PDA

View Full Version : Ever want to just 'run away?'

ayrabz
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:23 PM
SIGH! Stupid, hypothetical thread warning.
But, I'm curious...those with horse and trailer....have you ever just said "I need to load up, and get away'....go somewhere outside of your reality and obligations. NOT a planned, orchestrated trip...but the fantasy of: Head out to the barn, pack stuff in the trailer and get pony and go. Somewhere, away from any life drama, barn drama----just a go away.
I know the joy of being on the back of that horse you share everything with, being alone on a ride...but those rides end up back at the same spot you drove to, or started out with the same issues earlier.
Ever wanted (or have done?) a trip where you just WENT. Were somewhere different, just your horse and you.....and escaped?

minnie
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Desperately would love to run away! But would want to leave the horse behind! Let someone else worry for a bit.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:34 PM
Desperately would love to run away! But would want to leave the horse behind! Let someone else worry for a bit.

Ditto - If I ran away (temporarily of course) I'd leave the nags, the barn chores, and the mud behind!

MistyBlue
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
LOL...many days I agree with Minnie. I'd love to run away somewhere with room service, a view of a snowy mountain landscape, a fireplace and tons and tons of napping. No cleaning, no cooking, no mucking, no feeding 4x daily and sleeping in! :D
But...if I had a horse van and lived within a reasonable driving distance to a spectacular national park...I'd love to do that too! I could imagine a few days to a couple weeks of wandering aroound Yosemite or Alagnak Wild River or anywhere with very few people, spectacular views and wildlife, etc.
Or a cattle drive!

ayrabz
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:55 PM
Funny how life works...because I THOUGHT I was posting this on Off course.....and of 'course' (!) if its on the farm thread, the answers would be different!!!...(as in, with the obligations otherwise, in farm/horse care, of course folks would want to get away from those obligations once in awhile!)
But, perhaps, in life's round about 'see it this way' insights, it was good that I posted here instead.
I don't yet (!) own/maintain my own barn....thats in the cards for later, and will occur. But for now, I 'could' drive out, pack up, and vanish for awhile. I've just, in my low times, never had the gumption to do it. But do, and have, dreamed of it.
A spot with no one else....a spot with safe haven for my horse, but no homelife connections, NO one else to answer to ...a quiet, unscheduled time...no one to judge, no one to comment. Just me, my own truck and trailer, and my horse.

Jane Honda
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:58 PM
I would pack up the rig, the pony, and a tent and get the flock out of dodge!

But, I have had a huge hankering for some high desert air lately... Not that things are going bad at home, I just think it would be a great little weekend.

shea'smom
Jan. 25, 2010, 01:22 PM
I ran away last year for just an over nighter to take a couple of lessons in Southern Pines. Boy am I ready to do that again.
But the worst thing, last year I went to Disney for 6 entire days! I hadn't done anything like that since I was in High School, 30 years ago. BAd now, because I am dieing to do it again!

TKR
Jan. 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm with the "leave the horses/worries/chores behind" crowd. I'm pretty worn out with it -- a number of elderly animals and issues recently, *sigh*. Also, too much rain, sucky mud and just miserable conditions. I could go for a nice warm beach and a good book with a gourmet restaurant and wine bar close by. No phones and no schedules and no red flags.
PennyG

ayrabz
Jan. 25, 2010, 02:06 PM
no doubt...I can see your reasons, reflections of "not going with a horse!"..........but again...I obvioulsy posted this in the wrong spot.
Because I was more interested in those who HAD a desire to escape life WITH a horse...go somewhere just the two of you...with none of the OTHER aspects of life in the way. No difficult previous planning...no organized, 'meet another horse person there' situations...(I've had so many of those fall thru)
More of a 'arrive at the barn, load up, say you'll be back in a week' and disapeer kinda thing. A time alone, somewhere with a horse---with no obligations in life to anyone. No hubby, no horse friends, no job, ---just a run a way, with an equine friend....oblivious to all around you in life.

winfieldfarm
Jan. 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
unfortunately, my ponies are hot house flowers. To ask them to "camp out" would be such a culture shock to them that I wouldn't enjoy it.

I have daydreamed about sending said hothouse flowers out for their own "vacation" to a pack mule string up in the mountains for a season so they can learn to get over thyselves! I can stay home relaxing on my couch with some coco and a good book waiting for them to come home from camp. I'm thinking one of those "Vagrant Teen Back Country Boot Camps" for a couple of my nags!

shawneeAcres
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
I want to run away, but for a different reason! I am SICK AND TIRED of rain and MUD!!! It has been so awfully wet here, my driveway is ruined, my arena is under water, it is jsut horrible, I want to run away somewhere warm and DRY! And honestly somewhere that their are no hungry horses wanting me to feed them twice a day!

sisu27
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:36 PM
My horse is the only reason I don't run away! I have a lovely little island, way up north that is my favourite place on earth. It is off the grid and entirely self sufficient. I could live up there happily on Pike and blueberries. BUT....not horse friendly so that fantasy is usually fleeting. The dogs would love it though!

