PDA

View Full Version : Guilt over killing mouse

redhorse5
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
Ok. Mouse evidence in sink. Yuhhhhhggggg. Had to place trap. Caught mouse this morning. Put in dumpster. Feeling guilty. That's it. Anyone else experience this?

ThreeFigs
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:12 PM
No. They are pests. Good riddance!

JoZ
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, but I get over it.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:21 PM
No. I have cats and dogs who kill and eviscerate them for me. So I have no personal guilt.:lol:

DH, OTOH, actually took a mouse away from Lionel the other night because he couldn't stand to watch him release the poor thing and then, just when it thought it had escaped, catch it again.

But the ones I fish out of my feed barrel I release. I can't personally kill them.

HelloAgain
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:28 PM
I don't feel bad because they spread diseases that are dangerous to both horse and human. They are disgusting vermin, which happen to be kind of cute. The cute does not cancel out the disgusting vermin part though.
http://www.globalbirdcontrol.com/rodent-diseases.htm

One day I was in the feed room cleaning up when I heard all this squeaking. Baby mousies, the fiesty young barn cat probably got their mother.

I took the baby mice and gave them right to the elderly barn cat who doesn't hunt much anymore. Nom nom nom.

Circle of life, kids.

CHS
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have a terrible mouse story. There was one stuck in my feed bin. He/she was frantically trying to get out but couldn't. I made a ramp out of cardboard so he/she could get out. What I didn't realize was there was a jack russell sitting next to the feed bin. Mr/Mrs. Mouse ran up the ramp and jumped right into the jack russells mouth. That was a mouse rescue epic FAIL!!!

kellidahorsegirl
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:33 PM
I feel guilty if I did it! HAHA I do get over it, but I understand why you'd feel guilty :)

I can't stand watching the cats torture,,,,so if anything I go GET the cat that will just eat the mouse and put her next to the one playing with it. Mouse gets taken, and killed, done. HAHA

I am known for lifting palets after using all the feed sacks so the cats can have a buffet though hee hee

SkipHiLad4me
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
Me!!! I had one in my garage a few months back that started getting into things. We started setting traps for him, much to my dismay, but had trouble getting him. Then we realized he had made his way into the house! I finally caught him on a sticky trap and felt HORRIBLE seeing him stuck to that thing looking at me all scared. At the time, our house was in disarray where we were putting down laminate flooring. When we started getting things cleaned up and moved back to their original locations, I started finding mouse poop EVERYWHERE in my house. I'm talking on my kitchen table and inside cardboard boxes that had been sitting on the floor. My pity quickly diminished.:mad: That was so gross! I wanted to chlorox my entire house. I can't believe ONE mouse can put out so much poop!!

redhorse5
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:24 PM
Skip, i feel your pain. When we moved into our old house we had a lot of them.. After we sealed up everything we hadn't seen any more. It was upsetting to see another one.

ThreeFigs
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:35 PM
The last barn I kept my gelding at was overrun with the little b*stards. Nests under the mats, under the feeders, and scampering underfoot. Fearless! The BM was a fruitcake that hated cats and wouldn't use proper traps. She'd use those live trap things and set the mice free.

I asked her if she was taking them to Jefferson County or just next door.

She started changing her mind when the things began taking over her apartment (attached to the barn), eating holes in her quilts and leaving poop on the window sills. Nasty.

shea'smom
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:40 PM
I had them in my feed room this summer for the first time. I have 4 cats, but the mice were getting into the grain and I was having to throw bags out, $$.
I can't poison, trap, kill them. I got one of those things that drives them away with a noise? Seems to work.

LauraKY
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:46 PM
Cats take care of them. Although, when they play with them too long, I will put the poor things out of their misery. Foot or shovel. What ever is handy. Nasty little things. Carry diseases.

Now for the poor headless bunnies my cats drag into the garage....

And I do wonder, what do they do with the heads?

ThreeFigs
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
Put them on a pike?

