PDA

View Full Version : fencing for minis?

asterix
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:27 AM
A friend is potentially adding a mini to her small boarding farm...which has typical 3-board fencing around the pastures and paddocks.
The mini in question is pretty, um, mini -- is this fencing going to do the trick, or is there something additional she would need to add?
TIA!

SLW
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
A typical 3 board fence is probably not going to contain a mini. Options include lining the inside of a paddock with field fence/woven wire or some strong fabric to cover up escapes. Maaaaybe one strand of hot wire between the ground and first board would work, maaaybe.

That also serves another purpose- to keep trouble makers out of the mini's paddock- such as dogs.

My mini's paddock is fenced with cattle panels (on the side they share with the big horses) and miniature sized pipe panels.

dmalbone
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:48 AM
Oh my goodness. My minis are such escape artists. If it tells you anything, they have a 4-rail wood fence, but it's only probably 3 1/2 feet tall. So the rails are really close together and close to the ground (closer than I would put with a big horse for fear of getting a leg stuck). We had 3 rail with the same height and had TWO get out. They're ornery that's for sure. They were rubbing along the fence and "walking" themselves down to the ground. They'd get to a big enough opening and just... plop... they were laying on the other side. We need to add a hotwire, but I would say for minis it's a MUST in my opinion just to keep them off of it.

asterix
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:40 PM
thanks!!

pharmgirl
Jan. 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
asterix- have you looked at what kind of fencing the pasture has next to Brookeville Animal Hospital? (the one right near 650 and 97) I believe they have two minis in their herd over there.

RU2U
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
What I was told is the minis actually fall out of the normal 4 rail pasture. Somehow the world tilts and poof they are on the other side. The five strand electric is not broken the fence is not down, somehow they are just on the wrong side. Something to keep in mind is with electric wire their coats can get so long that it insulates them from electric and makes its so they don't get zapped. I love ponies!

SLW
Jan. 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
What I was told is the minis actually fall out of the normal 4 rail pasture. Somehow the world tilts and poof they are on the other side. The five strand electric is not broken the fence is not down, somehow they are just on the wrong side. Something to keep in mind is with electric wire their coats can get so long that it insulates them from electric and makes its so they don't get zapped. I love ponies!

ROTFLMAO!! Terrific explanation! :D :)

The only time either of mine have scaled a fence was 4 years ago when my 32" mini was in the spring of his 2 year old year. One of my QTR mares was in season and grazing in the paddock beside the mini's paddock....she backed up to the fence and carried on.

On the third attempt (yes, I was standing there watching the show) he got stuck on top of the 3'6" fence, teetered to and fro them, wham, found himself standing beside the mare with no barrier. :cool: I took him to work the next day and he was castrated. :p :sleepy:

asterix
Jan. 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
while this thread is making me glad it is not MY farm the mini will be living on :lol:, it is very helpful....

dmalbone
Jan. 26, 2010, 01:28 PM

LOL, yep, I thought the same thing until I saw mine do the scratching their back/butt and walk themselves down the fence only to stand up on the other side. It was funny. The look on her face was even more priceless. She looked around like "where the hell am I and how did this happen?!?!", stood frozen for a few seconds where I was holding my breath hoping she wasn't going to make a bee-line for the busy road 200 ft. away, then just started grazing.

DiablosHalo
Jan. 26, 2010, 01:57 PM
I have 4 rail (5.25") flex fence. Worst mini fence ever! My shetland (though not a mini- but 2yo and still lil!) pops right through it to get into the big field with the geldings (which are 16h, 16.1h and 17h!). The electric wire is too high for him to get zapped on. The geldings love him and he loves to play with them- so now I just put him out with them. I'm at my wits end hoping he doesn't ever want out of that field- which is on the road. ugh.

dawglover
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:27 PM
My minis haven't yet managed to get through my 3 rail vinyl (although they do stick their heads through and graze the other side...great little weedwhackers :lol: ) but they have been known to walk right through the 4 strands of Electrobraid if I forget to turn it on or if we've had an extended dry spell.

However, with all the rain we've had this winter, the Electro Braid is giving off tremendous shocks :eek: and they haven't escaped lately.

