PDA

View Full Version : Cameras in trailer -- need advice

lintesia
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hi. I would like to have a security camera installed in my trailer with a monitor in my truck. I know that Dover sells this system, but I was hoping to be able to buy the materials and either have my husband or my trailer repair shop (the dealer) install it. I would imagine this would be cheaper than the Dover route.

I'm sure that there are COTH-ers who have done this and I would very much appreciate hearing your recommendations. Are there particular cameras/monitors that you recommend or that I should stay away from? My trailer is a 3-horse slant GN -- how many cameras would it be best for me to have? Do they need to be color?

I know that wireless is an option -- is it something I shojud consider or will it be too difficult given the size of my rig?

Many thanks in advance!

amys
Jan. 28, 2010, 05:44 AM
I have a camera in my 2 horse straight load. I bought the camera set up that is sold to be used as a back up camera. (they have them at Walmart, I think)
They are made to be wired to the light of your license plate. When you back up the light goes on and it turns the camera on.

We wired the camera to the rear interior light. The wireless tiny monitor is in the truck. As long as the interior trailer lights are on (which turns the camera on), I have a constant view of what is going on in the trailer. Cost about 50 dollars to do all this.

It is important to remember to turn off the lights when you get to your destination.

cutemudhorse
Jan. 28, 2010, 05:56 PM
My camera/monitor came from a guy who used to sell them at an RV place, I guess as back up vision for the big RVs. I wish I could remember his name. He was from out west. I got it on eBay, with warranty for about $300. It is hardwired from the trailer right along the truck frame to the wiring harness on the truck with a plug in the bed just like the one for the trailer brakes. It's run along the same path. The trailer dealer installed it for me for $250. My monitor is 7" color but the color is not very vivid considering you're looking at the inside of a horse trailer. (I have not had reason to haul yet w/interior lights on. ) The seller also had wireless ones, but at that time he said that you could possibly get more interference from the front of the gooseneck (in my case) or depending on how long the truck bed is, ie distance between camera and monitor as well as thickness of metal between them. But they weren't much more $.

I saw a website that sells what look like good ones also. . . they started at about $500 I think and they also would talk you through the install if you needed them to. I spared my husband the grief and went to Blue Ridge Trailers where they are experienced in installing them. When I called them I was told they would look at the unit to determine it they could put it in. I assume they won't attempt to install junky ones, like baby monitors.

If you just look for 'horse trailer cameras' on line the first site that came up for me every time was the one I mentioned above.

I'm really glad I have it!!

atlatl
Jan. 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
We have a wireless setup, not in the horse trailer but the camper trailer so we can see what's behind us before changing lanes, etc.

It was pretty inexpensive at CostCo, less than $100, and my hubby installed a plug for it in the trailer interior light over the back window. It works OK. Lots of interference if there are any power lines around, but it's good enough for our purposes. If I were to put one in the horse trailer and actually wanted to see what was going on with any fidelity, I'd probably go with something quite a bit nicer.

On the other hand, I've always wondered what it is that you're looking for with these cameras? If the horses are acting up, I usually can feel it.