PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love Craigslist

KPF
Jan. 29, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm a true bargain shopper and I constantly check the farm/garden sections of our two local craigslist sites for deals on stuff for our farm. The other night I saw an ad for a manure spreader for $400, so of course, even though we already have a Fuerst spreader (which I also found on craigslist and traded hay for!), I had to call. It is a Millcreek 75 PTO driven spreader with a rubber floor, was shed kept and the only thing wrong with it is it needs a belt. Hubby picked it up this morning and I called and ordered the belt, it cost a whopping $60!:eek: So we'll have a $4000 spreader for less than $500.

I'm so thrilled with my bargain that I had to share it here, since I know y'all will understand. People here at my office would in no way understand! :) I'm not sure if we'll fix it and resell it (could get $1200 for it easy, I think) or if I'll want to keep it. I could sell the smaller ground driven one I have but I like the fact that I can pull it with the golf cart. Anyway, we'll see, but here's your PSA-- keep an eye on CL, you never know when you might find the deal of the century!!!

ChocoMare
Jan. 29, 2010, 10:34 AM
Way to go! :yes:

I check CL every day, sometimes multiple times a day. One never knows what one might find!

(I got a pair of smooth leather full chaps two years ago for $30 thanks to a garage sale advertised on CL ;) )

goodhors
Jan. 29, 2010, 11:50 AM
Have to say that I have found stuff I was looking for on the Craigslists. Priced where I thought it reasonable. Son had told us about it, but we really only started checking more often last fall. Now we have purchased about 10 things, none small!

Hope to pick up our Dexter heifer this weekend , if not too cold outside to haul. Just what I wanted! She is cute, as is Dutch Belted steer we found on Craigslist for DD. Both special, SMALL cattle breeds, suitable to our setting. Uncommon, but visible for us to find doing a search on Craigslist.

Husband has also found things he wanted, and so far all have been good buys, good sellers. We never would have connected with those folks any other way. Thanks for Craigslist!!

Kate66
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:03 AM
Congratulations!!!!

I love craigslist too. I love selling on it. We sold a brush hog that was literally a pile of rusty junk that you could put your finger through for $50, which was great as we just wanted it gone. I also sold 5' harrow quite recently, that has been lying out the back of our shed for 6 years, that someone gave to us when we built this place and we never used (it was old and rusty then) for $450 - I was ecstatic!

Goodhors - hope you love your Dexter. We breed them and they are a lot of fun! The babies are so tiny, and the cows are great mothers and easy breeders.

HuntJumpSC
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:11 AM
Scored the deal of the century this week. Found 20 "new" stall mats and got them for get this, $200! Nothing wrong with them, they were used as flooring in a gym, and the guy who purchased the equipment had to take the mats too. The same mats at Tractor Supply would have run me $800. :D

wsmoak
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:30 AM
I'm already watching the local CL for my new home. :)

I've already found several things I'd have snapped up if I were there already. Today's find was an ad for a local place that has chickens for sale, which I've bookmarked.

I plan to post a bunch of WANTED ads when I arrive, and see what people offer up!

Guin
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:19 AM
I love CL for getting rid of stuff that has no value whatsoever. It costs quite a bit to throw stuff away at my local dump, but just put it on CL in Giveaways and someone will take anything! Dead computers, broken bookshelves, it's incredible. Pretty much anything except for CRT monitors.

sidepasser
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'm already watching the local CL for my new home. :)

I've already found several things I'd have snapped up if I were there already. Today's find was an ad for a local place that has chickens for sale, which I've bookmarked.

I plan to post a bunch of WANTED ads when I arrive, and see what people offer up!

Are you familiar with the Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin? Go HERE:

http://agr.georgia.gov/portal/site/AGR/menuitem.2f54fa407984c51e93f35eead03036a0/?vgnextoid=fb4c733860a06210VgnVCM100000bf01020aRCR D

You can find land and farms, jobs, horse stuff, farm stuff, chicken stuff..etc.

Free publication but remember, it's like craigslist, if you see something you want - call fast! Good deals go fast. Published every other Wednesday.

Hope this helps and you find the house of your dreams!

SpringOakFarm
Jan. 30, 2010, 12:29 PM
Lucky! Great Buy! Congrats!

My big CL good buy was a TR3 arena grooming implement for $1000 - I contacted them only moments after it was posted - it's awesome!