I've never seen one of those sonic things work on mice. Maybe the BM bought the wrong kind?

shawneeAcres
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:56 PM
Had one of the barn cats get a BIG field rat the other day (they are in the crop fields next to my property, luckily don't come to the barn!), she played with that thing all over the farm for about an hour. Finally the top barn cat had enough, took it away, killed it and ate EVERYTHING but the fur! I am sure she was tellin the other one, "Hey you do it like THIS!". No guilt!

RedMare01
Jan. 30, 2010, 02:02 PM
I do feel sorry for the mice. Every great once and awhile, one of my indoor cats will catch one, and I will go and take it from them (usually wrap it up in a dish towel) and release it back outside...maybe I'm odd, but I just can't bear to see anything tortured like that. Or maybe it's because I had hamsters growing up, and I just have a soft spot for cute, furry little rodents....

Caitlin

Yip
Jan. 30, 2010, 02:02 PM
I feel badly, but I also get over it quickly. I will leace them alone outside, but when they come in the house or feed room, they've stepped over the line.

I also have a horrible trapping story. Once I put a glue trap under the kitchen sink, and the next morning, found I had caught the intruder. Well, glue traps don't kill, and to poor thing had struggled to free itslef probably all night. By the time I found it, it had literally crawled out of its skin! Yes, there was a mouse sized blob of skin, and stuck in front of that, was a *naked* mouse. I could see all the muscles, etc. I was HORRIFIED! Will never again use a glue trap because they are inhumane. I'd rather kill mice before they even know what hit them.

Another *humane* trapping story. A friend trapped a mouse in her pantry but its leg had gotten caught and amputated. She felt awful and took it out way back in a field and let it loose. 2 weeks later, she caught a mouse in the pantry again - and it was a 3-legged mouse just like the one she set free. Same leg amputated. Coincidence? We think not.

tullyleague
Jan. 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
Our barn cats play jedi mind tricks on the mice they catch. It's quite amusing, but a bit intimidating as well.

Highflyer
Jan. 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yes. I feel terrible, whether I killed them or not.

In fact, we have a raccoon that keeps getting in the tack room to eat the cat's food. A few months ago, the dogs got hold of him, and basically were pulling him apart. I ran out and screamed at them until they let go, but I really thought he was dead. I was completely in tears over it, but thankfully when I went back to move the body, he was gone, and hopefully he survived.

Of course, I've been known to cry when I read horse obituaries (for horses I've never heard of) in COTH. I've never recovered from being made to read Where the Red Fern Grows and The Red Pony as a kid, either!

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 30, 2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, I feel badly for them, but if they come into my house, sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere. If they are willing to pay my mortgage, perhaps I would relent and let them live here. But freeloading and eating my food? Not!

So, I find the round Decon traps to be the best, you don't see the little bugger, so it is harder to feel badly for them if you can't see them.

Alagirl
Jan. 30, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have a terrible mouse story. There was one stuck in my feed bin. He/she was frantically trying to get out but couldn't. I made a ramp out of cardboard so he/she could get out. What I didn't realize was there was a jack russell sitting next to the feed bin. Mr/Mrs. Mouse ran up the ramp and jumped right into the jack russells mouth. That was a mouse rescue epic FAIL!!!

HASHAHAHAHAHAHA

had a mouse jump into a dog's mouth before, let's call it Harakiri, the honorable death!

Mice have to go, they damage your property, chew electric wires and that can set your house/barn on fire!
I think they are adorable, but still pests!

Equibrit
Jan. 30, 2010, 03:10 PM
Ok. Mouse evidence in sink. Yuhhhhhggggg. Had to place trap. Caught mouse this morning. Put in dumpster. Feeling guilty. That's it. Anyone else experience this?

You have to ask yourself if he'd feel the same way - or just go to snacking !

sid
Jan. 30, 2010, 05:54 PM
I don't like killing anything but do what needs to be done. The worst mice (on the guilt-scale) are the "talkers". Had one in the feed room a few years ago that was very brave and seemed to chatter all the time. It would stare at me and chatter, then go back under the fridge.