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
I want to run away someplace where we don't have mud up to our knees...the rain that just won't stop..and so on. My horse is pretty tired of the mud to. I gave him some cookies yesterday and he looked pretty miserable standing in the mud.

I was in just in Florida in December but spent it with in-laws. :eek::o:(

mvp
Jan. 26, 2010, 07:47 AM
Yes! And only with my good horse buddy.

I already know how to pack up and go to multiple day shows by myself, so I know the escape plan could be done.

In my "anywhere but here" moments, I imagine throwing a dart at the map of the US and going where it directed.

Then reality sets in. What if I "miss" and sign my horse up for 1,500 miles in a bumper pull trailer? What if, as I have discovered, "rural" doesn't automatically mean cheap board, ample T/O and also a high standard of care? I don't go into the other bit of reality-- making enough money in said podunk town to support my horse in the manner to which he has been accustomed.

But I like to hold onto the idea as a psychological escape hatch.

Bluey
Jan. 26, 2010, 08:18 AM
There have been times plowing, driving the tractor around and around and around in the field, the expressway within sight, cars and trucks whizzing by to who knows where, it was tempting to just park the silly thing and walk to the highway.

Once there, just thumb it somewhere, anywhere, where there were no responsabilities other than find the next meal and shelter and take long naps.

The truth is that we really can't escape our responsabilities, even if we run off.
They are stuck to us and will stay with us, no matter where we go.

shea'smom
Jan. 26, 2010, 08:31 AM
There are times, when I am riding around on the tractor, in the rain emptying the spreader, that I think, what a silly way for a grown woman to make a living.
And more snow this weekend. I could cry. I need a break.

kookicat
Jan. 26, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hell, yes! I came very close to booking a ticket to somewhere hot and sunny on Friday, and just saying to hell with it all. I'd had a fight with hubby, Asp had managed to split her rug from neck to hem, Rue refused to walk over the mud (that he's been stepping over every day for weeks now) and work was getting me down.

So yep- I even had my debit card out, looking at flights. Scared me how close I cam just to jacking it all.

pj
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:10 AM
no one to judge, no one to comment. Just me, my own truck and trailer, and my horse.

Forgot your dog!! You have to take your dog with you.

EqTrainer
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:01 AM
I want to run away, but for a different reason! I am SICK AND TIRED of rain and MUD!!! It has been so awfully wet here, my driveway is ruined, my arena is under water, it is jsut horrible, I want to run away somewhere warm and DRY! And honestly somewhere that their are no hungry horses wanting me to feed them twice a day!

You said it, sister!

merrygoround
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:10 AM
"Ever want to run away?"

:sigh: Every morning at 5am.

DiablosHalo
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:12 AM

I third this!!!!!

OP- I agree- you would get a totally different set of replies if posted off course! We all worry about our farm chores. Can't fathom getting away bc who can you trust (that is as crazy as we are to do all this work every day) to do the work? Most of us have the funds to get away- but can't leave IT behind! :(

katarine
Jan. 26, 2010, 12:04 PM
oh hell that's what round bales and float valves are for. And autofeeders for dogs, and outside cats. The horses live out 24/7 and if the weather's nasty enough I'm not leaving anyway.

I have horses at home, and dogs, and cats. My trailer has enough food for several days in it- sure it might be beans for breakfast, but it's there LOL. I guess I'm saying that we can and have taken off pretty easily fairly routinely, too.

We all choose our own poison and where there's a will, there is often a way.

millerra
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:38 PM
This is why I go to horse shows!

Just me and my pony... and of course horse buddies at the show - and adult beverages.

Kids, chores, water tanks,mowing, baling hay, etc. all blissfully left behind. I go to horse shows to get a good night's sleep; and to only worry about silly things like my dressage test and the cross country course and what studs to put in.

Those who think its about ribbons and prestige and stress. HA Ha Ha. You're totally missin' the point of horse shows! (IMHO of course)

Unfortunately, the first horse show is 5 months away and its 15 degrees out and icy. So, I'm surfin COTH and day dreaming while the sick kid (104 temp) sleeps off his ibuprofen....

Duramax
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:21 PM
I could cry. I need a break.

haha, I feel your pain! :yes: I did cry the other day. I was cleaning stalls and was having to strip them b/c they had flooded with the huge amounts of rain we had gotten. By the time I got to the fourth one (having to take 5 loads out of each and slogging through the mud to the manure pile) I put the pitchfork down, rested my elbows on the window sill and sobbed. I felt better after! :lol:

Beethoven
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
BUT I would leave the horses. When your job is to care for the pretty much 24/7 than when I run away I will not take them. Well maybe my 19 yr old as he is my baby and has manners and is not young and stupid or green nor does he try to kill me on a regular basis.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
Run away sounds like a really good idea about this time of year. :yes:

Sure, my mud is frozen now, but as soon as we get some temps over 32F that will be a pipedream.
I should have calves that equal Arnold Schwarzenegger's!
But is God fair?
No, She is not :no:
I have OldLady Cankles...& I'm bitter :mad:

Running away with a horse sounds fine as long as it includes a driver for my D-Luxe LQ trailer that I will purchase with my lottery winnings.
Where I will sit with Adult Beverage in hand, visiting with horse over the LQ to HQ door....
Until we arrive in FL...the WARM & SUNNY part of FL...

suz
Jan. 28, 2010, 12:36 AM
mistyblue, you can come on over and stay in the guest room for a bit--we'll take good care of you!
as for me, i make sure i get away often enough on camping/riding trips to make me happy. but sometimes i long for a long weekend of retail therapy and fine dining---like dh and i used to do back when we had money and he had good health. if he has a successful bone marrow transplant and the finances start to look better, we've promised each other we'll do exactly that!

