PDA

View Full Version : Houston Barns that do the local stuff?

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 06:34 AM
I know we've hacked over the show barns many times, but this time I've got an acquaintance who wants a barn for a young rider to get local show experience. Horse care is important, a local show schedule is necessary and they are in the 610/290 area but will drive 30 miles in any direction.

I honestly don't know any barns that focus on the local stuff. Any ideas? Does Fincastle do local stuff or are they moving into primarily the A level stuff?

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 06:34 AM
I know we've hacked over the show barns many times, but this time I've got an acquaintance who wants a barn for a young rider to get local show experience. Horse care is important, a local show schedule is necessary and they are in the 610/290 area but will drive 30 miles in any direction.

I honestly don't know any barns that focus on the local stuff. Any ideas? Does Fincastle do local stuff or are they moving into primarily the A level stuff?

Calvaro V
Aug. 5, 2003, 06:37 AM
Txjumper - our barn does.

We have an assistant trainer who is doing all the locals whilst S and P focus on the big A show stuff. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 07:02 AM
Calvaro- I didn't realize that. I'm sure the horse care would be more than up to par for them and there is always the ability to move to the A shows and still stay at the barn.

Calvaro V
Aug. 5, 2003, 09:04 AM
yes - that is a good plan http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Blinky
Aug. 5, 2003, 09:08 AM
When I was checking around for a barn I looked at Finn Castle. I was impressed with the barn and the teaching. The students rode well and the horses were well taken care of. However, my impression was they rarely went to A shows doing mostly local stuff which is why I didn't end up there. I would have your friend check it out. I think they even have a website. I looked at several other local show barns that I would not recommend.

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 09:36 AM
From what I can tell, horse care is a big issue as they've had problems with making sure supplements were given, horse was fed regularly etc. and are tired of having to constantly check up and keep track.

They are looking for good horse care that doesn't require owner intervention constantly, a training program for young girl so she can do local shows and a safe facility where a young teen can be left alone for a couple hours with her horse without constant parental worrying.

Blinky- I'd be interested to know the ones you didn't like so that I can direct this person away from those facilities.

Blinky
Aug. 5, 2003, 09:52 AM
Just sent you a PT.

Also check with Susan Bucci, she has a new place off of 290 I think. I am not sure if she does the local stuff but I liked her when I checked out her place. At the time it was her barn in Waller, just way to far to go.

LLS
Aug. 5, 2003, 11:19 AM
My daughter and I board at Fincastle.

Although our barn has been frustrated at GHHJA shows recently because of the inefficiencies (the delays are astronomical!), and are therefore trying to move over time to mainly A shows, that transition is a long term one. We have a number of younger riders, or riders on greener horses, who still want to do the local shows.

Since I don't want to speak for Jody (and am not sure if she has any stalls available anyway), my recommendation is that the prospective client call directly -- 281-463-4444. She may get a recorder if they are out doing training, but someone will call back.

As for horse care, we have boarded two different horses there (Appendix and warmblood) for 3 1/2 years and I have never had a single complaint about horse care. It is always their first priority.

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks LLS.

Of course a lack of stall space is usually what one finds with a nice barn, whether they are local or A level.

Calvaro- does your barn ever have open stalls?

I suppose they can talk to the trainers and get on a waiting list at whichever barn they like.

And believe me, the waiting is not just GHHJA. Some of the rated shows can be horrendous as well. The recent Oklahoma show was an example- somehow they fell over 3 hours behind at the jumper ring, so that they had to push back the Grand Prix that night (and give the Grand Prix riders all of 10 minutes to do the course walk http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)

flshgordon
Aug. 5, 2003, 11:35 AM
I second the recommendation for Susan Bucci. I ride with her and she's great! Does some local shows as well as the A shows. www.buccifarm.com (http://www.buccifarm.com) reload the page if the website doesn't load the first time. She's at Colorado right now but will be back in a week or so.

Calvaro V
Aug. 5, 2003, 11:54 AM
Txjumper - yes we have some openings. Couple of horses have sold recently and so some spaces have come open.

I think their best bet is to go round and see the different places and meet the trainers, perhpas watch a few lessons,etc. That way you get a good feel for things. At least, that's how I did it.

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 12:03 PM
I'm sure they will be doing the legwork, but I just wanted to give them some "recommendations" rather than having them go down a list and visit places that definitely would not fit the bill. I've got a small list of nice barns/trainers that sound like they might work for them.

I appreciate all the input and suggestions.

Calvaro V
Aug. 5, 2003, 12:10 PM
Yes I agree - saves them seeing the really bad places (like I did)

Boy did I see some places http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LLS
Aug. 5, 2003, 12:34 PM
Calvaro -- are you at Clear Round? The reference to "S" and "P" made me think so. We bought our current horse there a few months ago. She is soooo wonderful. Hunter, rather than a jumper, although I think Stephanie mainly imports the jumpers. Our mare is still quite green though -- just barely 5! She is like an overgrown puppy around the barn. We took her to the George Morris clinic in June and had a wonderful time.

I especially love their new website. Very professional. www.clearround.com (http://www.clearround.com).

Blinky
Aug. 5, 2003, 12:49 PM
Can you remove the CR from their name?

[This message was edited by Blinky on Aug. 05, 2003 at 04:23 PM.]

Calvaro V
Aug. 5, 2003, 12:55 PM
LLS - yes that's where I am. Glad you're happy with the horse. Which horse did you buy if you don't mind me asking. They get in some really nice ones

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 5, 2003, 01:34 PM
I just love the face on CR Lancaster. Any idea if he looks like a good jumper? I know he's very young but his face is adorable in the photo.

