PDA

View Full Version : need some tractor help

Fence2Fence
Jan. 27, 2010, 11:47 PM
I have a Kubota L3400. I use it a couple times a week, and haven't had any problems. I bought it new and it only has about 75 hours on it.

I was dumping muck this evening, turned it around, went to shift (manual clutch) from low to high and suddenly I can't shift.

It's just stuck between high and low. I can't even get it back into neutral. I can shift my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc gears, just fine.

Looking over my owner's manuel to see what service may be over due (so far it's only need oil changes), the only thing I see is I haven't drained the clutch housing.

Looking to explore simple solutions before I call a mechanic out to the farm. As luck would have it, the tractor is parked on the very back of the property. I drive a stick shift truck, so I'm not inclined to think I burned out the clutch, but maybe I should be hoping that's the problem!

Thanks in advance!

hosspuller
Jan. 28, 2010, 12:58 AM
Sounds like your range selector is stuck. First look around under the deck to see if anything has disconnected or gotten stuck (like a stick between the linkage arms) Then, Put the tractor in gear 1, 2 or whatever. Then slowly, slowly let up on the clutch while trying to shift the range selector. Stop letting up on the clutch if any noise starts. (you're trying to move the range gears so they can engage. They don't have syncronizers like the 1,2,3 set does.

ReSomething
Jan. 28, 2010, 03:25 AM
Something like this has happened to DH, and what Hosspuller is saying.

Hunter's Rest
Jan. 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
My Kubota 50 hp does that sometimes (so'd the 30 hp I had before.)
I'm just a girl (with no special knowledge) but ... I just wiggle it around, play with the clutch all the way in, half way in, wiggle wiggle, and eventually it goes into gear.

Hilary
Jan. 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
What hosspuller said - something is in between phases and unhappy.

Our tractor has both 4WD and a lever that does some other connection between the axels. If either one of those is not quite right you won't be able to shift or move.

ALso, check your PTO - I've had that get shoved out of off and nothing works then either.

Fence2Fence
Jan. 29, 2010, 09:19 AM
I appreciate the suggestions and help.

Unfortunately, letting up on the clutch and trying to budge the range selector didn't work. I checked the PTO and I haven't accidentally engaged it. That's worth double checking though!

I don't see any loose wiring or stick or anything like that caught up in in.

I talked with my neighbor and he's going to come out this afternoon to look at it. He suggested we put it in 4th gear and rock it, that sometimes that'll help the gears slip. He said he could also show me how to take off the casing and slip the gears myself. So, we'll see.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcome!

sk_pacer
Jan. 29, 2010, 11:23 AM
If it is still under warranty, call the dealership and get them to fix it properly. It could be something very minor or it could be a problem within the range portion of the gearbox itself.