PDA

View Full Version : Bantam Gone Broody!

RacetrackReject
Jan. 27, 2010, 03:25 PM
My one little Bantam hen has decided to try and hatch some eggs. I had plans on taking them from her, but then I went and picked up the horse's hay and the people there talked me into letting her have a go at it, so we are going with it. She gets off of her nest around 12 every day, so I was able to look at and mark her eggs. She has 8 in total, 4 green ones, 3 brown, and 1 white. None of the eggs are hers though! She lays a smally ivory coloured egg. They have been cooking for about a week now, so I'm guessing 2 1/2 more weeks and they should all be hatched, if they are going to.

I need to try and candle the eggs, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't think I am supposed to really move the eggs and since I would have to do it in the day time, I can't figure out what is the best way. Any ideas?

Her "nest" is sitting on the counter in the "lounge" area in front of the stables. It's more of a covered but open-sided shop area with restroom and kitchen cabinets/counter area. She had started laying eggs on the counter, so I set out a wicker basket with some hay in it and she started laying in that and is now setting her eggs there. My worry is that if the chicks hatch, I will have to take them so they don't fall off of the counter or try and move her whole nest somewhere. I don't want to scare her off of the eggs now, so not sure what to do there either.

Any broodie tips? Suggestions?

Of course if she manages to hatch them, I will post pics =).

PRS
Jan. 27, 2010, 04:35 PM
I had a hen lay eggs on TOP of 6' cabinet in my carport! I didn't realize she was there for the longest time and when the babies hatched they all jumped off the cabinet and were fine. Your girl will hatch out her eggs and her babies will jump off the 3.5 to 4' countertop and they'll be fine. I don't see what good candeling the eggs will do...they will either hatch or not and you'll know in a week or two if they are good. Banties are usually very good brooders and mothers so unless you have an objection to her raising her chicks I'd just leave them be.

Huckleberry86
Jan. 27, 2010, 04:58 PM
You can touch and move the eggs. It is an old wives tale that they will not go back to the nest.

I am a parrot and softbill breeder so it is a little different for colored eggs but to candle you just need a bright light in a focused area (penlights, tiny led maglights are perfect) and place it on the side of the shell, you will see veins on the egg wall if they are fertile. It works no matter how bright the room is with white eggs. Just put them back when you are done. I would mark the fertile eggs but leave all in the nest until they hatch because she is an inexperienced hen.

Also chicks are basically self sufficient as soon as they hatch, just put them somewhere safe and feed them and they will do well, they don't really need mom. I would just move the basket once they hatch to a more acceptable spot, personally, usually mom will follow happily once they start moving around.