PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for Horse Trailer - Recommendations?

Vandy
Jan. 24, 2010, 11:45 PM
Recommendations? I got coverage from Progressive for the short run (picking up new trailer tomorrow) but wondering if more farm-oriented companies vs auto carriers offer better rates/better coverage?

shortbusgeek
Jan. 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
We went through Goetz Insurors - http://www.goetzinsurors.com - for our trailer insurance. We use it for business use and also had to insure the pulling vehicle through them as well. We also have general liability insurance through them. Give Tracy Parachini a call over there, and tell her David with Pony Tail Acres in Georgia referred you. I'm sure she'll be happy to give you a quote. :-)

jenm
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:50 PM
I went through this gal who was also recommended to me. She was courteous and prompt with outstanding communication:

Karen E. Rayburn
Quality Equine Insurance

PO Box 339
Peculiar, MO 64078
800-581-7020

www.qualityequineinsurance.com

www.horsetrailerinsurance.com

karen@qualityequineinsurance.com

tabula rashah
Jan. 25, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have Progressive for my trailer and also have it for my 2 vehicles. Full coverage on my trailer is $18/ month. Seems quite reasonable to me.

shortbusgeek
Jan. 25, 2010, 05:38 PM
I have Progressive for my trailer and also have it for my 2 vehicles. Full coverage on my trailer is $18/ month. Seems quite reasonable to me.

:eek: What kind of trailer do you have? They quoted me more than 10 times that amount!

Haf N Haf
Jan. 25, 2010, 06:43 PM
I have a 2008 Hawk (bought it new) 2 Horse Bumper Pull with lots of customizations. My policy through State Farm runs me $90 every 6 months. This is with a $0 deductible for both collision and comprehensive.

I had a 2007 Hawk that I lost in a flood in 2008. They paid the whole thing, no deductibles, nothing out of my pocket.

Could not be happier with State Farm.

nadasy
Jan. 25, 2010, 06:55 PM
I also just switched from Travelers to SFI, and Love State Farm. I have my Exiss-300 GN, my truck, and my farm with them. I saved so much money having all my policies with one company and in my area, instead of two companies in different counties.

tabula rashah
Jan. 25, 2010, 07:04 PM
:eek: What kind of trailer do you have? They quoted me more than 10 times that amount!

I have an Exiss 3 horse GN w/ minimal LQ. The insurance cost has gone down when I got it- but it only started out around $25/ month when I bought the trailer brand new

foggybok
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:54 PM

My state farm is only 80/year for full coverage on my new Kieffer 2+1, but that's on top of my 3 auto policies

paintlady
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
My trailer policy is through GEICO - same as our three vehicles. I pay $65/year for comprehensive and collision insurance ($500 deductible) on my 2005 Hawk trailer.

KSAQHA
Jan. 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
We have home/farm/car insurance through Farm Bureau. My 2005 Titan 3H GN slant has collision and comprehensive coverage for $59.00, annually.

Vandy
Jan. 27, 2010, 12:57 PM
I have an Exiss 3 horse GN w/ minimal LQ. The insurance cost has gone down when I got it- but it only started out around $25/ month when I bought the trailer brand newWow...I am guessing your trailer's book value is probably higher than mine (older 6-horse w/small LQ) and I am paying $65/mo with Progressive, which seems quite high to me. I also have a truck and a car covered by Progressive. Good driving record, except for one speeding ticket which I've been told increases my rate by $15 and will drop of in 2 months...

Anyone with a similar trailer to mine have an opinion on the $65 rate (which will soon be $50)? Full coverage w $500 deductible. I don't have a lot of time to shop around if I don't stand to save much...

grinanride
Jan. 28, 2010, 07:55 AM
$780 yr is VERY HIGH - maybe shop your auto ins with Geico, Sfarm, Allstate or others that will then add your trailer which would need comp & collision only - if you could save $600 year on the trailer it would probably be a wise thing to shop the auto
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers.com
BalancedRideTrailers.com

Vandy
Jan. 29, 2010, 12:13 AM
$780!!! Unless your trailer is worth $150k for sticker priceI only wish! If I could afford a $150K trailer, I probably wouldn't stress over $50 extra/month :lol: It's valued in the $20K range.

I will definitely look into other coverage, thanks all for the contacts on this thread.

atlatl
Jan. 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
USAA charges me less than $100 a year for a 2005 Sundowner 777. 2 horse straight load with dressing room in So.Cal, $300/year to insure an 05 Airstream and $800/year for an 09 BMW. Granted we have a total of 5 vehicles insured with them, but as noted, $780 for a horse trailer is way out there. Both the Airstream and the bimmer are valued at significantly more than $20K.

The deductible really affects the rate; I carry a $500 deductible on everything.

pokesaladannie
Jan. 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
Rodawn - I am also in the Great White North and my premiums for a 2004 2H Gn (sundowner) are $450.00 a year. Please tell me who you are insured with.

My 2010 new loaded truck is only $1000.00 - I don't get it!? My broker shopped around and only found higher prices. Yikes.

Vandy
Jan. 30, 2010, 01:45 AM
Wow, my entire farm insurance with full replacement value for barn and house and contents, all equipment including tractors, plus stored hay/straw loss replacement, our car, our truck and our Trails West 2 + foal angle-haul trailer all costs less than $450 all together (Canadian) per year. Rodawn, I am guessing by your last post that you meant $450 per month, right? Darn, after reading your first post, I was strongly considering moving to Canada :lol:

vtdobes
Jan. 31, 2010, 12:02 PM
I have an 06 Trail-Et GN-2 horse slant and pay around $20/month through Allstate (also have car, truck & house all with them).
They also don't care that I own a Doberman!!! YAY Allstate!