View Full Version : One more idea to build stalls:

Jan. 24, 2010, 03:40 PM
I was reading a horse stall brochure by Priefert on their Expo horse stalls.
They had an interesting option in their modular portable stalls.
The side walls between stalls roll out of the way into the aisles and you could run a skidloader down the long sides and clean all the stalls at once.
That was for big arenas, that have to clean out after a show, getting ready for the next show.

That is an good idea private barns could also use, I think, where it may be applicable.:cool:

That same idea could work to take a division out of the way completely and make a double stall for foaling, or a big horse or one on stall rest that could use a larger stall.:)

Jan. 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
The last place I boarded in had the Priefert modular stalls. The center walls did slide out, just had to remove two drop pins and pull on the end. Actually pretty easily for one person to do if they were pretty strong. (the walls are pretty heavy once the wood panels are inserted, I'd say close to 200 lbs maybe?)
Never thought of sliding them all out and running a skidster down inside the stalls though! Pretty neat idea!
I thought it was an excellent idea for making a double stall for either foaling, storage or a horse on stall rest for a long time.
Hubby and I planned on using those exact same stalls in our barn when we built it. But at the last minute we switched to Ramm stalls because we had an enormous order being flat bedded to us from there anyways and it wouldn't cost any more in shipping to toss 4 stalls on the flat bed too at that point. We already had 60 stall mats, rolls and rolls of fencing and all our fence posts coming. So we figured the Ramm stalls in the photos were similar to the Priefert stalls and a little less in cost and then we'd have the exttra savings in not paying more shipping.
Dumb decisions which I kick myself for every day, LOL! The Ramm stalls come in long boxes of parts and are made from scratch and are a LOT more difficult to put up right. The Priefert come in a solid welded panel per wall with the slots left open for the wood. The Ramm even requires each stall bar put in individually. And they don't stay where you put them either. Well, they probably do with someone more handy than we are, but for beginner builders the Prieferts would've been a helluva lot better and easier.
Those hold up really well too. When I boarded Gal she took an instant dislike to a new horses put in next to her and tried to go through the stall wall to get to him. She made the entire line of stalls vibrate a lot but didn't cause any damage to herself or the stalls. I was pretty impressed!

Jan. 24, 2010, 04:22 PM
Right now, after our last remodel, the inside of our barn is 30' by 80', enough to ride a little bit and play with our horses in bad weather.
One day, if we want more stalls, we will add four and it is right where we already have a 12' overhead door, so we could build them where the middles slide out and run the skidloader thru to strip them out.:yes:

If we had thought of this, we would have build the other side like that, still can retrofit those three stalls some day...

Thanks for letting me know that you have seen that in person and that the idea really works.:)

Jan. 24, 2010, 08:04 PM
I had never thought of that, but boy, if I was going to put in a line of stalls, I would do that absolutely, You could build large rolling doors on the ends which can also roll out of the way and open up the line of stalls. pull up the mats, if they aren't too heavy (mabey mats ARE too heavy?) and scoop on down the line. Very cool.

I ahve a question, relating to MB's mare or one like it. Are the walls on wheels, and if so, are they strong and stable? Are the walls on a roller, up over head, and is the stall hanging and yet unbstable at the bottom? Is the wall running inside a rail at the bottom, and if the rail is full of bedding, can the wall actually move? Guess I'm thinking of rolling closet doors which don't always work after a while the way they were meant to. I'd have to see one of these in person, to assure myself it was a good purchase, not just a good idea.

Jan. 24, 2010, 08:17 PM
For what I can tell in their pictures, the sides are sliding metal on metal, no rollers to be seen.
I don't think I can scan the page and it be ok to post that, because I would need permission from Priefert to do so, I think.

You can ask for their brochure to be mailed to you, or go by a local dealer and pick some up.:)

I guess if you make your stalls, you can hang them any one way you want to, the idea is what counts.:yes:

Jan. 24, 2010, 09:43 PM
FYI, I examined the new Priefert European low front stalls last week at the Natl Western. They are very attractive and heavy duty and looked nice until I saw that the only thing holding the gate shut was one itty-bitty 3/4 inch house-type retractable door latch.

