PDA

View Full Version : Longer days

rodawn
Jan. 29, 2010, 07:04 PM
Anyone else happy and excited to note that the days are surely but slowly getting longer again? And that spring is really inevitable in a few more weeks? :D

sk_pacer
Jan. 29, 2010, 07:41 PM
Yep, have noticed the days getting longer, and of course spring is going to come, always does 21 March (or is that 22) and we BOTH know that Alberta and Saskatchewan can get some VILE snowstorms into April and even May - I was living in Calgary when I cut grass and shoveled over a foot of snow the same week in May. At any rate, I will take the longer hours of daylight :)

foundationmare
Jan. 29, 2010, 08:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, this is the very WORST time of the year. We've had it with winter! Really, really HAD IT!!! BE GONE WINTER had it!!! And yes, we know that the days are getting longer and there is a faint light in the tunnel. But, and it's a big, fat BUT: we are at peril of having fabulous spring days in April and a snowstorm following them. It really sucks! Our winters are interminable!

spotmenow
Jan. 29, 2010, 08:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned, this is the very WORST time of the year. We've had it with winter! Really, really HAD IT!!! BE GONE WINTER had it!!! And yes, we know that the days are getting longer and there is a faint light in the tunnel. But, and it's a big, fat BUT: we are at peril of having fabulous spring days in April and a snowstorm following them. It really sucks! Our winters are interminable!

This has been a TERRIBLE winter weather-wise...minimal snow, extreme temp fluctuations, and ICE ICE ICE :mad:

dmalbone
Jan. 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
Ugh. I have HATED this winter. I'm sick of chiseling hooves so they can safely get to their stalls. I'm sick of driving back and forth to take care of them, freezing with the farrier and vet, etc. etc. I just want spring to come so I can finish my barn and get them HOME! I have a countdown to daylight savings time on my desktop at home. :D I just HATE short days. The highlight of my day yesterday was realizing it was still light out at 6 and remembering the summer days of the sun setting at 9:30 (ish). Ahhhhhhhh. Soon.

bf1
Jan. 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
Isn't it great!! Love the longer days. Horsies can stay outside longer in the event I have to bring them in for the night.

And as far as I am concerned, this winter is soooo much better than last winter. I seriously didn't think I could cope with one more cold, snowy day last year. And the winter went on forever.....

Snow has been spread out, and not bad at all. Half of what we had last year (jinx). I know we have a lot more to come, but somehow by Feb. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

dmalbone
Jan. 30, 2010, 10:35 AM
Isn't it great!! Love the longer days. Horsies can stay outside longer in the event I have to bring them in for the night.

I love that part (and so do the horses!). They're pansies and despise standing in snow in the winter, but come summer they're happy outside all day. I still bring them in since we live off a busy road, but we gradually push back their night feeding as the days lengthen. So in the summer they're usually coming in and eating dinner at 8 or 9! :) It's nice being able to run somewhere after work or go out and eat an early dinner and STILL have daylight to take care of the horses.

skyy
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:20 AM
This winter seems harder than last (maybe because we actually got real winter weather in Dec this year which is unusual) but my barn pipes haven't frozen yet and I know they froze mid Jan last year. So, I am thankful to not have to lug water from the house and for the incresing daylight. Once we get through Jan I can convince myself that spring is almost here because Feb is soooooo much shorter than Jan :) (I have to play games with my head in order to stay cheerful!) Some of the unclipped horses have started to shed already so I am hoping that they know something that we don't.