PDA

View Full Version : Best size/type manure spreader for 4-5 horses

hoser1
Jan. 30, 2010, 10:23 AM
I want to get rid of my little 25 bushel spreader. I don't like the handle mechanisms (they have broken twice with $$ repairs) and it is just too small for my liking. I have just 2 horses right now due to me being pregnant but have a 5 stall barn and will probably take on a boarder or two and add to my herd in the next year or so, and so will be having more manure to deal with. I am looking into upgrading to a 50 bushel ground driven one because I am not sure I want to have to mess with the PTO every time (our tractor serves a lot of different purposes and the PTO is a bit of a pain to hook and unhook frequently). So, I'm looking for opinions/experiences with spreaders for farms similar in size. Is 50 bushels enough, do you prefer PTO vs. ground driven, and how much would you expect to pay for one? Are there brands that you really like/brands you'd avoid?

Bluey
Jan. 30, 2010, 10:39 AM
We have this Millcreeck 57, ground driven and works great for us:

http://www.millcreekspreaders.com/model57.asp

vineyridge
Jan. 31, 2010, 02:13 PM
Take a look at the Chariot Manure spreaders. I don't have one, but wish I did. They tell me that the ground driven one is big enough for 4-5 horses. The hydraulic driven one handles more. Alas, my tractor doesn't have hydraulics. :( They are not cheap, however.

joyful
Feb. 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
IF you bed on shavings or wood pellets you can check out the "Newer Spreader". It's ground driven, reasonably priced and the larger model works great for my 5 horses.