Calvaro V
Aug. 5, 2003, 02:02 PM
yes - he's going to be very nice. I think somebody may be interested in him though - I'm not sure

LLS
Aug. 5, 2003, 03:46 PM
Oh well, I just posted a reply and it disappeared into cyberspace! I'll try again.

Calvaro -- we bought CR Envy and have given her the show name Envision. She was imported last fall, and we bought her in March.

Blinky -- Clear Round reluctantly allowed me to remove the "CR", although I don't think she was too happy about it. I would have been fine if Envy was a jumper, but I didn't like the way it looked or sounded on a hunter. Sounded like "See Our Envy".

At any rate, I was looking at a very nice Oldenburg gelding in our barn, but the owners wouldn't come down in price. The price wasn't outrageous for a warmblood, but he still had some polishing/developing to do (lead changes weren't auto, etc.) So our trainer took us to look at Envy as an example of the kind of horse that we should be getting for that kind of money. I think she was trying to make me feel better about losing out on the gelding -- so we could start over within our price range -- but of course like fools my daughter and I fell in love with Envy.

They have clicked really well so far, although Envy clearly needs some mileage and they are still learning each other. Envy is so beautiful that sometimes I just like to look in awe at the way she moves. They took champion at their first local show. Their first A show in Waco was a little bit of a comedy of errors -- the first day Envy was just braided before she went in the ring, and she couldn't stand the extra tight braids when she basculed over the jump (we learned a lesson about how to braid her in the future!). But she was great on the flat.

We are hoping to go to several shows this fall in Houston. The most satisfying part is that my daughter loves having a horse with so much personality and affection. Her prior horse was a gelding who was wonderful in many ways, but his informal nickname could have een "grumpy". That's tough on teenage girls who want to compete, but also want to pour out all kinds of affection and care on these animals.

LawnOrnamentLuvr
Aug. 5, 2003, 08:51 PM
Can anyone PT me on these barns? I'd love to hear more since I'm in the Houston area and I need a place to send my filly for backing and starting. Good or bad.. it won't go any further. TIA

Lawny

Houston, where hell rarely freezes over.

Hunter88
Aug. 5, 2003, 10:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TXJumper:
From what I can tell, horse care is a big issue as they've had problems with making sure supplements were given, horse was fed regularly etc. and are tired of having to constantly check up and keep track.

They are looking for good horse care that doesn't require owner intervention constantly, a training program for young girl so she can do local shows and a safe facility where a young teen can be left alone for a couple hours with her horse without constant parental worrying.
.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been riding with Jody for 11 and a half years, and been boarding with her for about 3 and I can say I have never had a problem with anything of the sort! My mare is a chronic colic'er and Jody has been nothing but there, even coming along for a couple long trailer rides http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Also, LLS's mare (Envy) is on supplements and there has never been a problem with her getting her supplements or anything, and DEFINITELY nothing of horses not getting fed! Im Sorry if I seem pushy or anything, but I hate to think that rumors would ever go around about the way we treat our horses because I promise, I would not have stayed this long if anything had ever happened to my baby. Also, yes we do have a website www.fincastlefarm.com (http://www.fincastlefarm.com) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif As for the "where a young teen can be left alone" that is fincastle right there! I am 14 and frequently I stay out at FCF all day with just Lilly and everything is great, also there are about 10 or so girls between the ages of 13 and 19 and everyone is very supportive! If you have any questions PT me I would be happy to answer them

Whoever said Money couldn't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse

Texan By The Grace Of God
Aug. 5, 2003, 10:11 PM
Calvaro do you know Melissa Binstock?? we have been friends for MANY years..also two of my best friends came to our barn from clear round ..Kristin Compton with CR Passion and Caitlin Hipp with Imani..Do you know them? Also do you know Philipe?? I just love him to DEATH!!

"It is the difficult horses that have the most to give you."

G.A. Barnes

Blinky
Aug. 6, 2003, 05:16 AM
Hunter88,
That is great that you love Fin Castle. However, TXJumper was not referring to your barn when she made those comments. In fact it was recommended that she check out your barn as it and Jody do have a good reputation. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Blinky
Aug. 6, 2003, 05:24 AM
LLS,
Congrats on your new horse! She sounds lovely. Now we need pictures. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Calvaro V
Aug. 6, 2003, 05:36 AM
Yes I know them all very well

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 6, 2003, 06:05 AM
Hunter88- Blinky is correct. The situation is at their current barn. I've never heard anything but good things about Fincastle and at shows they've always done well, had attentive and really nice and friendly trainers and wonderful and friendly riders (even to us, the competition at the time).

Fincastle was one of the barns which I recommended highly to this person.

Sorry if it implied that Fincastle was less than great. Again, that is what they want to escape from.

Pinto WB
Aug. 6, 2003, 06:39 AM
Calvaro - check your private topics.

Hunter88
Aug. 6, 2003, 12:33 PM
oh ok! Sorry for the misunderstanding! Im glad that y'all think we are friendly http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif hehe! Also
Blinky- Your with Shannon correct?

Blinky
Aug. 6, 2003, 01:18 PM
Yes, I ride with Shannon.

barbarap
Aug. 7, 2003, 11:07 AM
re Fincastle. I think Jody has a stall available. We are "moving up" to the A show circuit and so Jody is looking for serious riders. We will do the odd GHHJA show but as LLS said this is really for show experience for our younger and less experienced riders. I suggest the client come and have a look. We have a wonderful group of riders (and parents!)And we are very friendly!!!

Rift
Aug. 7, 2003, 07:15 PM
Has anyone tried Little Bay Farm? I've heard they have a beautiful place and go to the local and "A" shows. Their kids won alot of year end awards locally last year and are doing great this year at the"A"s.

the eleven
Aug. 7, 2003, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rift:
Has anyone tried Little Bay Farm? I've heard they have a beautiful place and go to the local and "A" shows. Their kids won alot of year end awards locally last year and are doing great this year at the"A"s.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From your profile you seem very well acquainted with the place.

