PDA

View Full Version : Two small barns vs one large one?

wsmoak
Jan. 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking of possibly starting with one small barn, like 24x36 with two stalls and a tack/feed room, but enclosed so there's a 12' aisle in front of the stalls. (Since you all talked me out of the shedrow barn. ;) )

That plus run-in sheds in the pastures should do for Patrick and a companion creature, while keeping the farrier, vet, and me dry.

But I'm sure, eventually, the inevitable will happen, and *more* will show up.

At which time I could repeat the process and put another small barn somewhere else on the 20 acres.

I don't want a large barn for two reasons -- I don't want a gigantic structure dominating the view when you drive up, and I don't want to spend that much up front.

And, well, you know what happens when you have empty stalls. :)

Thoughts from anyone who has multiple structures? Would you do it that way again?

LauraKY
Jan. 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
No. A whole lot more work. Duplication of tools, tack room, feed, etc. I'd start with a four stall barn, but only put in two stalls.

cutemudhorse
Jan. 29, 2010, 08:04 PM
Perhaps you can come up with a design in a practical spot that will allow for adding on when you are ready? The previous posters make sense. On the flip side, having a second structure allows for a) a quarantine barn and/or b) a safer hay storage space simply as far as possible fire hazard and maybe even a lower insurance premium.

If you ever were to take in more horses maybe separate barns would allow for those that absolutely will not get along. However my thoughts here would be just be sure the turn out allows for that possibility, not necessarily the barn set up.

If you did two structures it might not be so bad as far as working if they were close together, but I'm not sure how far apart you would want them otherwise. Does your land dictate that you should have two smaller structures?

I don't have a big barn :no: but I don't mind having my hay separate. You can always just bring in a few bales at a time.

wsmoak
Jan. 29, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hay will definitely be separate, we're too paranoid to store it in the barn. :)

The property is mostly wooded and I want to preserve the 'log home on a wooded lot' look, not turn it into 'horse property'. So a couple of smaller structures tucked here and there in clearings seem more appealing to me than a big, wide barn.

I'll ponder 24x60 oriented so that you see the short edge driving in. Then I could enclose the 24x36 as planned, and leave 24x24 open for equipment (or, sigh, temporary stalls. ;) )

I will not acquire more than four equines, I will not...

I'm sure it will become clearer after I get there and spend time walking the property. I haven't seen it since mid-November and the whole thing doesn't seem real right now, but we close in two weeks!

I'll probably handle quarantine with a separate paddock and add a gate to the run-in shed if it also needs to be on stall rest.