PDA

View Full Version : Farm Trucks, Mud, and Wondering the Rough Price of a Truckload of Driveway Gravel

dressagetraks
Jan. 24, 2010, 04:27 PM
What have you paid for a truck of gravel? This is moving up my list of priorities for the farm. I'm going to have to make a side extension off the driveway to park in. Meant to eventually, anyway, but it's getting more urgent.

One of my brothers took over Mom's trailer behind my house (he is now paying me rent, at least), and he parks to the side of my driveway, leaving me the driveway for my farm truck and car. We're having a championship mud spell at the moment, and for some reason, he tried pulling forward this morning to do a full loop around the front yard and return to the driveway instead of just backing from his spot the few feet onto the driveway. :confused: He said his spot is rather soft at the moment, which is it, but I fail to see how anybody could think getting off well into the even softer yard would improve things. He sank his car clear to the frame in my front yard.

Coleridge, my good old farm truck (379,000 miles, original engine), added to his many stars this afternoon when without a single hesitation at any point, he went through the yard around the car to the rear (car was sunk so severely that we literally could not hook a tow rope in front for the shorter straight pull to the driveway), pulled the car back 10 feet, went back around it to the front, and pulled it on out. I love my truck. :yes::cool:

Anyway, I'm going to have to do something here. I do need the driveway myself, but I really don't want my yard cut up into ruts, either. And this IS something I was going to do anyway, for myself and not just my brother. It's only being bumped up the list.

Everybody give your good old farm trucks a pat this afternoon. And if you have younger brothers who have claimjumped other places on your property, remind them that the shortest route to firm ground is almost always better than a wetter route many times longer. :sigh: He was definitely sheepish about this and did thank me and the truck, though.

Bluey
Jan. 24, 2010, 04:34 PM
Here, a clam shell, belly dump big full load of clean, excellent driveway gravel runs about $250, comes from some 30 miles away at least.

For the conditions you are talking, mud without bottom, you may consider using road base first, then geotextile fabric topped then with 4"of gravel.
It will take much less gravel that way.:)

SaddleFitterVA
Jan. 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
It depends on where you are in relation to the quarry and how big of a dump truck you want delivered.

There is one quarry that seems to have a non-contractor rate that is $5/ton higher than another quarry's delivered price.

Having given all those qualifiers, it costs me, in Northern VA, 25 miles from a quarry, about $300 for an 18-20 ton truckload of gravel. That is a surprisingly small amount of gravel.

goodhors
Jan. 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
Along with laying the fabric FIRST, consider crushed cement or asphault instead of gravel for fill.

You need to call the source of gravel, or the other two fills, ask prices. I am thinking you will get WAY more of the crushed cement or asphault because they don't hold the water like gravel will. We may have the frost laws kicking in here if the rain continues, to protect our roads from heavy loads. Same dirt amount, yards, will be lots heavier wet.

We have put down the crushed, reused asphault for parking our semi truck on. Sure makes a good surface. Price was good as well. Other folks have used the crushed cement, say it works like limestone for them, just was cheaper because we have to import limestone we use. Both these materials tend to lock together better, for a firm surface. Not easily washed out, drain fast.

Next would be to ask HOW MUCH can you get into one delivery? Not sure of size of your driveway, but the BIG dump truck and the dump trailer (pup) could haul a lot of dirt. Question then is can the big truck with trailer, get up into to your driveway and dump the load. Some folks are forced to order more loads, because the only truck that fits is small. So you pay more for multiple deliveries.

But if work is well planned, fabric laid, the delivery driver SHOULD be able to start at your inside end of driveway, spread the whole load the length for you. Big savings on work and time. Consider a parking pad for the several vehicles when you add the new material. Perhaps then less likely to get stuck, need pulling out for any visitors.

To me, a yard of dirt is not much just looking at it. But thinking of the pile of dirt a gravel train (big truck and pup) brings, maybe one load would fix the drive. 40 yards of fill, is what we get for sawdust bedding. 10ft wide,
20ft long, and about 5ft high, roughly. Spread out 4-6 inches deep in a
width of a dump truck, along the whole drive, would go along for a while!

Get prices from more than one place. Things might be slow, so they will give a rate to keep the guys working.

Arado*TB
Jan. 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
We just priced a load @ $450 for 24 tons[delivered] . I feel your pain. I am so ready for things to dry out.

stoicfish
Jan. 24, 2010, 07:57 PM
Very much depends on your area and availability.
I do not know where you live or your soil type but putting straight gravel on top of cloth will not create a good base, just temporarily cover up the issue. If you have mostly sand texture (or heavy peat or organics) then that is one case where the cloth will help. Then you want to put large gravel (1 1/2 to 2 inch) that is crushed (flat surfaces) and mixed with clay. You will need at least a 8 inch lift (or more) otherwise the instability of the material below will still affect your road.
If you have a clay base, you want to add sand with a fractured gravel (the larger the better). That will pact in and supply a good base. You can put smaller stuff on top after.
Putting smaller, round gravel down on or off cloth provides no compaction that is needed for bearing weight. Compaction is the key here!

Bluey
Jan. 24, 2010, 08:11 PM
Road base here is crushed caliche, that is clay with crushed limestone, that you can get about free at the city dump, for the cost of hauling.:yes:

The same for fly ash, that is the waste material from the electric coal fired plant and also works well for road base.

Both of those need to be topped with driveway gravel to be firm in wet conditions and they last longer if separated by fabric, that is really cheap.

shortbusgeek
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
I recently priced a couple of different materials around here... the average I was able to find was $175 to $225 for 18 tons of crusher run and $300 to $350 for 18 tons of M10.

LAZ
Jan. 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
Gravel to keep the mud at bay=priceless.

I hate mud.

mjrtango93
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:02 PM
We get crushed asphalt delivered for free around us. Basically the BO just goes to wherever our state Caltrans workers are re-doing roads and asks for the grindings. They are typically so happy to have a place to send it they don't have to pay for that we get as much as we want. We have 5 trucks worth just sitting off the side of the road because we ran out of things to do with it right now. Now they come to us and ask if we want any, so pretty much a never ending supply, they will even grind it however we want.

tabula rashah
Jan. 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
The last load we had of crusher run was $300 for 22 ton. Don't put your gravel down on straight mud- its got to have some base or it will just disappear over time- ask me how I know this:mad:

dressagetraks
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I wouldn't have thought about base and all, but better to do it right than do it over.

I have also contacted my state Department of Transportation to see if they ever donate leftover roads to citizens. :) I liked the sound of free(ish). :yes:

foggybok
Jan. 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
Our quarry will deliver for 100$/hr, so depends on how far you are. They were charging 13/yard for 1 1/4 clean for the driveway. We just got two loads and a whole bunch more 5/8 minus for the paddocks.....

So you need to figure how many yards you need and contact you nearest quarry for rates...

Good luck!

I LOVE my new gravel!!!

Oh and the delivery guy almost buried and flipped the gravel truck in our driveway.....:eek::no:

hb
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
If you bring in gravel now it will just sink into the mud. Wait it out until it's drier. We pay about $250 for a 12 yard dump truck full.

CoolMeadows
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:10 PM
It's $16.30/ton here not including delivery. I'm only 1.5 miles from the quarry though. Definitely don't put it down while it's muddy! You'll never see it again.

Hey mjrtango, do you mean she just drives up to guys working on roads? I put an add out for asphalt millings wanted but it got no replies. I'd really like to try them. Our ground's so saturated and we've had so much flooding that I even have mud on hilltops.