Just don't ever name them. That one was Topo Giggo..:lol:. Cat eventually got it.

Had one like Topo in the the house when it got so wicked cold here not long ago. Hoped the dog would get it, but she didn't in time to keep it from eating a hole in my dishwasher water line. Muerto!;)

Expensive little things. :no:

ToTheNines
Jan. 30, 2010, 06:00 PM
I don't like to kill anything. Bad Karma I guess. When I have mice, I put a cotton ball (or wad of paper towel) with a good dose of peppermint oil on it where it find their poop. They go elsewhere. Non violent solution!

cwill
Jan. 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
I let the cats do the dirty work. Then I can pretend it never happens and have no guilt!:lol::lol::lol:

Guilherme
Jan. 30, 2010, 06:27 PM

No. They are damaging pests that spread disease. I can't fathom guilt over killing one. :confused:

G.

redhorse5
Jan. 30, 2010, 06:35 PM
Ok, not feeling so bad now. Just saw another one and I'm out for blood. Can't deal with having these things in my house. Ugh.

Huckleberry86
Jan. 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
Don't feel guilty! My horse got a liver disease from the little pests where he was being temporarily boarded and nearly died.

It is sad to kill any living thing but think about all the heartache you will experience if they carry a disease to you or your horse! Besides most of the snap traps kill them very quickly they don't even feel it. When I worked at a zoo we had a rat problem and we all got over killing those suckers pretty quickly, and we were the animal keepers!

Fairview Horse Center
Jan. 30, 2010, 07:32 PM
I had a young mouse in the house and caught him when he got stuck in the sink. I scooped him into a box, and just didn't have the heart to pitch him outside (very cold night). So I headed to the barn to put him in there. My husband was laughing at me, saying the mouse would be back in within 10 minutes.

I opened the door a crack, and dumped him in. Then took my pocket flashlight to see he had scattered, and there sat Miss Dixie cat with her mouth full of baby mouse. :( She must have been sitting right there, and thought, WOW a dream meal.

wildlifer
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:18 PM
It is sad to see people who profess to love animals laugh about killing them. Mice have no malicious intent towards you, they are just trying to live their lives in what habitat they can find.

If you decide to kill them, then do so humanely and respect the life you take. But no need to express joy at their pain. Cats, dogs, and humans carry disease too. Your barn cats can carry EPM -- do you giggle at the thought of killing them too?

Please perform extermination in a humane manner and with due respect. Just because a life is smaller than yours does not make it laughable to extinguish. I have to kill many types of animals as part of my job, but it never makes me happy...so to the OP, yes, it is fine to feel guilty.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:24 PM
I don't like to kill anything. Bad Karma I guess. When I have mice, I put a cotton ball (or wad of paper towel) with a good dose of peppermint oil on it where it find their poop. They go elsewhere. Non violent solution!

So, why do the mice in my house eat the peppermint stash for the horses?

ToTheNines
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:47 PM
Well said, wildlifer.

I am not sure why peppermint oil repels them. It does have a strong odor, but not a bad thing under the sink, etc.

I had to shoot a deer the other day. It had broken its shoulder trying to jump a fence and could not get up. Killing is not fun or funny, regardless of the size of the animal.

egontoast
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:50 PM
Please perform extermination in a humane manner

Yes. I can't understand how people who love animals can use glue traps. That is slow torture of an animal. Disturbing.

Alagirl
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yes. I can't understand how people who love animals can use glue traps. That is slow torture of an animal. Disturbing.

Well, if those suckers insist of not going into the snap traps....

hate the glue traps but you gotta draw the line some place!

Yip
Jan. 30, 2010, 09:49 PM
Your barn cats can carry EPM

Please state your reference.

I did tons of research on EPM when my horse got it, and nowhere did I find a mention that they even suspect cats can be carriers.

