View Full Version : Thinking about getting a llama....

Feb. 1, 2010, 10:32 AM
We are thinking about getting a llama (or two) to help clear some underbrush from the treelines.

I'm worried that the horses will have a fit. What's your experience with horses and llamas and how to introduce them?

Also, it's been stated to me that the llamas will eat poison ivy which we have lots of. Is this true? I know they will eat trees up as far as they can reach and that's fine with me.

Oh and how do you "teach" the llama not to attack your dog? Cause if my dogs get injured we'll be eating llama burgers:lol:

Feb. 1, 2010, 10:59 AM
My friend had a pony growing up that was absolutely convinced that llamas were horse eating demons. And could not be told otherwise. This was an otherwise sensible pony...

But there is a farm near my parent's that has horses and llamas living together peacefully, so it can be done.

Feb. 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
A friend trainer has a neighbor that keeps pigs, a llama or three and used to have ostriches a few years back.
My friend calls riding thru there his training opportunities.;)
He tells me that, once a colt is going well under saddle, he takes it thru there with an older horse along and most colts eventually get over it.:eek:
Nothing beats the excitement of having some pigs, ostriches or llamas running along the fence to see the horses passing by.:lol:

A friend many years ago was in vet school and was hired by a llama breeder to come by in the afternoons and halterbreak the weanlings and some adults that had not been worked with.
I don't think she was too impressed with how llamas were to handle after that, but would not say other than they can be wild.

I say that, when we want a dog, goat or llama, we need to be sure we want them for themselves, that is not only the IDEA of having one around we like.

If you really like llamas and caring for one, why not?:cool:
Your horses will have to learn to cope.:yes:

Ware Whip!
Feb. 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Just across frpm the country single lane road where I board, is llama rescue.

The has a BLM Mustand out with one of them. They adore each other.

Funniest thing ever is when they chase each other around a large pine tree..

That llama can MOVE :D

My horse is twitterpated with them, from a distance , so far.