EventerAJ
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:45 PM
For a laugh...Best of Craigslist (http://eventingnation.com/mt3/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=1&limit=20&search=best+of+craigslist) from Eventing Nation. :D

wsmoak
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
Are you familiar with the Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin? Go HERE:

http://agr.georgia.gov/portal/site/AGR/menuitem.2f54fa407984c51e93f35eead03036a0/?vgnextoid=fb4c733860a06210VgnVCM100000bf01020aRCR D

Yes, I'm watching that one too, but I don't know where anything is yet so it takes me forever checking the city for each interesting item with Google Maps. :) At least CraigsList is all local stuff!

jumpymeister
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:10 PM
I actually just made my first CL purchase tonight - a $200 xl metal dog crate for $50 :-) I will not have to come home to a destroyed living room anymore!

I have just recently started haunting it....especially in the lastfew weeks or so....I just put my retired TB down before xmas and so I have had my eyes open for something that needs an upgrade...b/c you know an open stall can't stay empty for long :-)

In the Air
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:21 PM
I have found that craig's list has become the new scammers list. Everything I seem to find on there that I say, oh, good price, turns out to be a scam. They still try the old E bay buyers protection plan crap...

Rabtfarm
Jan. 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
CL is great for a buyer, as an occasional seller it really annoys me to have the endless scammers that repond to your selling ad trying to sell you something.:mad: I have been known to forward all my email spam (one at a time) to those people. Otherwise you do find great bargains. I still have to use Google maps with craigslist here in Maine because the whole state is lumped together on the list...some in-state places are 6 plus hours away from me.
Craiglist is great for notifying folks of your pending yard sale...take a few general pix of the stuff you are selling so the customers can pick out items of interest. We ended up selling a DR chair set for more than we paid for it new 2 years ago. Craigslist still enjoys that "yard sale" "as-is" mentality which eBay has eliminated. Ebay is so devoted to the buyer that everything is warranteed: you do not get paid as seller until the buyer says they are completely happy...imagine selling a horse on eBay! There is no such thing as "as-is" on eBay anymore which is why nearly everything there now is new and "Buy it now".

gallupgirl
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:24 AM
I got a Butet on Craigslist.

tle
Feb. 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
We've found a few things on CL and plan to do more hunting as well as selling as we move. Latest is a bunch of evergreen saplings for CHEAP!! Hubby wants to put in a good sized windbreak at the new property and is willing to wait a few years for these trees to mature. Can't beat teh price.

Wigwag
Feb. 1, 2010, 02:27 PM
Way to go! :yes:

I check CL every day, sometimes multiple times a day. One never knows what one might find!

I am forever checking craigslist. My boyfriend calls is "cracklist" because it's a bit of an addiction. He even checks it now... :lol:

ThatScaryChick
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm a true bargain shopper and I constantly check the farm/garden sections of our two local craigslist sites for deals on stuff for our farm. The other night I saw an ad for a manure spreader for $400, so of course, even though we already have a Fuerst spreader (which I also found on craigslist and traded hay for!), I had to call. It is a Millcreek 75 PTO driven spreader with a rubber floor, was shed kept and the only thing wrong with it is it needs a belt. Hubby picked it up this morning and I called and ordered the belt, it cost a whopping $60!:eek: So we'll have a $4000 spreader for less than $500.

Congrats! That was definitley a great deal!

Hunter Mom
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
I too am a CL junkie. We furnished the basement of our new house with CL finds. I even have the iPhone app!

crewgirl34
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:19 PM
If you're in an area with multiple Craigslists, or are willing to travel for your deals, there is a multiple Craigslist search site: http://www.searchtempest.com/

Just my way of contributing to the insanity :)

mellsmom
Feb. 2, 2010, 11:27 AM
Ket me know if you decide to sell the smaller one. I don't have one and could seriously use it now with two on stall rest.

PletchersMom
Feb. 2, 2010, 11:39 AM
Off Craigslist....I got a brand spankin new Stubben Roxane Deluxe for 1/2 of what I would have paid for new, from a tack shop!!

SarahKing
Feb. 3, 2010, 01:52 PM
A lady on another message board found a 19YO Abdullah daughter in Tennessee and bought her for $1500.

Here's one of her fillies: http://home.att.net/~heavensgatefarm/dramatic_flair.htm

And one of her colts: http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=14197&UserID=1388

And another colt: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1048017721000566714LQiRmQ

The new owner isn't really sure what she's going to do with the mare yet, other than gawk at her in the pasture for now!

tinah
Feb. 3, 2010, 10:14 PM
just had to start the craigslist thread. . . and I had to go check my local listings. . .
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/1584888991.html
sigh. Not in a place where I need a horse right now, what with closing on a house in two weeks and all. . . .