Yip

PletchersMom
Jan. 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
We have an old house and occasionally get mice. I use a "have-a-heart" trap, catch the buggers and drive them down the street to the school that is all boarded up and let them go. (stupid, I know).
One time we lost one of the "Have-a-heart" traps in the attic, the mice were having a party in it :>) To this day, it has never turned up.

As for the sticky traps, I think people dont realize what exactly happens to the poor mice when they do get stuck to them. I know, I would rather re-locate them, or use the neck snapper if needed. But I will NEVER use a sticky trap, that is just plain mean!!

twofatponies
Jan. 30, 2010, 10:12 PM
Having just had to pay for electrical repairs because a MOUSE ATE MY WIRING I am only all the more determined to keep the mouse wars going full force.

I only use the snap traps, and better yet are the ones that are boxed in - then you rarely or never get a bad catch, because the enclosure positions them just right for a clean kill every time, plus you are less likely to accidentally snap your fingers while setting it.

They do not deserve slow suffering deaths. Once or twice I've caught one wrong - by the leg or such - and felt terrible.

When I had cats I would keep the snap traps in the basement and attic only (cats not permitted there, and too slow and elderly to sneak there) and the cats would catch any that came up into the house. I would take them away from the cats and give them a quick whack with a shoe to kill them quickly.

Otherwise the cats would play with them for hours, and do frightening things like bring them up onto the bed to show us in the middle of the night!!! One night I felt the cat land on the bed, and it was making that yowling noise that meant it had a gift. I sat up and there was the live mouse right in the middle of the bed. I threw the covers in the air, the mouse flew across the room and ran under the dresser, the cat fled in horror...of course then we had to spend an hour trying to find the mouse and get the cat to catch it again. Sigh.

I've had best success with starting the trapping in the fall, before it gets cold. Once there are a few moved into the house for the winter they seem to breed faster than I can trap them. This year I started trapping in September instead of December, and though I catch about 1 a week, I haven't heard any in the walls or ceiling like previous years.

KSAQHA
Jan. 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hell no, I don't feel guilty killing mice or rats. I've had tack chewed up, traps disappear, droppings all over my hay, tunnels under mats...you name it. I had to stomp a little s#!t the other day, since it had the audacity to wander right by me and the dogs weren't around. Just this week the vermin chewed the snaps off two cotton drive lines I had left in the indoor. Also, buried the end of my lunge whip, which I literally had to dig out with a spade.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Guilherme
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:52 PM
It is sad to see people who profess to love animals laugh about killing them. Mice have no malicious intent towards you, they are just trying to live their lives in what habitat they can find.

If you decide to kill them, then do so humanely and respect the life you take. But no need to express joy at their pain. Cats, dogs, and humans carry disease too. Your barn cats can carry EPM -- do you giggle at the thought of killing them too?

Please perform extermination in a humane manner and with due respect. Just because a life is smaller than yours does not make it laughable to extinguish. I have to kill many types of animals as part of my job, but it never makes me happy...so to the OP, yes, it is fine to feel guilty.

No, it's NOT fine to feel guilty. That's like beating yourself with a rubber hose.

I don't take joy in killing mice, but neither do I feel any guilt.

From where did you learn that cats carry EPM? If so can it be transmitted or are they a "dead end host?"

You're correct that dogs and humans can carry diseases, too, but I've not seen many dogs or humans urinate and deficate on my hay or other feed supplies!

And they generally don't chew on wiring (a major cause of barn fires).

In an ag setting (and in most other settings) the only good mouse is a dead mouse.

G.

equinelaundry
Jan. 31, 2010, 12:16 AM
Cats have been on the carrier list for a while - at least since 2001 when my guy had his EPM scare. The days of the opposum being the main nasty carrier are long gone. I think I remember alligators (or crocs) being on the list also.

