View Full Version : adapting 'aisle' into tack room as well

Jan. 24, 2010, 09:13 AM

The little ghetto barn is pretty much 'done' (except for the barn doors....hopefully a spring project!) and the floor of the aisle needs finalizing as in : will be very packed, leveled bluestone, with 'wall to wall' interlocking mats cut to fit.

anyway. My 'finishing' of the aisle area will involve my adding a 'counter top' (standard...18? inches deep?) along the wall under the window. Below, I'll configure a tall feed bin area, or trash can...and after that, one long shelf for large locking plastic bins...maybe a small refridge.

What I also want is to design/decide how to have a tack area...2 saddle racks minimum...3 would be better....various bridle hooks, etc...I'd like to figure a way to do all of this 'flush' under/over the counter so nothing stiicks out more than the depth of the counter. However! Here's the thing:

Of course (as you can see in the pix) this is an aisle way, so critters will be able to get to it, I suppose (from the barred open windows in stalls as well as the top of the dutch door into the run in).......as well as not climate controlled, etc.

anyway....knowing /seeing this, is there something you guys can suggest in how to add such an area? should I buy a separate tall cabinet thing, and shut that? Anyone adapting/using such an area?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jan. 24, 2010, 09:26 AM
No suggestions, just wanted to say that is awfully classy for a "ghetto barn!"

Jan. 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think that is ghetto at all! I think it is CUTE. I think for the tack storage, a cabinet that you can shut (and maybe even put a hasp and padlock on) is going to be the best bet. HOWEVER, you could do like you were talking about and put it under the counter top either front to back if its deep enough or you could rig a swinging arm to hold the saddles that would store parallel to the wall and swing out when needed. Of course, if the counter is not deep enough, you could go with 24" depth instead of 18" and it would be deep enough. I would put some sort of front on the under counter space (even if it is just a skirt-hey-it can be burlap, lol) to hide it from eyes that might not have your best interest at heart.

Check out ChocoMare's webshots account-her dh built her the most awesome tack armoire out. It is splendiforous, and might work for you as well.

Jan. 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
What's on the other side of the barn? It would be an easy job to take off the interior panelling, the siding, since some new posts, and extend your barn out 12 feet and add on a tackroom and feedroom.

Jan. 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
I would build in a locking cabinet, floor to ceiling, to the right of the window.

Saddle racks that slide out, some shelves, and bridle hooks on the door that opens. Look at some high end tack trunks for ideas. Maybe you could even fit the world's smallest dehumidifier in there!

I like the counter top idea, and maybe even additional cabinet doors below that, plus some open shelves.

You'll want a way to lock up the expensive stuff while still being able to leave the barn door open for ventilation.

Jan. 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts! Thanks for taking a look....(and for being kind! in commenting on our little 'just an outbuilding' conversion!)
enjoytheride: Actually...I had 'long term' plans of extending out just exactly where the window is....as in: had the window sized/framed, so that if I ever wanted a people door there instead into a small tack area, that would work! but....for now, and for awhile down the road, thats just not happening right away. Honestly, we're not sure if it even can be, as the power lines are VEEEERY close coming overhead, and not sure if we can extend out any more.
So...for now, its find the best way to utilize that wall with minimum addition...keeping it very limited in depth, and figuring the best way to have a small enclosed 'critter proof' tack area within it.

Thanks again!! keep em comin'!

Jan. 24, 2010, 11:28 AM
Beautiful little barn! What a nice place! You're giving me farmette envy!!

I agree with a deeper countertop. If you plan to store tack under it you will like the deeper "roof" over you saddles. Or, if shelves are planned under it, you'll have a deeper surface for folded bulky items like sheets, blankets, saddle pads, etc... Easy to hang a curtain, build a simple cabinet or even leave open under the counter, too.

Let us know what you end up doing! Folks are always interested in maxamizing space in a barn!

Jan. 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
Very cute barn!

Jan. 24, 2010, 11:53 AM
You could put these; http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=6208 and some bridle hooks on the wall above your counter, beside the window. I think I might also insulate between the rafters of the roof.

Jan. 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
yep...looking at all kinds of saddle racks, bridle hangers, etc! But as stated, am just trying to do the right thing in tack storage...as to be sure they are safe from critters, etc!
Also, thanks so much for the compliments on the little spot.:D Don't know how many of you saw the slide shows originally, but I'll add them here again!
Reader's Digest version: This is 'the homeplace'....I do not live there currently, but will inherit it. So, mom and I finally decided after many many years (I was the hold out) to convert an outbuilding and add fencing. Therefore, for now, its our 'visit spot' as gelding is boarded here, where we still live, but this is our vacation spot (!) outside of Williamsburg VA (about 2 hours from me)......until that time we move there and set up permanent horsekeeping!