-------------
"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -Zoolander

Rosmel's Cover Girl
Aug. 8, 2003, 08:01 AM
Hi, I ride at Sam Houston Equestrian Center. We do GHHJA shows about once a month. It's a fun place and my pony gets great care.

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 08:18 AM
So what do most of you consider the "local" circuit? Are you talking about the local THJA/A shows or the 2 schooling circuits (GHHJA & SJHSA)?

jcotton
Aug. 8, 2003, 08:26 AM
As far as backing and starting a young horse, you may want to get in touch with Ricky Hunt. He is in Hempstead, and 6-9 month waiting list. He is very good.

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 8, 2003, 08:27 AM
ROSMELS COVERGIRL- Who is the trainer out at GSW? When we were down there for Pin Oak I saw Andrea Seaman teaching a lesson. My daughter loved Andrea as a trainer.

OMGPony- I think they are looking for schooling shows, more of GHHJA than Final Chase or Pin Oak level shows. I know one the horses is very green and I don't think they have alot of show experience of any sort. I am under the impression they just want to get a start in the show world while getting horses and riders trained.

If you've never really done any shows I think something like Pin Oak could be fairly daunting.

Portia
Aug. 8, 2003, 08:33 AM
I think of GHHJA as the local stuff. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The "A" shows the THJA recognizes are all USA Eq "A" shows anyway and THJA gives them parallel recognition.

In my mind, there are three basic categories for what the barns around here do: (1) the barns that do the GHHJA primarily, with maybe an A or B show at GSWEC once in awhile; (2) the barns that do Texas A shows and maybe go to Gulfport but don't travel too far, and (3) the barns that do A shows all over and go to Florida or Indio for the winter circuits, and go back East or to California or Colorado during the summer.

Our barn, Tex-Over, is now in the second category and the main group that rides with Jo doesn't really do GHHJA shows anymore. However, Marilynn, the younger trainer, still takes the greenie riders out to the GHHJAs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Till you feed us, right and wrong can wait.
Bertolt Brecht (and every horse)

Aug. 8, 2003, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rift:
Has anyone tried Little Bay Farm? I've heard they have a beautiful place and go to the local and "A" shows. Their kids won alot of year end awards locally last year and are doing great this year at the"A"s.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have..my old trainer is there. I would Def. REccomend it!

G.A. Barnes

Aug. 8, 2003, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TXJumper:
ROSMELS COVERGIRL- Who is the trainer out at GSW? When we were down there for Pin Oak I saw Andrea Seaman teaching a lesson. My daughter loved Andrea as a trainer.

OMGPony- I think they are looking for schooling shows, more of GHHJA than Final Chase or Pin Oak level shows. I know one the horses is very green and I don't think they have alot of show experience of any sort. I am under the impression they just want to get a start in the show world while getting horses and riders trained.

If you've never really done any shows I think something like Pin Oak could be fairly daunting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
She rides at Sam houston which is formerly Hermann Park http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

G.A. Barnes

Aug. 8, 2003, 08:48 AM
Also GHHJA is definitely local circuit. THJA wouldnt really be local just because they have shows in Dallas and what not. I have my oppinions on Sam houston/Herman park..PM me if you'd like to know!

G.A. Barnes

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 8, 2003, 09:45 AM
You got me- Sam Houston not GSW. Actually, at first I thought she meant the racetrack. (My daughter is dying to ride there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

And I agree with Portia- there are 3 distinct levels. And there are a number of barns struggling to make that jump from one group to the next, but having a tough time getting everyone "on board".

I think the folks that I was asking about are looking for the first category- the GHHJA and maybe an A or B if it is at GSWEC. No sense in going all the way to Indio to find out your horse isn't ready.

Aug. 8, 2003, 10:14 AM
You got me- Sam Houston not GSW. Actually, at first I thought she meant the racetrack. (My daughter is dying to ride there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

And I agree with Portia- there are 3 distinct levels. And there are a number of barns struggling to make that jump from one group to the next, but having a tough time getting everyone "on board".

I think the folks that I was asking about are looking for the first category- the GHHJA and maybe an A or B if it is at GSWEC. No sense in going all the way to Indio to find out your horse isn't ready.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You got that right!

How much do all 6 weeks of indio/wef cost??? i could imagine it would be my college tuition..

G.A. Barnes

the eleven
Aug. 8, 2003, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcotton:
As far as backing and starting a young horse, you may want to get in touch with Ricky Hunt. He is in Hempstead, and 6-9 month waiting list. He is very good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I know him very well and he is nothing but fantastic.

-------------
"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -Zoolander

Rift
Aug. 8, 2003, 11:30 AM
Little Bay Farm can back and start babies. They do everything from the hunter breeding to baby green, pre green, babies off the track and start from scratch. Their number is 281-516-0588.

SGray
Aug. 8, 2003, 11:54 AM
Rift, I'm confused - I thought 21403 was "Winning Ways" now?

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it," --Texas congressional candidate John F. Parker.

archieflies
Aug. 8, 2003, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(1) the barns that do the GHHJA primarily, with maybe an A or B show at GSWEC once in awhile; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heehee, or there's those of us that love the just plain San Jac shows. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Someday I'll have the money for the A's, but you can't beat San Jac for fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
However, Marilynn, the younger trainer, still takes the greenie riders out to the GHHJAs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which Marilynn is that? I think I know, but I'm not real familiar with Tex Over

Saw 'Em Off...

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 12:51 PM
yes, the SJHSA shows are a lot more fun than the GHHJA ones and a whole lot cheaper for a schooling show!

Blinky
Aug. 8, 2003, 12:52 PM
Where are those at?