Here's a couple that specifically mention cats:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/horses/facts/epm.htm and http://www.smartpakequine.com/health_and_nutrition/diseases_and_conditions/EPM.aspx#Description

Compassionate post wildlifer.;)

MaybeMorgan
Jan. 31, 2010, 01:11 AM
Thank you, Wildlifer, for saying what I try to say also when these kinds of things come up.

I think guilt may be the wrong word. There is some regret for the necessity of killing, but it's reasonable to protect your home.

Please, just use humane methods.

DebbieB
Jan. 31, 2010, 02:51 AM
I have no problems killing them. I then feed them to my snake, and our bearded dragon eats the pinkies, so the little carcasses are not wasted. If I have extras they go in the freezer for later snake/dragon meals. My son has become an expert field mouser, so I have an excess of mouse bodies right now.

My husband will even snag the odd mouse he comes across for the snake, he professes to not like snakes, but he dislikes mice even more. They chew the wiring in the combines, and eat the very expensive neoprene parts in his planters, not to mention the poop and pee trails they leave everywhere.

The mice are thick enough in and around our parked grain trucks that there was a family of weasels living in one of the truck cabs a couple of years ago.

The moral of my story: Get a snake (cat, dog, lizard) to eat the mice you kill and you will have no guilty feelings because you are only providing food for your snake (cat, dog, lizard)!

Mice (and rabbits) reproduce fast enough that they are obviously intended to be food for lots of other animals.

goeslikestink
Jan. 31, 2010, 05:15 AM

lucky its a mouse and not a dirty great big rat------lol
think atitude whould change somewot at the end of the day they are pests and full of deceases hope you wash your hands lol

Sithly
Jan. 31, 2010, 05:46 AM
It is sad to see people who profess to love animals laugh about killing them.

If you decide to kill them, then do so humanely and respect the life you take. But no need to express joy at their pain.

Sorry, I think you're grossly misinterpreting what you're reading. People here are not laughing at the suffering. They're not gleefully rubbing their hands and cackling about how great it is to watch an animal in pain.

It's black humor. They're not laughing at the pain, but at the circumstances and the irony of life.

IMO black humor is perfectly okay in the appropriate setting (like this thread), and does not indicate a disrespect for life or the propensity to torture small animals.

YMMV, of course.

Rabtfarm
Jan. 31, 2010, 08:34 AM
Amusing thread. We have had bats, mice and some neighbors as pests around here. The bats are protected but when they come down the chimney and start circling your bed it's a bit disconcerting. The mice: one mouse came in with my scrap drop off lumber that I use for the woodstove. I fill plastic garbage pails with the wood and haul them into the kitchen. Well, one barrel became home for a mouse which popped out while I was stokeing the woodstove. The new kitten was very excited. The mouse got under the fridge...I moved the fridge just as the wife came in the kitchen: the mouse ran into the livingroom. It was just like Xmas Vacation with the squirrel. We get a hoard of mice every Fall and I set the old classic wire snap traps. I tried the "humane" type: the mouse ate its way out of the plastic trap. We have one neighbor who felt obliged to tell us not to kill the mice in our own house:confused:: another type of pest. The most successful way to burn down your home/barn is mouse-chewed electrical wiring. Sorry, they are pests: I neither revel or fell guilty.

wildlifer
Jan. 31, 2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you, Wildlifer, for saying what I try to say also when these kinds of things come up.

I think guilt may be the wrong word. There is some regret for the necessity of killing, but it's reasonable to protect your home.

Please, just use humane methods.

Yes, that is a better phrasing -- I always regret having to take a life, but sometimes it is deemed necessary for safety or other reasons. Thanks for the clarification.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=11028

There is another USDA reference for cats as an intermediate host. Also, strangely enough, sea otters. Although I am pretty sure my horse will not encounter any of the latter...

redhorse5
Jan. 31, 2010, 03:34 PM
Sticky trap failure......d***. Going to try again tonight. Yuk. He/she/it ate all the peanut butter off the trap without getting caught. Must be huge. That means that it can stand on the side and eat off the middle. Oh My. I'll give mouse update in the morning.