AWorkinProgress
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:38 PM
My mini walks through my three strand Electrobraid even when it's on. She has a super thick winter coat, I guess it's insulating her enough to avoid the shock. Either that or she doesn't care! She's currently living in my chicken run until we can run two more strands of Electrobraid. So far, the chicken wire seems to be keeping her in.

Murphy's Mom
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:41 PM
Make sure to tie the BOTTOM of the gate shut too. My 32" mini will push at the bottom of the gate and crawl out, but the bigger mini is too big. I've got mine living in my round pen (panels). I'm in the process of adding chicken wire to the bottom of the fencing in one paddock so they can go there. I have another paddock that is fenced with more expensive horse fencing (2x4 openings), but my escape artist WB lives in that one and she hates the minis.

camohn
Jan. 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
A friend is potentially adding a mini to her small boarding farm...which has typical 3-board fencing around the pastures and paddocks.
The mini in question is pretty, um, mini -- is this fencing going to do the trick, or is there something additional she would need to add?
TIA!

Yup, they can crawl through standard 3 board! We had it with the constant mini escapee. We tried hot tape along the bottom. He didn't care....plowed through that too. Need mesh fence............we were not refencing for Mr. Mini so he had to find a new home.

ljc
Jan. 28, 2010, 01:44 AM
My minis "beam" themselves through fences and stall gates. I can think of no other explanation! I have five-rail pipe corral fencing (for all the big horses I have) lined with woven wire on the bottom three rails (on the mini's paddock/field). I had worried about them catching their hoofs on the wire if it went down to the ground, so stopped the wire at bottom rail. What was I thinking???? It took them about 48 hours to crawl underneath. Added a sixth rail below the bottom rail - they STILL crawled under (I measured - it was 14 inches tall.) Lowered that extra rail so it was about five inches from the ground.Then they kept getting their hooves stuck. Put the wire all the way to the ground and so far that's working.

Oh, and forget the electic tape I use to set up temporary barriers. They walk right through it, under it, around it, over it.

Bottom line - they spend 24 hours day figuring out how to escape. I think they also have the ability to make themselves invisible so they sneak out gates when no one knows they are there!

ayrabz
Jan. 28, 2010, 07:50 AM
Ugh. You guys are scaring me.:no:!!!
Making up my mind on a type of fencing was just about the most time consuming project I've ever undertaken!!! I finally opted to go with 3 rails of flex fence....one strand of hot coat on the top...one strand of hot coat above the bottom rail.

I do NOT own a mini, but this is a small acreage property...and I knew once 'moving' my (now boarded) horse there permanently, a mini would most likely be my choice of companion..................so, even though my fencer was confused (!) as to my request for that second run of hot coat, I thought I'd done all my homework, and chosen the correct situation for both now and later once a mini chum was added.

Now, your stories sound as if this won't be sufficient. ?

equineartworks
Jan. 28, 2010, 08:52 AM
I can't remember who said it...I think it was Thomas_1 but:

Minis are short and therefore closer to hell.

They are evil alien satan beings who are capable of maddening behavior. There is nothing that can contain mini satan. To try will only drive you into maddness.

I loves me my ponies :winkgrin: :lol: :cool:

SLW
Jan. 28, 2010, 09:25 AM

Minis are short and therefore closer to hell. :winkgrin: :lol: :cool:

Oh gosh, I need a new computer screen!!!! Priceless....and correct. Love both of mine. :D

dmalbone
Jan. 28, 2010, 12:06 PM

Minis are short and therefore closer to hell.

They are evil alien satan beings who are capable of maddening behavior. There is nothing that can contain mini satan. To try will only drive you into maddness.

I loves me my ponies :winkgrin: :lol: :cool:

Oh.my.goodness. That is just HILARIOUS. ... and so true.

topcterv
Jan. 31, 2010, 03:40 PM
oh my... my mini is an angel.. knock on wood is always where she should be, easy to catch and behaves quite nicely... i will be more thankful for her after hearing all this... never knew differently although my vet did mention she was the best he has ever worked on...:)

equineartworks
Feb. 1, 2010, 08:39 PM
topcterv, mine are gems. They have that mischievous mini-ness but as a rule they are super wonderful.

But oooo....can minis be devils!