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:00 PM
My daughter and her jumper spent their first year of shows fighting with Brutus for the Championship in San Jac. I think that was the year she bounced the one stride and fell in the last show, thus allowing Brutus to be Champion without much of a fight.

The San Jacs are at some of the northside barns- North Fork, Serenity, Northwind, Magnolia Acres (Magnolia Acres always gave trophies in the jumper divisions besides ribbons http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). They were fun shows and everyone knew everyone else.

The last GHHJA shows we did (probably 2 years ago), they were already almost as expensive as the A shows for classes and the rings moved just as slowly as well.

Blinky
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks TXJumper for the info!

I saw on the barn board your daughter has a busy show schedule planned this fall. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:19 PM
SanJac year end awards are better too, just about everybody gets something, even the baby greens and schooling divisions which aren't recognized by GHHJA. They also don't have all the rules that say you have to do so many shows a year to keep your year end points. All the kids at our barn were shut out of GHHJa year end because they didn't do a certain number of shows. Most of us went to them but so many of the divisions didn't make a bunch of times so you don't always get to show when you go. Then they charge you a "schooling fee" for not showing plus you pay for your stall plus you pay the office fees plus you pay a late fee if your entris aren't in by Friday afternoon. Geez.

LLS
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:25 PM
Who would have ever thought this thread would have attracted so much attention? Ditto the farrier thread for Houston.

At any rate, this has made me really curious about the frequent (and not so frequent) Houston posters. I would love to put faces (and horses!) with the Houston-area BB names, especially the frequent posters like Blinky, Portia, TXJumper, CalvaroV, Texan By the Grace of God, and the rest. That way I could watch for you at shows and root for a fellow BBer.

Maybe before the late September A show at GSWEC we can do a round of on line introductions and find out who is competing and what divisions. Or even before the Linda Allen's clinic (I am sure my daughter and I will audit at least one day).

I guess I can start off. I am an attorney who works downtown, with a 14 year old daughter named Emma who rides. She occasionally logs on the board and posts as BarnGodess (I think she flunked spelling). I loved to ride when I was young, but never competed seriously. I now just mess around on our old horse at our farm and enjoy my time at the barn in Houston. I love learning as much as I can about horse care, and about the art and sport of riding. Its probably the lawyer-inquisitiveness in me. Horses are just plain beautiful athletes to watch, and I am always so impressed by what good riders can accomplish on a horse.

Emma rides hunters at Fincastle Farm on her new Westfalian mare -- Envy -- which is described in an earlier post in this thread. She mainly did GHHJA with her old horse, but rode at a couple of the Houston A shows in Limited Hunter.

She is going to do Children's Hunter in the late September A show, health of rider and horse permitting!

What about everyone else?

flshgordon
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:33 PM
Hi LLS!

Actually I was going to suggest that maybe some of the COTH crowd get together for drinks or dinner one day/evening of the Linda Allen clinic....it looks like there should be several BBers there! I will be there with my FAT grey dutch gelding. He will be easy to spot--probably the only gelding there with a "girlie" name--Zoey.

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:41 PM
The San Jac year end awards were wonderful. My daughter won a really nice, 14 or 15 inch high statue of a jumping horse (thing ways a ton) one year.

I thought GHHJA did some ridiculous stuff at the end of the year (must have shown in x number of shows etc), which eliminated over 50% of the people in most of the divisions. Points is points. USAEq doesn't care how many shows you did if you beat everyone else in points.

My daughter Lindsay is 18 and rides with Shannon Slyfield. Her horse is a little grey TB named Ghost of a Chance. He does jumpers and just moved up to small Grand Prix. We're still trying to find out if he can handle the big Grand Prix. They were trying for the Young Riders team but we've had many "leg issues" and they were off most of the spring qualifying period. Maybe next year (qualifying begins Oct 1).

Blinky- I haven't seen the schedule yet, but I know Shannon wants to get Whiskey and Grimm back out at shows. They both were wonderful in OK. And I know Lindsay is hunting any Grand Prix she can find, she's got the GP bug.

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:49 PM
HI TX Jumper! I know Lindsey and Ghost of a Chance! I was doing my large pony in the jumpers at GHHJa a couple of years ago toschool for the pony jumper classes and showed against them a lot that year! Woohoo! My pony and her horse were usually champion and reserve back and forth. I don't know if she remembers me, I had a grey pony named Jubilee. All the kids atour barn were pretty bummed out about GHHJa last year. Some division had only 2 or 3 horses at year end so most of the awards went to a small group of riders at only a few barns.
Way to go Lindsey!

EStieg12
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:50 PM
TXJumper -
I don't know if you are still looking for a barn for you friend that does local shows but I rode at one in North Houston when I was down there for an internship. It's called Willowbrook Farm. They do mostly the pony stuff but the trainers are really nice and the kids there are a lot of fun. The pony Rollingwood's Sticky Fingers who has been to the Pony Finals lives there and the futurity winner Hall or Blues also was from there. I would suggest them for the local stuff.

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:54 PM
EStieg, check your PT.

Blinky
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:58 PM
I had no idea we had so many Houston posters here! I'm game for getting together sometime.

My bio-returning adult Hunter rider and working professional on the west side. I just bought a real caretaker and am hoping to start showing again. The thought of showing again makes me not only exicted but nervous at the same time! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TXJumper-As she should-she is doing great!

Aug. 8, 2003, 01:58 PM
Actually rollingwoods sticky fingers is my friend Lindseys pony and she does NOT live at willowbrook. Rollingwoods STICK to it does! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Im Gabby and i Train with Teri Bludworth at Blue Fox Farms. I Show a very obese TB in the Childrens Hunters and 3ft-3'3 eq stuff. Hes a small Chestnut with 3 stalkings and a fat blaze. Goes by the Name Cool Beans. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

" You will never know the ending if you leave before the story is over."

