog stories there is a "you might be a redneck if" moment.:lol:

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 1, 2010, 08:57 PM
leather!
if it's cheap crap it will scratch, but good leather will stay looking great.
in the showroom, pick a discreet area and give it a scrape with your fingernail. if it scratches, well you have your answer, and discretely walk away

drmgncolor
Feb. 1, 2010, 09:12 PM
No suggestions - just wanted to say that photo is absolutely priceless.

I also have couch dogs.

I wish I could say that was a once in a lifetime photo, but alas it's a daily occurrence. Yellow dog is now almost twice the size she was in that picture. She was just a wee pup then. :)

I love them though... they are great snugglers. A bit annoying however when I actually want to sit on the couch.

I understand ethical reasons behind not choosing leather as my very good friends are veggies and I tried to be for a while. I just wanted to hear experiences and testimonies from others who have an love dogs.

As to the cat scratch fever... well I am in the same boat as the poster who said no more indoor un-declawed kitties. :) I used to be completely against declawing... now, not so much.

Love the idea of the fingernail test. Think that will be implemented. Alas after talking to DH, I find out we will NOT be getting the tax return this year we have always gotten in the past. I was planning on using that to buy us a nice new couch of our very own. Apparently he sold stock last year. Loverly. Just loverly.

Ah well. Once I get the horse trailer paid off, I am getting a new couch, Dangummit!

chemteach
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
We have four couch dogs although they are Chihuahuas. We put thin washable quilt over the couch and wash it once a week. Try using Borax or Febreeze in your wash water; it works wonder. Although they don't smell doggy like big dogs, they do puke. :eek:

pintopiaffe
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
waahhh.... facebook is blocked by my server here. (work :lol: like I should complain!)

But THIS I agree with:

Wow, this just makes me feel so much better.

:yes: :lol:

I have two big ol' couch dogs. And Bed Dogs. And then add 1 old kitty, and 1 youngish kitty, and 4 IttyBitty (NOTsomuchanymore) Kitties... and...

:sigh:

Foxtrot's
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:53 PM
Plan a) Keep current couch and status quo;

Plan b) Keep current couch for dogs, buy new leather couch for yourselves and hope they prefer their cosy, smelly one;

Plan c) Go to Costco and buy two of those gorgeous, huge, plump round ones for about $24.00 ea (here in Canada - probably cheaper in US). The cedar smells nice and budget to throw them out occasionally....maybe they will use them.

Rocky
Feb. 2, 2010, 12:58 AM
I am currently looking at 2 labra-couch-dogs. I have leather,-it's actually the same color as my chocolate lab-and keep a "throw" on it.

The paws/nails have never scratched it and the escaped lab hair wipes off with damp cloth.

I got some sort of cleaning kit and use it about 2 times a year. The leather doesn't seem to hold the "doggie scent" but then I might not have the most keen sense of smell...lol. I do toss the throw/cover in the washer once or twice a week.

Sometimes they actually share it with me, and I stay toasty warm.

I highly reccomend leather for dog furniture....lol

Rhyadawn
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm not going to be in the market to upgrade my furniture for a while, but my parents just did last year and they got leather. OMG is it nice! Quick wipe off for the hair and muddy prints (my dogs are complete couch dogs), it's so nice!

I would buy leather, no questions asked. I haven't found it to scratch, and I'm not that great at keeping the dogs nails short (I try, but then I forget for a couple weeks). My dogs go with me to my parent's house all the time, and they stay there when I work nights.

lcw579
Feb. 2, 2010, 09:25 AM
I finally gave up and bought a clay colored bedspread, and covered the chairs with washable throws.

JSwan, I too search for bedspreads in "dirty dogprint brown" - it's sad. I've been looking but I won't spend much since the bed always has at least one dog or cat on it and all the associated dirt and hair. Then when I find something within the appropriate price point and possible color I feel it and if it is too delicate, it doesn't pass the strength test. I think I am destined to keep the old one for another 5 years until it falls apart on us one night. :lol:

As for my couch dogs, rescue mutt is on the leather couch, it matches his color. And the big poodle is ensconced on "her" couch, and make no mistakes it is HERS! You can practically sit on her and she won't get off. When a child is home sick and she has to share it all day, you have never seen such an annoyed dog. You'd never know that they each have big fluffy beds all over the house too. :no::) Spoiled dogs.

