PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh blood!! Need some advice

Weighaton
Jan. 31, 2010, 10:33 PM
Our dog is now 12. During the winter months I have been giving her Metacam for the stiffness in her hip. She has done well with it. I usually just squirt the syringe in her mouth. Tonight I put it on her food. While she was eating she started snorting as if she was having trouble breathing. She tucked her tail between her legs and paced in front of her food snorting and hacking. It stopped and she finished eating and laid down and fell asleep.

I just checked her food bowl and there is smeared blood in it. More than just a bit. Could the Metacam have irritated her nasal passages and caused the snorting and bleeding?

I am very consciously watching her and making sure that we don't make her stay here longer than she wants to. She is still very happy, bouncy and ready to play but much slower.

I will call the vet in the am but was hoping maybe someone was up.

SLW
Jan. 31, 2010, 11:14 PM
If she is breathing okay and there is no more blood then hopefully it is an irritated nasal passage. It may also be that she bit her tongue or lip during the coughing fit.

Good luck with her. Those older dogs sure bridge so many memories in our lives.

Weighaton
Jan. 31, 2010, 11:27 PM
She seems to be resting quietly and no signs of bleeding. I hope you are right SLW. This is one of those dogs I can't imagine life without.

Chall
Feb. 1, 2010, 06:44 AM
My nose bleeds when the air is too dry in the winter. Is she drinking enough water?

cloudyandcallie
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:00 AM
Is it "for sure" nasal blood?
Sometimes dogs cough up blood and it is from ulcers (had aussie who went thru that one year).

How's the old horse from Georgia? Is he doing well in Louisiana? Hope he lives out his life in health with you. Are your kids riding him?

Weighaton
Feb. 1, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am not sure it is nasal blood at all. I think she may have bitten her tongue like SLW said.

The old horse from GA is doing awesome. The kids have "ridden" him almost everday and he has taken such good care of them. He is just a great horse and I am so glad that he got to come to us. We will look out for him the rest of his days because he deserves it. I tracked down the family that owned him when he was just 3 or 4 years old. We are going to exchanged pictures and stories. The farrier is on his way out to do his feet in just a bit. We pulled his shoes and he is enjoying just chilling out here in Saints country. Thanks for asking.