Bluey
Jan. 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
I read this a few days ago and it fits in this conversation here:

"Enjoy life now, because life has an expiration date.":yes:

MistyBlue
Jan. 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
haha, I feel your pain! :yes: I did cry the other day. I was cleaning stalls and was having to strip them b/c they had flooded with the huge amounts of rain we had gotten. By the time I got to the fourth one (having to take 5 loads out of each and slogging through the mud to the manure pile) I put the pitchfork down, rested my elbows on the window sill and sobbed. I felt better after!

I'm not a person who cries...but I'm pretty sure this would have had me in tears too. Talk about frustrating! My barn flooded once from a stupidly placed water pipe that broke. *Right* after I had completely rebedded both stalls...and since I use pelleted bedding they only get stripped once in a very rare while. They don't need stripping usually and starting from scratch it expensive because I bed deep. Walked into the barn to both horses standing in watery stalls...and $84 worth of ruined new bedding floating all over. :o I'm pretty sure between the labor to clean that, fixing the pipes and tossing out that much money I had some tears rolling down my face.

Suz...don't be too surprised if you answer your door and there's a short woman standing there in her jammies, holding her favorite pillow expecting to nap in your guest room for a few days. :lol: Oh how nice that would be. I wouldn't even have my dog dropping his ball on my chest hoping to play while I sleep or my cat sprawled all over me. *sigh* Heaven!
Not sure I'd do retail therapy unless the retail is shopping for stuff to redecorate my home or in a restaurant supply store. I'm a sucker for stuff for the house or kitchen. Other than that I hate shopping. I'd take shopping for new counter tops or cabinets or shower tile over clothes any day. :yes:
Well, maybe jewelry shopping. I adore sparklies...but have no opportunity to wear it and farm work has given me man-hands anyways, LMAO!
When is your DH's transplant? Is that coming up soon?

equineartworks
Jan. 28, 2010, 08:47 AM
The other day was just ugly. I was never closer to throwing in the towel :lol: Let's just say that I had the mud suck happen so often I was ready to go barefoot and that Katie will never, ever, be blanketed again. :lol:

ayrabz
Jan. 28, 2010, 08:50 AM
ahh...the dream of the luxury LQ...yeah...I could get behind THAT one!
As far as horseshows...y'know, I'm sure thats a big part of my ache for such a getaway..as in, I was an involved show mom who LOVED showing with my daughter. It was wonderful for me to get away, do something fun with the horse and my daughter...stay in hotels, be on the showgrounds all day, late, eat out, etc, etc. Tough to budget for, but soooo fulfilling for 'getaways'. Now, she's been at school 3 years (will finish her junior year this summer) and all that I've been missing. But (!) not enough to show him myself. I loved the showing, but as the trainer/handler/mom....not interested in the stress of the show ring itself!
Anyway...one thing I have always found myself doing, is cruising the internet looking at 'horse' getaway places---and yeah, I do it in a 'dream big' kinda way....y'know, your own luxury cabin, hot tub on the deck, nice fireplace, attached paddock/turn out/barn...ride out trails, indoor, outdoor....privacy....
they're out there! But cha-ching! I'll probably keep looking at them for my fun, but doubt I'll actually chunk down the cash and go.

Bluesy
Jan. 29, 2010, 12:34 AM
SIGH! Stupid,
Ever wanted (or have done?) a trip where you just WENT. Were somewhere different, just your horse and you.....and escaped?

Yes! I've even thought about doing this while on trail rides....Let's keep going Bluesy, and find out where we're a-going. But then Bluesy and I turn back to the barn and everyday life. (It doesn't help when it's chilly out ;))

Someday we'll do a trailer ride somewhere and just ...go ....somewhere. For awhile.

rideagoldenpony
Jan. 29, 2010, 06:30 PM
I threaten to run away from home from time to time, but my husband always reminds me that the mares will foal eventually, and I would HAVE to know what they had and I'd never trust anyone else to foal them out -- so I'd be back.

He knows me pretty well.

But there are times when it sounds awfully tempting.

shalomypony
Jan. 29, 2010, 08:10 PM
YES,YES,YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!I need to run away!!On my birthday Nov 3 my horse of a lifetime died,37yrs old,then three wks later my Mom broke her hip so I had to move in and take care of her,then a few wks later my dog had to be put down...in three wks my hubby is getting some surgery and he'll need me to take care of him.Four moonths of hell.............I want to run away.