G.A. Barnes

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:00 PM
Go Gabby, your horse is "pleasingly plump" not obese!

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:11 PM
OMG- How could we not remember Jubilee? That little horse could jump, turn on a dime. Always knew if we set down a fast time you might be able to go in and beat it (and I seem to remember that you did on plenty of occasions). Is Jubilee still doing the jumpers?

Aug. 8, 2003, 02:23 PM
OMG- How could we not remember Jubilee? That little horse could jump, turn on a dime. Always knew if we set down a fast time you might be able to go in and beat it (and I seem to remember that you did on plenty of occasions). Is Jubilee still doing the jumpers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think Jubilee went back to hunters. Well at Pin oak in 2002 he was doing the hunters.And very well i might add!

G.A. Barnes

LLS
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:25 PM
I too remember Ghost of A Chance. Very nice horse. Grey, right?

Gabby, I think Emma and her friend Martha met you at Blue Fox when we were looking at horses in February or so. We will definately look for you in September (although I guess I can't root for you since you will be in the same division!).

Is Rollingwood's Sticky Fingers located at Blue Fox too?

More bios and horse i.d. stuff please!

Aug. 8, 2003, 02:27 PM
Yes i think they did! She tried coon right?

No Sticky trains with Lindsey and Her dad Shane George (Show Sports) they are in Magnolia and they are the NICEST people ever!

G.A. Barnes

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:27 PM
that's my boy! We eliminated the RosMel part ofhis name when we started doing the jumpers that year. He is being leased by a beginning rider now since I am 19 and can't show him anymore. the pony jumpers never took off very big around here so we just did it a couple of years during the summer mostly out of state. He loved doing the jumpers! Now I'm on in TX for the summer and go to college in Daytona Beach; my horse, CoCo lives in Ocala while I'm there and she loves it there! Did you guys see Jubilee's picture on that ad for the Pin Oak Grand Prix? A friend emailed me and told me about it and boy was I surprised to see us right there in between Peter Pletcher and Whitney Ownes!
Yay Jubie!

Aug. 8, 2003, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMGpony:
that's my boy! We eliminated the RosMel part ofhis name when we started doing the jumpers that year. He is being leased by a beginning rider now since I am 19 and can't show him anymore. the pony jumpers never took off very big around here so we just did it a couple of years during the summer mostly out of state. He loved doing the jumpers! Now I'm on in TX for the summer and go to college in Daytona Beach; my horse, CoCo lives in Ocala while I'm there and she loves it there! Did you guys see Jubilee's picture on that ad for the Pin Oak Grand Prix? A friend emailed me and told me about it and boy was I surprised to see us right there in between Peter Pletcher and Whitney Ownes!
Yay Jubie!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes i did and he fit right in too!! such a cutie pie!

G.A. Barnes

Blinky
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:32 PM
A celebrity in our midst! That was a great picture.

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:36 PM
boohoo! I miss my pony! i think they should have an adult pony division or something.
This year it was really hard to stay home from pony finals, this is the first year I haven't gone in forever!
I hope the girl that is leasing him can do the ponies at the schooling shows this fall and maybe he can go back to doing the A rated ponies next year. Jubie loves his job.
I wish i could do the fall shows here with all you guys but maybe you can get your barns to come to Ocala for some of the winter shows and visit wit' me!

Aug. 8, 2003, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMGpony:
boohoo! I miss my pony! i think they should have an adult pony division or something.
This year it was really hard to stay home from pony finals, this is the first year I haven't gone in forever!
I hope the girl that is leasing him can do the ponies at the schooling shows this fall and maybe he can go back to doing the A rated ponies next year. Jubie loves his job.
I wish i could do the fall shows here with all you guys but maybe you can get your barns to come to Ocala for some of the winter shows and visit wit' me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who do you train with in Ocala?? I have some friends down there..

G.A. Barnes

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:45 PM
I think our trainer is talking about possibly doing Ocala this year rather than Gulfport (tho I love Gulfport).

OMG -What school do you go to? My daughter wants to go to college in FL (I assume primarily for proximity to show circuits of course). She took this year to stay around and concentrate on showing and making Young Riders in 2004, but eventually I want her out of my house and into a college.

the eleven
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:48 PM
I know I am only making it worse, but this thread is entirely too active. There is a new post every minute. Thanks for keeping me entertained.

-------------

Aug. 8, 2003, 02:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by your mom:
I know I am only making it worse, but this thread is entirely too active. There is a new post every minute. Thanks for keeping me entertained.

-------------
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Texans love to talk!

G.A. Barnes

OMGpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 02:59 PM
yakity yak!
I go to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and major in aerospace engineering. Ther is a Univ of Central florida campus in Daytona if aviation's not her thisg, our school is pretty specialized. There are branches of Univ of florida ll over the state too and some nice small, private colleges. Stetson University is close by, small liberal arts college.
My horse lives at Anne Danne's barn in Ocala, she used to live here and had 2 duaghters, Rachel and Emily that used to show around here. The trainer there is Sonya Crampton, she's from Canada and I like her a lot. She has done 3 day eventing with the Canadian Olympic team and did Rolex this year. She had a solid foundation in hunters. Christina Schlusmeyer is in Ocala too and Don stewart. You can alwyas pick up a good clinic there.
Yes yes! Everybody come to Ocala next winter!!!!!

LawnOrnamentLuvr
Aug. 8, 2003, 07:04 PM
What a small world! I bought my TB broodmare (the mother of my filly) from Anne Danne when she lived in Houston. Some of my friends also purchased horses from her. I knew she had moved to Florida a few years back. Nice lady.

Lawny

Houston, where hell rarely freezes over.