Jan. 24, 2010, 11:05 PM
No, the Priefert stalls don't have wheels.
They're installed by having a 4x4 set into your floor (if it's packed stone) and the front and back walls are bolted down to that...or you can bolt them into concrete if that's the type of flooring you have.
The three walls and front wall w/door have drop pins top and bottom...almost like round pen panels but a lot more substantial in side and wider flatter ones rather than round narrow ones.
The back and front walls have double sets of pins...so they drop into each front or back wall next to them and then the side panels slide through slots and have different drop pins.
To remove the dividing walls all you have to do is walk to the back of a stall, stand on a bucket and lift the back top drop pin and then the bottom drop pin. Then walk out of the stall and do the same for the front pins, grab the stall wall end in your hands and tug backwards. The wall will slide right out, leaving a 12x24 stall instead of 2 12x12 stalls. And the stall doesn't lose any strength or stability with the dividing wall removed.
Putting them in for the first time is also simple as heck...bolt a line of back wall stalls and then bolt a line of front wall stall panels and then add the dividing walls and you're done.
The walls all have channels cut into them for the wood inserts...just measure wood, cut it to length (takes 2x4) stain it and slide the wood pieces in. They can go in vertical or horizontal, whichever look you like. The horizontal ones are easier to replace broken boards though since you only have to loosen one wall and then slide out one panel of wood to replace with a new one. Vertical ones you have to keep removing the pieces to get to the broken one. But either way it's an easy repair.
I never thought of removing the dividing walls to be able to drive down *inside* the line of stalls though! No reason why it couldn't be done though.
I'm still pissed at myself for not getting the Preiferts and hubby and I have discussed the possibility of evetunally replacing the ones we have for new Prieferts down the road.
Not that there's anything wrong with the Ramm ones. But they're really not the easiest thing to install for folks like us. Building from scratch and getting everything 100% square...and then the hardest part for us was sinking in the front and back support beams perfectly square. Two of them aren't perfect...not bad either as you can barely notice that they're not exactly square. But that tad bit off that those are means the stall doors do not slide like they should. Or stay closed. We had to add chains to those doors.
And if your wood walls warp, the top bars loosen and fall out. To repair that you have to tear down the entire wall and start over. Royal pain in the butt to build!

Apr. 7, 2010, 10:38 AM
This is the way the remodel for the Oklahoma City fairgrounds was done.

Apr. 7, 2010, 10:50 AM
in theory it sounds neat- but in reality,it takes time to remove all of those walls, then you really do need to shovel the bedding and such into the center of the stalls, and you have to put all those horses somewhere.... It actually takes longer to do in the long run than it does just mucking individually.... And of course the more moving parts you have, the more moving parts you have that will break! I mucked for a lady once who had stalls like this- they were not prefiert- but they were designed to do the same thing- she wanted stalls picked by hand during the week, and then once a month did the whole pull them out, and rebed everything.... I can see it working ok for a fairgrounds or something though...

Apr. 7, 2010, 01:49 PM
I am getting the feeling that people are talking about 2 different types of stall designs.
Type 1. Where you remove pins and individually remove the stall wall that is between the 2 stalls

Type 2. Where the stall wall is like a pocket door and slides out into the aisle. This way you could slide them all out into the aisle and strip all the stalls, then slide the stall dividers back into the stalls. It would seem that this type would be good for places like fairgrounds, Devon showgrounds etc... where at the end of the show the stalls are stripped. I am getting the feeling that the pocket stall wall ones are a new design.
Type 2's design would likely be pretty inconvenient for any center aisle active barn as you would be blocking the aisle with the stall walls when you are stripping them.

Type 1's sound like they would be more convenient for a boarding type barn since you could rearrange stall size on a as needed basis for foaling, draft horses, stall rest ect...
Type 2 sounds like it is intended for permanent stabling at showgrounds for ease of cleaning but the stalls aren't intended to be set up permanently with the stall divider out- it would stick into the aisle.

I haven't seen the brochure that Bluey is talking about