PDA

View Full Version : My adventures in mud

Alagirl
Jan. 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
or
If you get your van stuck in the front yard, you just might be....

dunno, dumb? :lol:

Last night, early morning we had some rain, and I mean SOME RAIN! And pretty good kicking wind to go with it.

We had that before, right, nothing to worry, right...

Well, wrong.

I have a basketball goal in the drive, held up by a 4" steel pipe. A little while ago I noticed how the bottom had rusted away and I realized the little sway. pulling it back, away from the drive didn't work, there was still some of the 1/4 steel left.

Well, some time this morning, the goal gave way, and came to rest behind my van.

So in anticipation, I decided to move the van - no first I tried to move the goal, but it's still connected and just too heavy.

I ease forward, slide backward, you get the drift., untill I hit the front yard.

There I realize the van has rear wheel drive (no surprise) and the crappy dirt has drained less than expected (big surprise)

I ease back, try to ease forward - also slightly uphill - nothing.

Trying again - nada.

I try kitty litter (:lol: yeah right....) and hear my kid from the back 'WOW, MOM, you shot dirt ALL THE WAY TO THE HOUSE!!!)

Aight, not working, same with some big flat rocks.

So I finally give up, pull the floor mats out...touch and go, but we MADE IT!! :yes::eek::)

leaving 2 huge ditches in the 'lawn' and the van looks like it has been offroading...

Should've waited a bit I suppose...but you never know when you need that car. :yes: (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!)

ReSomething
Jan. 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
My yard is like a sponge, and I don't think it is going to dry out anytime soon. Last week DH went out with the flatbed trailer to pick up stock panels. In order to turn around at the top of the driveway he has to turn hard onto the grass and get straight. Well, now we have a lovely trench in the grass. And it was drier then. I can barely walk to the house, my stepping stones are sinking.
At least you made it out without a tow!

Bluey
Jan. 24, 2010, 06:57 PM
I wonder why people have to move when it is too wet?

My neighbor can't stand it when it rains, he has to go right afterwards to see how much and almost gets stuck every time.
I think I will give him an electronic, long distance rain gauge for Christmas next year.;)

Not that we get that much rain here anyway, that waiting a little would not dry things out right off.:lol:

Alagirl
Jan. 24, 2010, 09:48 PM
to my defense, when Hubby comes home his truck goes next to the van and I could not move it afterwards, the dumb pole fell being the vehicle. I suppose I should be glad I pulled up as far as I did..

But then again...I did not go anywhere, and when hubby is home, I drive the truck anyhow. :)

but I prefer my cars unblocked...;)

I am amazed though, the house sits on top of a hill, and from my digging adventures, I thought we had almost all sand....

crosscreeksh
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:11 PM
You must live in MY neighborhood. Black gooey muck....EVERYWHERE!!!

winfieldfarm
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:01 PM
hey get some cinders instead of salt! or some sand or a small load of limestone screenings.
It won't melt the ice but it give surface traction and won't harm your grass or the horse's hooves like salt can.

Alagirl
Jan. 27, 2010, 08:50 AM
darnit....I didn't take a picture of the downed goal...:mad:

oh well....

x-rab
Jan. 27, 2010, 03:32 PM
Use a high urea count fertilizer. It melts the ice, gives you traction and doesn't kill the plants. If you are lucky, it will make thing grow better.
M

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 27, 2010, 03:46 PM
I wonder if the urine soaked pelleted bedding would work well as a de-icer/traction aide? Especially if Urea works, isn't that what is in the urine? I can't test it, we don't get ice in Florida, and at least at my farm, no mud either, the soil is so sandy it drains at an incredible rate.

Tobias
Jan. 27, 2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds like fun!!!!! I love rain and mud! but I don;t get it much so I really appreciate it when it does come.

At least the basketball hoop missed your van. when we lived in Ohio we got some really strong winds that blew over our hoop, the rim hit our wind shield and shattered it! :eek: yea not fun!
I am glad that nothing was damaged.

Alagirl
Jan. 27, 2010, 05:34 PM
Sounds like fun!!!!! I love rain and mud! but I don;t get it much so I really appreciate it when it does come.

At least the basketball hoop missed your van. when we lived in Ohio we got some really strong winds that blew over our hoop, the rim hit our wind shield and shattered it! :eek: yea not fun!
I am glad that nothing was damaged.

yep, it would have pretty much been a total loss, the van is that old.

The pellets should work, one barn I took lessons at threw shavings on the ramp that led up to the barn.

JSwan
Jan. 27, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hey you're not alone.

I unloaded a round bale today. The redneck way. Put the tailgate down and drove off.

Well, the roundbale came off all right, but that big truck is stuck right outside the gate.

And, being stupid, I didn't stop and say to myself, "Self, just come out early tomorrow morning and the ground will have frozen enough that the truck will drive right out."

Nope. Had to keep trying.

It's still down there. It's so stuck I'm thinking that it might be easier to just plant vines around the darn thing and go out and buy a new truck.

Is it spring yet?

Alagirl
Jan. 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hey you're not alone.

I unloaded a round bale today. The redneck way. Put the tailgate down and drove off.

Well, the roundbale came off all right, but that big truck is stuck right outside the gate.

And, being stupid, I didn't stop and say to myself, "Self, just come out early tomorrow morning and the ground will have frozen enough that the truck will drive right out."

Nope. Had to keep trying.

It's still down there. It's so stuck I'm thinking that it might be easier to just plant vines around the darn thing and go out and buy a new truck.

Is it spring yet?

ROFLMAO!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

if you consider planting vines around your truck rather than moving it....:winkgrin:

allpurpose
Jan. 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hey you're not alone.

:lol::lol::lol: I laughed so loud I woke up the dogs! Hilarious!

wateryglen
Jan. 27, 2010, 11:25 PM
Hey JSwan!! 2 words for ya!!!
HAY SPEAR!!! :winkgrin: :rolleyes:

For traction? I use ashes from my wood stove. Melts ice/snow somehow too. Also have used wet shavings/manure (before it becomes golfballs I mean) along horsies walkways.

I can't deal with the deep footprints that freeze and become impassable! All my horses are draft crosses & are "fluffy" so they make DEEP impressions in the heavy traffic areas! Sometimes my booted foot goes down into one and comes back up bootless! Geez, I hate when that happens! The good news is that the boots will always slurp back up to the surface in the spring so I can collect them! Kinda like the rocks!