Rift
Aug. 8, 2003, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SGray:

Yes, That address is SGF Winning Ways Farm. Little Bay Farm leases one of their barns to run their buisness out of. Works quite well actually.

Aug. 8, 2003, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SGray:

Yes, That address is SGF Winning Ways Farm. Little Bay Farm leases one of their barns to run their buisness out of. Works quite well actually.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where in relation to down town houston is LBF ?? i want to stop out and see my old trainer! actually trainerS lol

G.A. Barnes

Rift
Aug. 9, 2003, 04:47 AM
Hey Gabby!!LBF is close to Tomball. I should have the new web site up in a coulpe days and it has maps and everything. Or just call me. I'll be out there all morning today.I posted my number earlier. L.

Aug. 9, 2003, 05:38 AM
Im actually in north carolina. But i will call when i get home!

G.A. Barnes

archieflies
Aug. 9, 2003, 11:23 AM
My daughter and her jumper spent their first year of shows fighting with Brutus for the Championship in San Jac. I think that was the year she bounced the one stride and fell in the last show, thus allowing Brutus to be Champion without much of a fight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I got to show Brutus a couple times last year. I still have the occasional lesson on him, but this summer's been hell on him. He's amazing though, taught me a ton.

Saw 'Em Off...

Portia
Aug. 9, 2003, 11:57 AM
Gosh, you folks have been chatty. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm up for meeting at Linda's clinic. I'm not having to run the thing this time, so I'll be able to relax more. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As for me, I'm an adult amateur with two horses: Lucien, a 16 year old chestnut trakehner gelding that I do the adult jumpers on sometimes, though we don't show very often, and the REAL Portia, an 8 year old grey Oldenburg mare, who has been doing the level 6's and is probably going to start doing the open jumpers this fall, with my trainer Jo riding her.

I've been at Tex-Over Farm in Conroe for 11 years or so now, with the same trainer. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It's a great place, with very experienced horsepeople running it, great care, and very nice facilities, not to mention just a great group of folks in general. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've got a couple of great new photos of Portia from the Spring Gathering show that I know I won't be able to resist posting, but I haven't scanned them yet. In the meantime, here's a photo of her from San Antonio a few months ago. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Portia
Aug. 9, 2003, 11:58 AM
And this is Lucien and me schooling from a few years ago. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~

archieflies
Aug. 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>He will be easy to spot--probably the only gelding there with a "girlie" name--Zoey.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

flshgordon-
Zoey is not alone! I ride an amazing gelding named Abby. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (Though we won't be at the clinic- I am a poor college student, besides I'll be back up at school).

Anyyyyyways...
I'm Bethany, I go to A&M and hang out here with the family between semesters and whenever I can manage to get home during the semester. (Which is usually any weekend when there is a San Jac show!) I have spent the last 2 and a half amazing years riding with John DeLeyer up at North Fork in Tomball. I don't have my own horse, and won't til after college, but I ride anything and everything that goes through John's place. Those of you who do San Jac may remember Archie, John's lovely wonderful unsuspecting little paint that always kicked butt in the schooling jumpers. That guy taught me to jump and I got to show him last year. Tomorrow will be exactly one year since his death and I miss him tons. I rode Wimberly and Brutus for a while after Archie died, but now have found my match with Abby (shows as Loui's Pride). Who ever would have thought I'd actually be comfortable over a five foot square oxer?? I owe John my life. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
The only A show I ever go to is Pin Oak (though not with a horse- just to help out) but I recognize all of your horses. I know John always has to tell our people to watch out for Ghost of a Chance. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Anyways, since I can't make it to the big shows- is anyone goign to be at the San Jac banquet this year? Oh dear, I need ot check the A&M football schedule- missed the banquet last year for the OU game and dont regret it!

OMGPony- did you go to Klein HS? Think I know ya... definitely know your ponies.

Saw 'Em Off...

Portia
Aug. 9, 2003, 12:36 PM
archiflys, if you ride with John, then you do know our Marilynn. She used to ride with John. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hunter88
Aug. 9, 2003, 01:38 PM
I guess talking is what Texan's do best! I am Martha, LLS's second daughter and BarnGodess's friend/"sister"! I am 14 and Im probably going to be showing quite a lot in houston this fall and maybe in San Antonio in November. My horse is Diamond Lil... some of yall may have seen me black out on the 3rd to last jump @ the Waco Blue Ribbon Festival in the childrens http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif But then again I may look different without an oxygen mask on hehe.Im going to be auditing at least one day of the Linda Allen clinic, probably the 2nd day (depending on what LLS and Emma do!) I definitely want to put some faces to those names with some of yall!

Blinky- do you know Charlotte? She is from Sonesta but has started training with Shannon on saterdays

OMGpony
Aug. 9, 2003, 03:54 PM
OMGpony did go to Klein! Did you 2? I am apoor college student too & I remeber Archie from the shows. That year we didn't have anyone doing jumpers but would alwyas watch them cuz they're so fun. Was that lsat year or the year beore? I get confused and all the show years run together. I missed the banquet last year too becuase I was away at college but The other kids from our barn picked up my ribbons & stuff. Their banquets are always great. I am going to help out at the Magnolia Acres show but not show my mare because iyt's the same judge from the Serenity Farm show and the judging all day was pretty bad and it's the weekend before I leave so my mare can rest before the long trailer ride.

OMGpony
Aug. 9, 2003, 03:55 PM
Hey archieflies! I have a friend at A&M in the band. She is going to try to be on the riding team also this year if she can squeeze it in her schedule.

archieflies
Aug. 9, 2003, 05:16 PM
Portia- I do know Marilynn! Wow, I haven't seen her since... who knows! Does she still have that chestnut? Can't remember its name... showed as Eager II Please, I think...

