PDA

View Full Version : Heated bucket broken - ?

Sparky Boy
Jan. 28, 2010, 12:21 PM
One of my heated buckets mysteriously broke the other day. It has a 3 prong plug and the third prong, which I think is for grounding, broke off. I assumed it was now useless so I bought a replacement bucket. Last night I realized that the replacement bucket only has a two prong plug. :confused:

So is the old bucket with the third prong missing still ok to use? Why would this new bucket not have a third prong and which is better??? :confused:

hosspuller
Jan. 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
Go to a local hardware store and purchase a replacement 3 prong plug. Cut the broken plug off and replace it.

You'll need a screw driver and a knife to strip the insulation. There are fancy tools to make it quick & easy but the above will do.

The wires are likely color coded. Green to the ground prong or green screw, white to the wide blade or white metal screw, Black to the narrow prong or brass colored screw.

For two or three bucks and 1/2 hour of your time, you'll have an extra measure of safety

ReSomething
Jan. 29, 2010, 03:35 AM
I know a lot of carpenters the first thing they do with their power tools is chop the ground plug off. That being said, they are there to insure you and your horses are not electrocuted in the event of a short. Hosspuller has the best idea.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 29, 2010, 09:26 AM
So are you guys suggesting I do this to the old bucket that the prong broke off of or do this to the new bucket that only came with 2 prongs new? :confused:

FWIW - All the buckets are on their own GFI plug right outside each stall.

deltawave
Jan. 29, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'd say if it came with three prongs, it's meant to be used with three prongs. If it came with two, it's OK with two.

And CGFI plugs are a must in the barn.

I'm a huge electricity sissy. My two brothers who are electricians laugh at me. :p

goodhors
Jan. 29, 2010, 01:01 PM
You could also get the 3-prong adapter at the hardware store, put it on the bad plug, then use it. You could also get a second 3-prong adapter plug, put it on the two prong plug on new bucket. I DO WANT heavy power draw items grounded in the GFCI outlets. I would probably go that route instead of replacing the plug, because plug that came with bucket is sealed tight.

You are likely to have wires you cut and stripped, pull out of the replacemnt plug if cord is jerked hard for some reason. No water leakage into the original sealed plug, if drips get on the cord, which can happen with replacement plugs. Yes there are methods of sealing plugs and wires, but all are lesser alternatives, to the good sealed, original plug. You just can't fix plug as good as they do at the factory.

Replacement plug is a good idea, works, just a lesser quality than original, sealed plug on bucket.