Oh, don't get loose back cushions. The poodle has figured out that they can be squished down for extra padding and now even when plumped up and frebreezed her sofa looks a mess. To be fair the kids started it but she has taken it to a new level.

pj
Feb. 2, 2010, 11:34 AM
I have been seen in clothing stores or fabric shops, rubbing the material on the floor to see how much it picks up. You'd be surprised how much some fabrics attract hair/lint/dirt, etc and others do not.

:eek:

I'll bet they just love to see you come in.
:)

jazzrider
Feb. 2, 2010, 12:11 PM

Raises hand to admit we also have Virginia clay colored throw blankets on our bed and big fabric couch, and have introduced the color into our decor nicely. Thank you Target! :D

We are also about to buy new couches for our family room, and I've been doing a lot of research on what's best when you have two big couch dogs. If we can afford it, we're going with leather. Do the fingernail test when you're in the store. If your nail scratches the leather, it's too good leather for a dog house! I'm also concerned with the construction of it, since our couches float in the room and everyone seems to need to sit on the back of them. Going to furniture stores is a huge trek for us -- I'm so ready to be done with this process. And finally have furniture that's not a magnet for dog and horse hair. :yes:

LauraKY
Feb. 2, 2010, 12:26 PM
We actually shopped specifically for a sofa that didn't attract hair. Found a really nice chenille, took a cushion home for dog hair attachment test. We keep a blanket on it the the dog is "supposed" to lie on the blanket. Which she usually does, because she loves her fleece blanket.

Collie can't get up (arthritis), lab allowed only when DD is by herself and coonhound is NOT allowed up (he gets aggressive towards other dogs when given too many privileges.)

Collie has her own futon, with a pillow, in my office which is lower to the ground. It's covered with a waterproof pad (hey, she's old) and either a sheet or a futon cover, which I wash frequently.

CatOnLap
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:36 PM
Woweee, my first thought is how inhumane you are to your couch dogs

Don't you know it is completely unnatural for them to live on a couch? They must first of all, have proper rock ledges to sun themselves on, and proper caves to sleep in, and above all, you absolutely must keep a pack of least 6 of them or they won't develop proper pack etiquette! Don't keep them in the house! Or you are likely to wake up one day with them nibbling on your earlobes and not in a nice way, but in a "wonder if the rest of her tastes this good" way.

However, if you must purchase furniture for your dogs and cannot keep them in a natural way, you must at least buy stuff that matches the dog. (http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/21716b17206acb0e0467bf0395ee4dda35d924c0.jpg)

PS: that is a microfibre print and not real tigerskin. And the dogs were only 8 monthsd old there and are now twice as big. I am going to ahve to get a camel coloured couch for the dog on the floor.

ManyDogs
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:51 PM
Oh, thank God :D as I have given up on our furniture. As I write this, PekeAPoo is resting his head on me, Big Dog is the other end, DH has the poodle mix and cat on his recliner (with him). Under the layers of sheets/blankets on the couch is red wine colored cordoroy. DH picked it out, not me!!!
Leather couch and love seat in living room are definitely distressed by former and current cat. I've given up. Jack Russell burrows into the bed during the day so I gave up neatly making it at least a year ago. Basset Hound and PekeAPoo #2 are out in their 4k "dawg house"--an outbuilding that has windows, insulation, and electricity. Both are about 8 months old and when they are in the house, it is bedlam until the settle down. Or is that IF they settle down.
I second any home furnishings that are dog and/or mud colored. Same for car and truck interiors. Same with clothes.

I'm thinkin' concrete furniture and stall mat flooring for our next house. Or, we'll all just live in the barn. :lol:

stonzthrow
Feb. 2, 2010, 04:32 PM
It isn't natural for dogs to live inside. They are pack animals and prefer to live outdoors. They should not be neutered.

The thought that you actually let those...those... animals live in your house and sleep on your furniture is beyond disturbing.