OMGPony- yup, went to Klein! I don't think I ever knew you real well or had classes with you, but once we both stayed after school for one of Dr Frnka's awful chem labs and talked horses... Geez, that was forever ago! I see you around shows occasionally. I agree about the Serenity judging. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif Long live the jumpers! A stopwatch never lies! But yes, it was last year that I showed Archie, Whitney Vine showed him the year before. Poor guy was just a baby. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif
Tell your frined to go for it, the team has been an amazing challenge to me... you know John, he's not exactly George Morris when it comes to equitaton! I've had to completely relearn my riding, which has made a huge difference in the jumpers. We did have a girl Laura from the band on the team last year, but I think the Corps and band and team were all too much to handle at the same time.

Saw 'Em Off...

Aug. 9, 2003, 09:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter88:
I guess talking is what Texan's do best! I am Martha, LLS's second daughter and BarnGodess's friend/"sister"! I am 14 and Im probably going to be showing quite a lot in houston this fall and maybe in San Antonio in November. My horse is Diamond Lil... some of yall may have seen me black out on the 3rd to last jump @ the Waco Blue Ribbon Festival in the childrens http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif But then again I may look different without an oxygen mask on hehe.Im going to be auditing at least one day of the Linda Allen clinic, probably the 2nd day (depending on what LLS and Emma do!) I definitely want to put some faces to those names with some of yall!

Blinky- do you know Charlotte? She is from Sonesta but has started training with Shannon on saterdays

Whoever said Money couldn't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think i met you at Blue Fox. You guys looked at horses or stopped by to see some horses. I ride cool Beans..hes the fatty chestnut..you might have even looked at him! Anyways im pretty sure i met you. We talked about Zandro and Mr.Fabulous lol..

G.A. Barnes

hkc
Aug. 9, 2003, 09:52 PM
just thought i'd say Howdy to all the fellow Texans. I'm a north texan, but i have family down in the Houston area, ya'll are amazing for handling the humidity down there! kudos!

ckh

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 10, 2003, 06:59 AM
Archieflies- I didn't know Archie had died. I thought he was still fairly young. What happened, or was he just older than I thought? Also did you ever track down Wimberly?

Portia- Your mare Portia has matured sooo much. I remember her from years ago at the GHHJA shows. All the girls in our barn coveted that horse. And the way Jo would use the shows to school the little lady in manners ("You will put 4 strides in here because I said so"). She looks wonderful.

archieflies
Aug. 10, 2003, 11:18 AM
Archieflies- I didn't know Archie had died. I thought he was still fairly young. What happened, or was he just older than I thought? Also did you ever track down Wimberly?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it was one year ago today. I cried this morning when I saw the calendar. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I don't think they ever came up with a conclusive answer... I had shown him at Willowglen on Sunday and he had been coughing a bit, but he had such a huge heart, and we went reserve... by Wednesday he was so out of it... stumbling and couldn't stand... stayed at vet several days... Saturday John took him up to A&M as a last resort. I was at a wedding when they put him down, and I'm still angry at myself for not being there with him... preliminary tests showed positive for a possibility of several different spinal cord diseases, but none for sure... I never asked about the autopsy results, and John never offered it... we were all too broken up to talk about it. I know that Chili at Willowglen had a mild case of West Nile that same week... Just the other day I finally went in the trailer and pulled out the saddle pad I had left in there after that last show. I hadn't been able to look at it because it was covered with Archie hair. He was only 6. Best darn horse I've ever been on. There'll never be another Archie, ever.

I keep forgetting to ask John where Wimberly went, but I know he went last October or November. I'll ask during my lesson Tuesday.

Do you ever hear about Betty Davis, big blonde chestnut mare John used to have? He never said who bought her, but I know she had a nasty injury after she left. I wonder if she was able to fully recover... What a talented horse.

Saw 'Em Off...

Hunter88
Aug. 10, 2003, 05:15 PM
Gabby- Yep! I remember! I believe emma had tried out coon the day before! And I remember you showing us beans! what a cutie!! And yeah we definitely talked about zandro and mr fabulous http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif AKA- big competition! But I havent seen Mr Fabulous in the Childrens this year but I havent been showing much

Aug. 10, 2003, 06:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter88:
Gabby- Yep! I remember! I believe emma had tried out coon the day before! And I remember you showing us beans! what a cutie!! And yeah we definitely talked about zandro and mr fabulous http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif AKA- big competition! But I havent seen Mr Fabulous in the Childrens this year but I havent been showing much

Whoever said Money couldn't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He does the adult hunters now!

G.A. Barnes

the eleven
Aug. 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
Ali doesn't show Major (Mr. Fabulous) anymore. Her mother rides him in the Older Adults now.

What about him?

-------------

suecoo
Aug. 10, 2003, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you ever hear about Betty Davis, big blonde chestnut mare John used to have? He never said who bought her, but I know she had a nasty injury after she left. I wonder if she was able to fully recover... What a talented horse. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My friend Christine Handley-Shifflet bought her! She did have a serious accident but fully recovered and is doing very well now. As a matter of fact they were in Oklahoma last week showing. Chris also has that fab Z-line hunter mare 'Sofia" also a chestnut.

Cheers to all the Redheads out here!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

p.s. - Portia, you look awesome on Lucien!! I didn't know you rode like THAT!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SueCoo & the Redhead (a/k/a "Atlanta")
Life without horses is possible, but pointless......

Hunter88
Aug. 10, 2003, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by your mom:
Ali doesn't show Major (Mr. Fabulous) anymore. Her mother rides him in the Older Adults now.

What about him?

