PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about ORION LIGHTING?

franknbeans
Jan. 31, 2010, 06:43 AM
Is it worth the extra cost? Have a friend renovating a pole barn for horses, and wondering about this for stalls/aisles.

Any knowledge is helpful! Thanks!

franknbeans
Jan. 31, 2010, 07:15 PM
Bump! Hoping to find someone who knows something about these out there! Thanks!

sixpoundfarm
Jan. 31, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have a couple and I like them. They come on quickly when its cold, and are certainly bright.

Thats about all I know. LOL!

franknbeans
Feb. 1, 2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks Tracy-will pass it along!

tcgelec
Feb. 1, 2010, 07:31 AM
I am an electrical contractor who specializes in barns/horse facilities located on Long Island.

I'm not sure if Orion makes anything else now, but when I experimented with them about 5 years ago, they only had the round "flying saucer" type. The big selling point at that time was price...they were substantially cheaper than anything else out there that was rated vaporproof and thus suitable for a barn.

The performance was adequate, but I found that the aesthetics were not popular. In other words, they looked weird! The other downside was that the round circline lamps used (which are expensive) had a habit of becoming dislodged if they were mounted below a hay loft (concussion from flying hay bales).

At that time, you had to buy direct, and they were not the easiest company to do business with. They may have taken care of these issues over the past couple of years, but I have gone back to the tried and true, linear vaporproof (high output) fluorescent fixtures, in either 4' or 8' length. The prices have come down on them, and they are very reliable and durable and are sold through electrical distributors. Parts are readily available also.

I am told that the linear vaporproof fluorescents are becoming available for use with with T5 lamps...the very skinny (5/8") tubes that are extremely bright and energy efficient.

Hope this helps.

ShotenStar
Feb. 1, 2010, 08:41 AM
I just bought three of their screw-into-an-existing light socket round fluorescent fixtures. I needed to replace some very old 'jelly jar' fixtures that are not large enough to handle the new compact fluorescent bulbs that are mandated starting in 2012.

I have been quite pleased with these. The people at the company were very easy to talk to and answered all my questions politely and promptly. The fixtures were exactly as described and have functioned properly / well, even in the single digit temps we have had recently. The color of the light was a little off-putting the first few days, but my eyes quickly adjusted and now I find I like the brightness and clarity, particularly in the aisle areas. I will buy additional units as I work towards replacing all the older fixtures in the barn. Having a screw-into-an-existing fixture option is what really sold me ... much easier / cheaper than having to re-wire the entire barn to accept some of the other fixtures I studied.

*star*

franknbeans
Feb. 1, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks! This is all very helpful info and I will pass it along!

Kathy

ShadowsMom
Feb. 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
I put them in my new shedrow barn three years ago and they have worked wonderfully. I have one of the round ones in each of my stalls and they provide lots of light. I really like them. We bought them for our another barn we are remodeling last fall and customer service was MUCH better than three years ago. Had no problems getting them quite quickly.

tobruk
Feb. 2, 2010, 11:35 PM
We've been using and installing them for probably 10 years or more and have had great results. They make a 4' long fixture as well as the round ones. Great products and a great company behind them.

LarkspurCO
Feb. 3, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have Orion fixtures in my barn and they have worked well for eight years. I have the rounds in the stalls and tack room and several of the four-foot fixtures. Those things put out a lot of light. My barn is lit up like a surgery suite!

We had to replace two ballasts recently, but we get a lot of crazy lightning and power surges here and I hear this can mess with your fluorescent fixtures.

Miss Motivation
Feb. 3, 2010, 12:59 AM
We have all Orion lights, both the sealed long ones and the round ones, in our barns and have been very happy. No bulbs replaced in three + years, none of them having problems from water in the wash racks, etc.

Maybe you can get the same thing from an electrical supply house with a smart electrician, but we have been completely pleased with the lights, the service, and the fact that we got some pretty big rebates from our electrical co. for the more efficient lights.

Completely pleased with Orion, and since we also like to support companies who advertise and help support the horse biz, it was a no-brainer.

Plumcreek
Feb. 3, 2010, 04:02 AM
I use Orion lights because the 4 foot 3 tube fixtures are bright and have a sealed housing to pass the electrical code. Their 6 tube fixtures are not sealed, but I have used the 3 tube fixtures in arenas just fine..

FarmTek also has a four foot 2 tube fixture that is sealed and has a polcarb lens that can take water in a wash rack.

DiablosHalo
Feb. 3, 2010, 09:12 AM
I put them in my double shedrow barn 7 years ago and absolutely love them! I'm surprised there are not more raving responses? I have the round ones in every stall (24) and down the shedrows. I have the long ones on either short end of the barn. I've replaced probably 10 of the round lights in 7 years.
I have them on different circuits and we only turn on the shedrow lights every day. If we need super-light in the stall for some reason- we turn on the stall row lights.

You could land a plane with the light that is emitted from those things! They come on quick, are very bright, and so far- easy to maintain/install.

One comment on our round ones- we have a metal MD barn. No insulation (I know- that is a whole-nother problem in itself) so the roof condensates and drips. The water sometimes builds up in the plastic cover of the light (runs down the metal truss and into lamp cover, etc). Then it heats up from the light, the steam (lack of better word) then shorts out the lamp. This is my theory as to why they were burning out- makes sense and hasn't happened since we fixed that problem.

We took down all the plastic covers and drilled a tiny hole in the center of it to allow the water to drip out of the cover. Haven't had a problem since.

As I mentioned- it was 7 years ago but I don't recall having a problem with the order or the customer service. At that time- those lights were much more expensive than any thing else we looked at and yes- well worth the extra money!

ahf
Feb. 3, 2010, 12:47 PM
I've had them in the barn (center aisle 4' fixtures, and round saucers in the stalls) and one run-in shed and LOVE THEM. They give off plenty of very natural looking light, come on immediately no matter how cold (and we've had quite a few below zero days here recently) and....their main selling point to me is...I can powerwash right over them.

Great product. Eight years ago I found the company to be very responsive and helpful. Haven't need to contact them since then.