If you don't believe me, this is all well documented with PeTA!

drmgncolor
Feb. 2, 2010, 05:28 PM
:lol: Stonz. For that you get to post a picture of your un-neutered pooches in their pen in the backyard, in the snow, so we can see which ones look happier. :winkgrin: And you mean PITA, right?

Cat - I guess I can buy a leopard print couch for my ebony and ivory... only problem is that it doesn't at ALL match my decor and haven't I given them enough? They already have their own couch! I WANT MY OWN. ;)

Mozart
Feb. 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
I hear distressed leather is the way to go but I have denim slip covers. They wash well and just get softer with washing.

A friend (with yellow labs) had slip covers made out of painters drop cloth type of material. She even bleaches hers.

Before we had the slip covers made I used to put sheets on the couches in mud season. I figured I would just take the sheets off when we wanted to sit down. A few weeks went by and it occurred to me that I had not taken them off. I then realized that we never had time to sit down and that the only members of the household who routinely used the furniture were the animals! :rolleyes:

AnotherRound
Feb. 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
Does anyone besides me wonder how this is COTH-worthy? :confused:

jengersnap
Feb. 2, 2010, 06:50 PM
OP, totally feel your pain. With three "farm dogs" (see, COTH-worthy), they track enough mud and muck into the house as is. Their love of soft cushy places is just icing on the cake. Their dog doors (plural) run in a maze through the front porch, over an outdoor carpet, through another two flaps to the laundry room (wood floor) to yet another flap into the main house. This it to keep the dirt down in the house. And we don't actually have a couch in the living room. Somehow, we ended up with a church pew (don't ask). But my office has a sleeper sofa, and the dogs love it. So there's plastic over the cushions, and we put quilts on top of that and wash them frequently. It works.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4321775&l=7467d3d92c&id=515023528

wateryglen
Feb. 2, 2010, 07:39 PM
Her Royal Highness Mademoiselle Calais (French bassett)of Wateryglen Farm does deem me allowance to join her on her burgundy leather couch with Dollar Store bedspread on the seat part as a cover. The cover gets washed weekly which really helps. Often we are joined by Princesses Minnie and Midnight, the royal cats. I am, afterall, here to serve!!! And we all have various "positions" we take when using the couch. Eerily similar to your couch dogs except one is me and one is the dog! Now THERE'S a mental picture for ya!! :winkgrin::D

Rocky
Feb. 2, 2010, 08:53 PM

Trot on

Moderator 1
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, this topic is a bit borderline, but as we've all experienced, time spent at the farm can leave us and our critters with a unique level of funk with which to contend, so we can leave this one open for now. ;)

Thanks!
Mod 1

Mozart
Feb. 3, 2010, 02:20 PM

It is because those of us with farms tend to have dogs and therefore have furniture issues unique to those with dogs who are loved but, sadly, also find manure very appealing.

And because if you need something fixed, something cleaned, need to know where to buy, who to call, what to do....odds are...the COTH collective will have an answer!

Thanks Mod 1 for your patience and flexibility :winkgrin:

BuddyRoo
Feb. 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
Another leather couch person with a large lab. Have had it since 2001...hand made to spec when I lived in Italy. It's high quality soft leather but my dog doesn't mess it up at all. And I clean it with Murphy's Oil Soap. :) House smells great when I'm done!

Rocky
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:00 PM
Another leather couch person with a large lab. Have had it since 2001...hand made to spec when I lived in Italy. It's high quality soft leather but my dog doesn't mess it up at all. And I clean it with Murphy's Oil Soap. :) House smells great when I'm done!

Do you use any conditioner after the Murphy's?

BTW I love the smell too, I use the MOS to clean the leather seats in my car, but have been afraid to use it on the leather furniture.

