PDA

View Full Version : No soy feeds?

In the Air
Jan. 31, 2010, 07:37 PM
I just got an e-mail from a boarder who is planning on picking up and moving in with her new horse. She has just told me that he is allergic to soy and nickle. Great. We feed all Triple Crown feeds and they all have soy in them... help...

pj
Jan. 31, 2010, 08:01 PM
Tell her she needs to supply her own feed.

Daydream Believer
Jan. 31, 2010, 08:07 PM
What is the horse eating now? For an easy soy free solution, feed it alfalfa pellets, some oats if needed, and have her buy a good supplement. It is very easy as long as you avoid commercial feeds. She can also feed rice bran and beet pulp if needed. At lot depends on the horse, her type and her individual needs. Alfalfa pellets are probably cheaper than TC feed so you might even make out OK.

In the Air
Jan. 31, 2010, 08:39 PM
Tell her she needs to supply her own feed.

That would be nice :lol:

I have beet pulp and rice bran. Maybe get a RB and let him try that mix...

Daydream Believer
Jan. 31, 2010, 09:42 PM
Ration Balancers...if that is what you mean by "RB" are full of soy. Bad idea for a soy sensitive/allergic horse.

atr
Jan. 31, 2010, 11:50 PM
I feed oats, alfalfa pellets and ricebran, and a vit/mineral supplement to my no-soy boy. When we are boarding I simply baggie up a week's worth of meals at a time so it's really mistake-proof and easy for anyone who is feeding.

ChocoMare
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:03 AM
Plain Beet Pulp and EquiPride works well :yes:

pintopiaffe
Feb. 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
As stated above... beep & falf make great bases. Oats, barley, corn as needed, Rice Bran, Flax etc.

If you can get TC, you should be able to get Blue Seal, their Min-a-Mix is soy free.

Other Vit/min alternatives; Smart Pak's proprietary formulas, LinPro, Uckele has a couple...

It's actually cheaper for me to use whole grains for my farm.

In the Air
Feb. 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
Currently the horse is on Empower. Is that really soy free?

pintopiaffe
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:08 PM
Absolutely NOT!!!

atr
Feb. 2, 2010, 12:47 AM
Empower used to be. But it isn't any more.

flyinghorse
Feb. 2, 2010, 05:45 AM
You have a PM! This horse is coming from my farm, and is a sweet, fun guy :)

Montanas_Girl
Feb. 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
I have a horse who is allergic to corn, oats, and molasses. I have been supplying my own feed at boarding barns for six or seven years for him.

I would never expect my BO to take the responsibility of looking for and obtaining something he could eat, and I don't expect to have any money taken off of my board bill because I buy my own feed.