-------------
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just remember seeing them winning a lot in the Childrens! I was rather intimidated when i went to watch a show and saw them clean up http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif hehe beautiful horse and she seems like a really good rider http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

archieflies
Aug. 10, 2003, 09:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suecoo:

My friend Christine Handley-Shifflet bought her! She did have a serious accident but fully recovered and is doing very well now. As a matter of fact they were in Oklahoma last week showing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay you have no idea how happy that makes me! Betty was still pretty young and green when I rode her, but she gave me so much confidence!

Saw 'Em Off...

RacetrackReject
Aug. 11, 2003, 06:33 AM
Gabby- Do you remember a dark chestnut horse named Wicked Jay at Blue Fox? If so, he ended up at my old barn where he was turned into an eventer. His first event at Novice, he placed 4th (no faults, just ran XC too fast).

flshgordon
Aug. 11, 2003, 07:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by archieflies:

flshgordon-
Zoey is not alone! I ride an amazing gelding named Abby. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (Though we won't be at the clinic- I am a poor college student, besides I'll be back up at school).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh boy will he ever be glad to hear that!!! The clinic is a weekend, you should come down and visit the folks and watch http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe I will see you at a football game this year. We have season tickets so we will be down there 6 or 7 times this fall.

milynda milam
Aug. 11, 2003, 08:01 AM
Maybe I missed it in the earlier posts about SJHSA, but does anyone have a link to a website for them or contact info to get on their mailing list? I did a Google search but didn't get anything useful. We go to the GHHJA shows in between the Paint shows, but I have heard from several people that the San Jac shows are really fun and might be a good place to take a young horse who needs show miles.

Also, I think a Houston area get together in the fall would be fun! Things have slowed down up here--at this point we're done, the mares are either pregnant or they're not--and we are getting away from the farm more now. The Pin Oak COTH meeting was fun and it is always nice to put a face on fellow BBers.

Milynda Milam
Red Fox Farm
Home of the Custom Color Sporthorses
http://www.redfoxfarm.com

ProzacPuppy
Aug. 11, 2003, 09:50 AM
As far as I know, there is no San Jac website. They used to have a newsletter that went out fairly regularly that had all the details. I'm not even sure who the contact is for them anymore. Archie? Anyone?

You could probably contact someone at one of the host barns- Willow Glen, Serenity, North Fork, Northwind and get information.

The San Jacs are very friendly, low stress, low cost shows that allow very green horses (and riders) to get show ring mileage without the huge expense or all the stress of the bigger GHHJA or rated shows. They are trailer in and trailer out type shows.

Portia
Aug. 11, 2003, 10:58 AM
Portia- Your mare Portia has matured sooo much. I remember her from years ago at the GHHJA shows. All the girls in our barn coveted that horse. And the way Jo would use the shows to school the little lady in manners ("You will put 4 strides in here because I said so"). She looks wonderful.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! Thanks, TXJumper. I'm glad people realized what Jo was doing, and that she wasn't just ruining a perfectly good jumper round by pulling the mare up short for the fun of it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Missy mare had to figure out you don't take strides out just because you can. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Suecoo, amazing how one split second photo can make it look like you know what you're doing, isn't it? That's why I'm hanging on to that one and ignoring all the ones where we look totally goofy. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

And because I can't resist, here are the new pictures that I scanned this weekend. Both were taken at the Spring Gathering in the Level 6 jumpers. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Portia
Aug. 11, 2003, 10:59 AM
And the second one, a less typical view. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~

flshgordon
Aug. 11, 2003, 12:36 PM
Those are great Portia! Amazing she barely looks as if she's having to try in that first one. Lots of room to move up http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Are you going to be showing her soon?

SGray
Aug. 11, 2003, 12:37 PM

Yes, That address is SGF Winning Ways Farm. Little Bay Farm leases one of their barns to run their buisness out of. Works quite well actually.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the explanation - I so 'directionally challenged' that I thought that I'd just missed something

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it," --Texas congressional candidate John F. Parker.

SGray
Aug. 11, 2003, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:
And this is Lucien and me schooling from a few years ago. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~
_Bertolt Brecht_ (and every horse)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice flat back there P!

LLS
Aug. 11, 2003, 01:27 PM
That mare is definately a beautiful jumper! What a proud Mom (oops - I meant indentured servant) you must be...

archieflies
Aug. 11, 2003, 10:33 PM
Milynda-

:::rummaging about in bedroom:::
Aha!
Found this year's San Jac Rule Book! Knew it would come in handy, thats why I left it conveniently under the bed...
Ah, yes, Lisa Ploth is Pres, her # is 936-321-2908. Anita Clark is in charge of Membership and points... Clarkie's number is 281-893-1039 at home, but she's been rather occupied lately so you might contact her at larry_d_clark@msn.com

Next show is at Magnolia Acres, with the jumpers going Saturday evening, Aug 23, and the hunters/equitation beginning bright and early Sunday morning. After that, we have Northwind Farm on September 7. Hope you can join us some, they're incredibly fun shows.

I see you're located in Bryan... check your PT's!!

Saw 'Em Off...

the eleven
Aug. 12, 2003, 01:45 PM

What about him?

-------------
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just remember seeing them winning a lot in the Childrens! I was rather intimidated when i went to watch a show and saw them clean up http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif hehe beautiful horse and she seems like a really good rider http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I will pass on your kind words http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Ali is my cousin and I have known the horse for ages- he belonged to one of my best friends before Ali got the ride.

-------------

SED
Aug. 12, 2003, 06:49 PM
Okay, so who is going to participate and/or audit Linda Allen, and which day? Check in so we can look for you! (Actually that's a stupid comment -- how would we know each other? -- but you never know, the crowd may not be that big).

I think several people from Fincastle will try to audit Saturday. Since we have Ernest Dillon doing a clinic at our barn on September 1, I don't think many people's budgets will afford two. So unfortunately we don't have participants. But we auditors will be there!