PDA

View Full Version : Purple Powder in Round Bales??

irkenequine
Jan. 31, 2010, 10:06 AM
Yesterday I was out picking the pasture and noticed a funky spot on the round bale...NOT moldy (typical hay mold anyway, it could be a type of mold I guess), didn't smell like mold, but it was little white flecks of powder. It looked just like someone had puffed baby powder on the top of the bale. Unrolled it (albeit my method was accidental, ended up kicking it over and it rolled open down the hill, looked like the yellow brick road...totally ridiculous.) And the whole thing PUFFED this largeish cloud of white-purple powder?? Only coming from this one area that had penetrated through, where some of the hay was stuck together and covered with a purplish substance. OBVIOUSLY I pulled the horses off right away and am headed out now to pick through it...what the hell is it?! I've fed round bales for a long time and never seen anything like this. I'm quite familiar with moldy hay, but this wasn't quite it...I think it was maybe a rotten leaf or something that got rolled up in the center, a plant, pesticide, any ideas??

Its very obvious where it is, in one confined area and not spread throughout the whole round but it IS in more than one layer. Packing some of the creepy looking stuff up and taking it to the hay guy. Hay growers-- what on earth could this be?! Googled it to no avail. I'm in SC, its coastal hay, not sure when it was cut but I haven't had it on my property this whole time-- we just pick them up 3 at a time once a week. Never once had a problem with it before.

Tamara in TN
Jan. 31, 2010, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=irkenequine;4653152]Yesterday I was out picking the pasture and noticed a funky spot on the round bale...NOT moldy (typical hay mold anyway, it could be a type of mold I guess), didn't smell like mold, but it was little white flecks of powder. It looked just like someone had puffed baby powder on the top of the bale. Unrolled it (albeit my method was accidental, ended up kicking it over and it rolled open down the hill, looked like the yellow brick road...totally ridiculous.) And the whole thing PUFFED this largeish cloud of white-purple powder?? Only coming from this one area that had penetrated through, where some of the hay was stuck together and covered with a purplish substance

the spot went from the outside to the inside in one straight line...like a needle stick ? or did it follow the pattern of the wind rowed hay as it unrolled ?

was it a pristine bale besides this or did it show weed pressure or leaves ?

Tamara in TN

Equibrit
Jan. 31, 2010, 12:47 PM
Around here we come across some kind of fungus/mushroom/toadstool thingy without a stalk, that explodes a purple powder/spores when the horse kicks it. Don't know what they are called but they REALLY surprise my horse.
Just discovered it's a Purple Spored Puffball;
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Purple-Spored%20Puffball.html

Tamara in TN
Jan. 31, 2010, 01:09 PM
here's where I'm going:

bermuda hay injections (http://www.countryfolks.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=350E94585B37465F8B5F8BA068B734F5&nm=Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=E32D1CF78C4349B2837A3FA1861A8E5A&AudID=90DC82AE125D4E708CD1E3ED9DA80CA2)

this has been done for decades out west but it is new here in the SE

Tamara in TN

Equibrit
Jan. 31, 2010, 01:17 PM
Made in Georgia ! http://www.haymastersystems.com/nutri.pdf 20% protein & lots of molasses

Tamara in TN
Jan. 31, 2010, 01:21 PM
Made in Georgia ! http://www.haymastersystems.com/nutri.pdf & lots of molasses

I can't open PDF's with this laptop but there are all sorts of things that can be injected into bales not just molasses....which is why I was wondering about the actual coordinates of the yucky stuff:)

Tamara in TN

irkenequine
Jan. 31, 2010, 08:41 PM
Huh, never even head of injecting bales....learn something new every day! And yes, the smoke was kind of reminiscent of that purple shroom we have here. It was permeated THROUGH layers (as in the same place as I unrolled it.) To add to the mystery it appears as if the purple is all coming from some alfalfa that was mixed in (I doubt purposefully, as the barn's supplier grows both) and it looks mashed pretty tight....wondering if it rotted in there or something. I collected and bagged quite a bit of it (the powdery areas packed very tightly, you could pick them up in solid pieces) and gave it to the barn manager...she definitely should get her money back out of that thing, if not at least some answers. Perplexing.

Tamara in TN
Feb. 1, 2010, 09:55 AM
To add to the mystery it appears as if the purple is all coming from some alfalfa that was mixed in (I doubt purposefully, as the barn's supplier grows both) and it looks mashed pretty tight....wondering if it rotted in there or something. I collected and bagged quite a bit of it (the powdery areas packed very tightly, you could pick them up in solid pieces) and gave it to the barn manager...she definitely should get her money back out of that thing, if not at least some answers. Perplexing.

in the presence of alfalfa and not pure bermuda you can have what is called "lodging" in the fields which is basically falling over due to over maturity (and normally wet conditions) and then being basically stuck to the ground when the baler comes over...

you don't get a cut of what is under your cutter height and that makes the hay on top not dry properly, wad upand rot in clumps in the hay like you describe...

it is better to burn the fields than risk that in resale horse hay...it's not worth the complaints you'll hear;)

Tamara in TN

irkenequine
Feb. 2, 2010, 08:44 PM
Many thanks. I'll be sure to use that specific phrase when I complain :P Because it sure is scary/dangerous looking. Gave clumps of it to the BO, no idea what she heard back from the hay supplier but I'll be interested to hear what he says.

Tamara in TN
Feb. 2, 2010, 08:56 PM
Many thanks. I'll be sure to use that specific phrase when I complain :P Because it sure is scary/dangerous looking. Gave clumps of it to the BO, no idea what she heard back from the hay supplier but I'll be interested to hear what he says.

honestly,lots and lots of hay growers have no idea what it is called in specific...but it can happen in any forage that gets long enough to fall over to and touch the ground....

Tamara in TN

Tamara in TN
Apr. 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=irkenequine;4653152]And the whole thing PUFFED this largeish cloud of white-purple powder??

so we are running a late load tonite and in this one bale there is a wad of stuff about the size of a full pack of copy paper and it is purple under the lights in the process room...

I pulled it out so the rest of the bale could go on and low and behold no smell whatsoever...but purple as the kings robes and coating all the species of grass in the bale equally...so wanted to mention that I had finally seen it also...:)

Tamara in TN