PDA

View Full Version : MD Barns

pb ranch
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:49 AM
Does anyone have any experience with MD Barns. What is your opinion? Did you put it up yourself? How difficult is that?

Thanks for any information.

dmalbone
Feb. 1, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm too lazy to do it to find the link :), but try doing a search in this forum for MD barns. There was a discussion about them a little while back.

pb ranch
Feb. 1, 2010, 12:21 PM
I had tried to do a search and it didn't show one. I'll try again. Perhaps I did sotmehting wrong.

dmalbone
Feb. 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
Here ya go!
http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237094&highlight=barnmaster

redhorse5
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:53 PM
I had one that was 22 stalls with two aisles. I loved it. Had no problems. When I sold the property it was the big selling point. Lots of kicks on the inside of the stalls but no damage. It was super cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

ahf
Feb. 1, 2010, 08:24 PM
Here's the pictorial of my MD barn going up here in Virginia, eight/nine years ago. I did NOT do this myself. The guys that did were a franchise of MD, and had vast experience putting them up.

I wouldn't change a single thing. It wears like iron, powerwashes like a dream. The gutters lasted until Dec 28th, 2009...when the 26" of new snow sliding down off the roof tore them up. THat's easily fixed. The mats that they sell are just outstanding. Because they shipped with the rest of the barn, the freight was neglible. There will be no trimming of the mats either, as the inside of the stalls are exact. A 12' stall takes six 4'x3' mats. And you just set them down, and walk away. If you've ever trimmed stall mats to fit - that's enough to make you buy an MD barn right there.

THe barn was sited very carefully. I closed up the eave to the roof on the weather side of the barn, and left the eave open on the opposite side. Ventilation is outstanding, and the overhang on the open-eave side has been plenty sufficient except on the once-every-two year weather event that comes up from the south. Certainly I have never thought about closing it up.

Uber cool in summer, warm in winter. With three horses in a four-stall barn two days ago, it was -3 degrees farenheight outside (not including wind-chill), 18 degrees inside - this is just with roof insulation.

If you do this yourself, note that my crew didn't bolt anything to the concrete floor until the roof was on. There were some very compelling reasons they gave me for using that technique that I can no longer remember.

The one thing I didn't purchase from them were the stall doors. At that time, they didn't make a full view door, and I wanted the full-mesh from Lucas Equine in Lex, KY. I'm still glad I did that.

http://www.autumnhillfarm.com/newbarn.html

THis is the last barn I will ever have - but even if I moved - I will never go back to wood again.