PDA

View Full Version : Kiefer Sutherland falls prey to cattle scam

tkhawk
Jan. 26, 2010, 06:32 PM
This really looked odd. Apparently he lost a three quarters of a million dollars to a guy claiming to buy cattle from Mexico and sell it here. I didn't realize that was such a big business?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_en_tv/us_people_kiefer_sutherland

STOCKTON, Calif. – Actor Kiefer Sutherland was among cattle customers roped into an alleged scam that netted more than a million dollars.

Prosecutors say Michael Wayne Carr of Linden had agreements to buy steers in Mexico for his customers and sell them for profit in the United States. Carr allegedly took $869,000 from Sutherland, star of the Fox TV show "24," and $177,000 from a New Mexico couple.

Prosecutors say there's no record Carr ever bought the steers.

They also say Carr sold steers that didn't belong to him.

Carr is charged with 12 felonies, including grand theft, forgery and embezzlement. He was scheduled to be arraigned Monday, but a judge postponed it to Feb. 8 after his attorney was removed.

If convicted on all charges, he faces 18 years in prison

SLW
Jan. 26, 2010, 07:05 PM
I don't think it is smart to steal from Jack Bauer...he has connections ya know. :cool: :D

Go Fish
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:07 PM
This scam has been around for quite some time.

Sheesh...who's dumb enough to invest in the cattle business these days? My parents got out years ago (beef) because it just got harder and harder to make a profit.

tle
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:50 PM
mmmmm.... uh... sorry... can't get my brain past the "Kiefer Sutherland" in the title. ;) Been a Kiefer fan for a lot of years. Can't help it.

Ajierene
Jan. 27, 2010, 12:08 AM
mmmmm.... uh... sorry... can't get my brain past the "Kiefer Sutherland" in the title. ;) Been a Kiefer fan for a lot of years. Can't help it.

I just keep reading "Kiefer Sutherland falls prey to cattle".

sk_pacer
Jan. 27, 2010, 02:00 AM
I just keep reading "Kiefer Sutherland falls prey to cattle".

I read it that way too. At any rate, one would think the grandson of a politician would be smarter than that :)

Cherry
Jan. 27, 2010, 10:46 PM
News flash! Jack Bauer is only a character in a TV show.... :winkgrin: ;)

At any rate, one would think the grandson of a politician would be smarter than that.
Hey, when it comes to losing money wealth and privilege mean nothing. Heck, Kevin Bacon and his wife lost a bundle to Bernie Madoff.... :eek:

All you have to do is trust the wrong person with your money and the race is on to see whether you can plug the bleeding soon enough to keep yourself from ending up penniless. :sigh:

That's what I like about being poor--I don't have to worry about anyone wanting to borrow money from me, crashing on an airplane, getting swept away in a tsunami or any of those various and sundry bad things that could happen from being in the wrong place at the wrong time....

paintjumper
Jan. 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
I'll bet it had something to do with roping stock. Sutherland is a team roper.
I love Jack on 24 and no.....he would be the last person on earth I would try to double cross!!!