PDA

View Full Version : Sell her or keep her?



Ozalynda
Jan. 24, 2010, 02:48 PM
I have a homebred filly coming on three. I am in a quandry about whether to keep her for my own competitive endurance horse or to sell her to another would like her as an endurance horse.

Here you can see pictures of the filly:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62017689@N00/sets/72157623275656656/

Temperament wise she is very brave and forward, and can be a bit of an opinionated b**tch, but we get along quite well and she is easy to work with. She is radiographed free of OCD and has no leg issues at all.

What do you see when you look at the pictures? Does this look like a filly who could develop into an athlete?

Lieselotte
Jan. 24, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am not expert enough to comment on her conformation but I can tell you that you should wait a few years until you start serious endurance.
First of all, most official rides won't even let you participate with such a young horse (they have to be at least 5 years to do a 50-miler, and four to do limited distance.)
But more importantly, you want your horse to develop strong bones before you start a serious conditioning program.
So take it easy, give her lots of turnout time, do some dressage and arena work, go on shorter trailrides to get her used to that environment, and in general, make sure she becomes a mentally and physically fit horse before starting out with this demanding discipline.
You will have a longer partnership if you take it slow and easy. If you are serious about the sport but new to it and don't want to wait a few years for her "to grow up", sell her and buy an experienced Arabian (or Arabian cross) and learn everything you can first before starting a new horse.

AnotherRound
Jan. 24, 2010, 06:56 PM
I don't understand what your quandry is, OP? Why would no not keep her?

Ozalynda
Jan. 25, 2010, 12:23 AM
Lieselotte: Don't worry, I hadn't even planned to start breaking her until next fall at the earliest. She is still quite immature. She isn't my first endurance horse but she would be my first homebred.

AnotherRound: Quandry arises because I have a live buyer at $9000 for her and my husband would like to see some income to counter expenses :)

I have a two year old colt I am importing from the US, but I haven't seen him in the flesh yet so it is hard to judge who is the more promising endurance prospect. I will put a photo of him in along with the photos of the filly and welcome comments.

2enduraceriders
Jan. 25, 2010, 08:27 AM
I like the looks of her. What I am not seeing that I would like is more tone and balance in her. I am assuming she does not have any other young horses to run and play with. This makes a world of difference in a horse.

Minerva Louise
Jan. 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
I looked at the colt and your filly. If I had to choose, I would take the colt as my first choice. Keeping in mind that the photos indicated he was one and she was two, so there may be growth differences that are difficult to account for- He looks to be shorter through the back and I believe his rear angles are better also. In addition his neck has a better look to it; looks like he has good head carrige and works through his back based on his musculature and development. Both youngsters look very promising, however; it is not an easy choice!

IrishKharma
Jan. 25, 2010, 06:58 PM
I would sell her. Here are the reasons why:

-A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush.

-Rather to sell and regret, than to regret not selling.

-She is cute, but her legs are very long and long cannons. She would not be my first choice for an endurance mount. I think even as a youngster, she looks promising and I would let someone else take that chance.

-There aren't many, let me rephrase that- the opportunities to make money off horses is few and far between. If you have an active buyer and you KNOW she would be safe in a good home etc. then why would you not sell her.

-You already have a colt you have your eye on too.

Good luck either way, it's hard, and you are even more attached to a homebred baby.

Burbank
Jan. 27, 2010, 09:38 PM
unless you are very attached to her sell her

Ozalynda
Jan. 28, 2010, 01:55 AM
-Rather to sell and regret, than to regret not selling.

Very wise words.

Thanks for the feedback. It is hard not to be influenced to some degree by emotion when selling a homebred, at least when breeding on the small scale that I do. ;)

Ozalynda
Jan. 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
We had sunshine today, so I took the opportunity to take some better pictures of my filly:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62017689@N00/sets/72157623190272403/