ThreeFigs
Jan. 31, 2010, 03:39 PM
Maybe you need a shotgun?

Nipntuck
Jan. 31, 2010, 04:17 PM
I don't like doing it, and generally the cats and dogs keep the population under control. I'm not a "zero tolerance" barn. :) . I WILL NOT EVER use a glue trap. That's inhumane. I have no problem with snap traps. They probably never know what hit them.

DebbieB, I just read your post. I've saved a few bodies for our rat snake, but have just bought frozen pinkies for the bearded dragon. I haven't found any nests since we inherited him from a neighbor, but I'm not sure I can do the babies in. We are oddly wired to protect the young, eh.

kookicat
Jan. 31, 2010, 04:26 PM
I don't kill mice. I have two terriers who do that for me. They're very good at it too.

MaybeMorgan
Jan. 31, 2010, 05:08 PM
I think the terriers are much more humane (fast snapped neck) vs the glue traps (slow lingering suffocation).

MaybeMorgan
Jan. 31, 2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I think you're grossly misinterpreting what you're reading. People here are not laughing at the suffering. They're not gleefully rubbing their hands and cackling about how great it is to watch an animal in pain.

It's black humor. They're not laughing at the pain, but at the circumstances and the irony of life.

IMO black humor is perfectly okay in the appropriate setting (like this thread), and does not indicate a disrespect for life or the propensity to torture small animals.

YMMV, of course.

Obviously you haven't read some of the posts about possums.

kookicat
Jan. 31, 2010, 05:35 PM
I think the terriers are much more humane (fast snapped neck) vs the glue traps (slow lingering suffocation).

Yep, most of the time, the mouse doesn't know what's hit them. I hate the thought of the glue traps. They're cruel, IMO.

jacksmom
Jan. 31, 2010, 08:06 PM
last winter mice caused over $1k in damages to my husbands truck. ate wiring, built nests in the fan/filters, and ate into a fuel line. we are actually very lucky when the fuel line went, that it didn't catch fire and my husband was able to get off the road and kill the engine as gas was literally pouring across his feet. so there is no love lost for mice around here.

but i do have a good mouse story. years ago a friend of mine was doing peace corps work in south america. she was housed in an old crumbling carriage house that came with some serious mouse issues. only so much she could do, and while she tolerated them well, she decided that the kitchen counter was off limits. so she set up snap traps.

she also had some other work-arounds she had to do. one of them was to use wadded up dishtowel rags and a rock to plug the sink for dishes. she said it took her a few weeks to find just the right combo, but she managed to get the sink plugged this way.

early one evening, after she's gone to bed, she hears a loud snap and a splash. she'd left the sink full after doing the dishes. she said she laid in bed and debated whether or not to fish out the mouse and trap - and decided she was too tired to deal with it - she'd get to it the next morning.

the next morning, she finds the snapped trap still on the counter, but the mouse was in the sink. he had managed to find the highest point on her cobbled drain stop and by standing on his tippy hind toes, was able to poke just the end of his nose out of the water. he had stood like this all night. she didn't have the heart to kill him, so she scooped his exhausted self up and deposited him at the edge of the garden behind her house.

i'd have done the same thing :)

cowgirljenn
Feb. 1, 2010, 11:28 AM
Using traps, I killed about 6-7 rats and nearly 20 mice in a little over a week. (Obviously, I let the situation get far out of hand before I put down traps).

I feel awful. However, they were destroying my tack and I worried they were going to destroy the new wiring in the shed. They also got into our truck (we finally found the nest - in a compartment under the back seat that we didn't know existed).

So, I feel bad... but I can't afford to have major damage to buildings or equipment or the truck due to the mice and rats.

redhorse5
Feb. 1, 2010, 11:34 AM
Got another last night. OOOOOOh... I have a Jack Russell and she is on the prowl but they are coming up behind the stove out of reach of the JR. I will just have to keep setting the traps I guess.