Cielo Azure
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:14 PM
Oh, thank God :D as I have given up on our furniture. As I write this, PekeAPoo is resting his head on me, Big Dog is the other end, DH has the poodle mix and cat on his recliner (with him). Under the layers of sheets/blankets on the couch is red wine colored cordoroy. DH picked it out, not me!!!
Leather couch and love seat in living room are definitely distressed by former and current cat. I've given up. Jack Russell burrows into the bed during the day so I gave up neatly making it at least a year ago. Basset Hound and PekeAPoo #2 are out in their 4k "dawg house"--an outbuilding that has windows, insulation, and electricity. Both are about 8 months old and when they are in the house, it is bedlam until the settle down. Or is that IF they settle down.
I second any home furnishings that are dog and/or mud colored. Same for car and truck interiors. Same with clothes.

I'm thinkin' concrete furniture and stall mat flooring for our next house. Or, we'll all just live in the barn. :lol:

Honestly...I've thought more than once that a floor that drains to the middle with a drain in the floor for the kitchen, laundry and bathroom floors makes a lot of sense. You know, just give that floor the quick hosing, squeegee the excess down the drain and done!

I dunno...maybe I need that system in all my rooms...

Rocky
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:22 PM
Honestly...I've thought more than once that a floor that drains to the middle with a drain in the floor for the kitchen, laundry and bathroom floors makes a lot of sense. You know, just give that floor the quick hosing, squeegee the excess down the drain and done!

I am laughing out. We have actually considered this for our rental properties...

lcw579
Feb. 4, 2010, 10:18 AM

There is that scene in Jane Smiley's 1000 Acres where the father puts just that system in his kitchen and all the kids think it is proof that he's going crazy. My reaction was "Genius!" I told my husband I would like that when we finally redo our kitchen.

Brookes
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:18 AM
I second third and fourth the leather! The girls are referred to as "the sofa poodles" even though they are setters!

I have two very heavy thick leather sofas in the family room that have throws on the seat part. These fleecy throws go in the wash once a week. A little febreeze in the mean time helps with the eau de pooch.

These girls run around and jump up and down chasing each other using the sofas as springboards! They catch some serious air! I uses murphys to wipe them down when I wash the covers.

I have had fabric sofas before and they just murdered them! The leather is the way to go to have a nice piece of furniture even after the dogs turn them into their own private playground. They look super nice for company when wiped down with the covers off!

Remember the only difference between your pet and a pest is an . . . s!

CatOnLap
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
My cousin, who lived with a bunch of critters, in a cabin in the Rockies, had a trap door in the middle of his cabin ( which was just one big room) The cabin, built on a slope so some of it was up on stilts. When he cleaned house, he lifted the trap door in the floor and just swept all the dust and hair through it to the outside. Once a year when he washed the floors, he used a ship string mop, sluiced water all over and then it all drained out the trap door. Brilliant!

Dinahmare
Feb. 5, 2010, 03:49 PM
I also vote for leather but here's an interesting spin.

After four years of unflagging popularitly, our cheap leather sofa became a bit thin in the area of posterior support.

Went to the huge fabric place in the city and bought a piece of foam rubber. Then bought a nice soft piece of a leather knock off fabric which is probably vinyl.

Sewed up a simple case for the foam which is cut the same size as the couch.

The counter surfers (aka couch potatoes) have voted!!! They love it.

This would work equally well on a fabric couch.

Tivas_a_Diva
Feb. 5, 2010, 08:08 PM
Absolutely adorable pic! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that refuses to move my animals for their comfort despite my own. Sleeping at night is sometimes a challenge between two cats and one dog that like to spoon and cuddle. I also keep an old single blue chair in my living room that is at the end of it's life expectancy just because it's the dog's favorite chair.

FatPalomino
Feb. 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
FWIW a carpet cleaner pulls off dog hair and causes microfiber couches look like and smell like new.... for at least a week at our home :)

Sometimes I want to have a dip, or one of those things the cows have to walk through, with cleaner for the dogs and cats before they come inside.

Instead, we kicked them off the couch and onto the :
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/margpete/SDC13459.jpg

Easier to clean, anyway. And I usually ate dinner on the couch to begin with. :D

betsyk
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
Here's a horse-related connection for this thread: clean those leather couches with Lexol. Really. We have an ancient leather recliner and two leather couches. Lexol cleaner gets the dog grime off really nicely, and the conditioner keeps it supple. Just be sure you keep the critters off until the excess soaks in or is wiped off... and vacuum the crevises, first.