FancyFree
Feb. 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
When I was a teenager I found a mouse with a broken leg. I insisted that my mother drive me to the vet. The vet said there was nothing to be done and recommended putting it to sleep. I paid for the injection out of my babysitting money.

Attitudes change with your situation. Fast forward thirty plus year. A few months ago, we were invaded by Norway rats. They chewed holes through the screens. I tried everything to get rid of those little bastards. They'd eat the peanut butter off the snap traps. I'd find footprints on the glue traps, but no rat. I finally tried poison which I would put out at night and pick up in the morning. We have dogs, who were no help btw. They gorged themselves on this stuff. I caught five. Fortunately they died in the general area of the poison. I didn't want to use it, thinking I might not find one of the bodies. But so far we haven't smelled anything odd.

My teenage self would be horrified by my rat poisoning present self. :lol:

Rubyfree
Feb. 1, 2010, 12:27 PM
I like mice. I've had pet mice, including a baby field mouse who my rabbit-killing rottie brought to me like a retriever. :confused:

But I know what they can carry, and know the damage they can do. If I happen across a barn cat playing with one, I'll put the poor thing out of it's misery. I'd certainly rather they die quickly in my hands than slowly via torture, and I'd rather they die period than hang around destroying things and peeing all over.

mcw
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:30 PM
I can't kill them myself, but my JRT and cat are both excellent mousers. Only problem with the cat is she brings the dead mouse into my bed in the middle of the night. Gross.

I worked at a barn that had a really bad rat problem one winter (I blame it on the really nasty horse that was in the barn, because they showed up at the same time, but I digress). We had several snap traps and the Tom Cat boxes out, but inevitably one would fall into a water bucket trying to get a drink. Sometimes they would still be alive and swimming in the morning. My JRT thought this was the greatest thing ever, and still goes nuts everytime she sees someone going to dump a bucket. It has been years, but she is always hopeful for a swimmer!

Huntertwo
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:48 PM
Can't do it and probably will never do it.

I have a pet field mouse (Squeeks) that DH found in the parking lot at work as a baby.

I nursed this baby mouse around the clock with a heating pad and formula.
Every wild mouse expert I contacted said she'd never make it in the wild.

So in the 40 gallon aquarium she went, with tunnels, a wheel and other toys. We even bought her a domestic white female mouse for company.:)

This is my second wild mouse I've raised and have lived to tell the story...;)

Huntertwo
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:50 PM
Obviously you haven't read some of the posts about possums.

I can't even stomach those threads anymore...:no:

PRS
Feb. 1, 2010, 05:07 PM
I was a professional pest control technician for many years and I never felt bad about killing insects. I did however feel bad about killing mammals. I did it, it was part of my job and it is absolutely true that mice carry disease. In some parts of the American Southwest they actually carry the bubonic plague. Yes, that is the same plague that wiped out half of the world population in the middle ages. I use pet proof poison stations in the barn and in the feed room and glue traps in the house. I check the glue traps often throughout the day because I don't want to cause any more suffering than I have to. If I find a live mouse in the glue trap I place it carefully inside a paper bag and club it swiftly to kill it. I HATE doing it but I can't leave it die of dehydration or starvation stuck on the glue trap either. Believe me, there is no way to get the damn things off the glue trap once they are good and stuck. :(

I have found live mice trapped in buckets in the barn...those get fed to the dog who just loves the chance to "hunt" a mouse. I find killing mice much less offensive then replacing damaged feed, blankets, saddle pads and nothing grosses me out like mouse poop in my kitchen cabinets. I don't enjoy it though and I always feel bad about it.

redhorse5
Feb. 1, 2010, 11:18 PM
You know when you were a kid and someone said, "Just need to build a better mousetrap"? I don't think I correctly appreciated the difficulty.

kookicat
Feb. 2, 2010, 07:33 AM
The poop I don't mind as much- at least you can see where that is, and know where you need to clean. It's the thought of them peeing everywhere and me missing a spot that grosses me out.