Jan. 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
How about one of those giant tough plastic walk-in size storage sheds? My husband bought one that he uses to store garden equipment, it is a good sized thing, I will have to go find a link on the internet. He even ordered it on the internet, and it was drop shipped to the farm. Of course it would be outside and not in the barn, but we have not had any water leakage problems with ours.

One barn that I boarded at, had a shallow cabinet outside of each stall, with a door that we could lock, it could hold things like brushes, fly spra, etc, they were as high as the stall wall, and the top served as a shelf/counter to put things. That way each horse had a place where supplies could be stored safely.

Jan. 24, 2010, 01:34 PM
I designed my barn to be very well ventilated for the horses (e.g. stalls and aisles), but the tack room is in the middle with loft space above so sort of a 12 x 12 box stuck in the middle of the barn with no ventilation and everything turns to soylent green in there. In addition I had hoped it would be a tack room only and feed would be kept in a hay barn next door -- but the hay barn was not critter proof and the tack room is -- so now the tack room is the feed room/cat bedroom and just does not stay very clean (my fault I know).

Soooo -- because I tack up in the aisle anyway -- I have a multi bridle iron hook high on the aisle wall, just outside the wash stall, that the bridles stay on all the time. The hooks swivel (it is old -- my mom found it at some yard sale) each arm has a large and small hook. I keep three bridles and various attendant pieces and parts (breast plates, martingales, extra bits) hanging there. I can use it for cleaning and/or storing, although I recently put an additional hook nearby and slightly lower for when I am tacking up or cleaning a bridle. A three prong bridle cleaning hook would work as well. No problems with critters --.

I have two saddle racks that fold down or sideways. I used to keep one of my saddles out there all the time with saddle pads and girths hung on the blanket rack adjacent. I did get a new saddle and have not been leaving it out until I have a more secure rack -- but again -- other than cats sleeping on the pile of saddle pads occasionally, no problem with critters. I would think they would work fine under a shelf like you describe. I wouldn't enclose it cause I would think you would just run into the humidity problem again. Maybe a trunk for the saddle pads and other cloth items.

I do have my cabinets with wraps/bits/first aid supplies in the tack room -- but am trying to find cabinets or build cabinets to put in my wash stall to move some stuff out there.

I don't worry about thieves seeing the equipment and taking it. If they are going to walk back in my barnyard and barn they can just as easily walk in my tack room and take it.

Jan. 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
This is the walk in shed that my husband bought, he put shelves in there also, it really is rather roomy:

Fairview Horse Center
Jan. 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
Just make sure you always have 2 locks/latches to keep horses away from grain. Gate/stall door/locking cupboard

Jan. 24, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'd be less concerned about securing the tack and more concerned about securing the grain.

Jan. 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Neat barn, will be great to work in it, I bet you will really love it.:)

Remember that you don't have to make a square cabinet sticking out in the aisle, you may enclose that corner at an angle, using more of the corner.:yes:
You can then make the upper part as tackroom cabinet, the bottom for feed.;)

Something like this, but more even, not so pointy:

! /

Chocomare's cabinet is a work of art.:cool:

The advantage of a moveable cabinet, not a built in one, is that you can move it and change where you want it as your needs may change.

Jan. 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
all insights are helping!

Just an FYI....grain would never be accessible to horses in any barn of mine. If ONLY a garbage can (which would be my last resort) it would be braced to the wall...(non tip a ble) with lid bungeed on /always!!!.......(as well as 'under' the counter) But my hope is: a small upright chest freezer...lid that 'lifts' up....grain stored inside.
Anyway...the reason I added this note, is that it seems folk are focusing on the grain and horse access to it.....I'm ok on that point...it will not EVER be accessible to the horse------- that is easier for me to take care of and secure. The tack....I was looking for ideas to understand if I can 'store' it in the 'open' of this spot, or if critters would ruin/ chew it, etc..and how to protect that.

I can see folk's concern! Just wanted to assure that was already thought out and 1st priority.

Jan. 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
Awful cute for a 'ghetto' barn!

In one of these 'show me your tack room/locker' threads a bit back, someone posted pics of the large corner cabinet built into their stall. It was genius and would probably be perfect in that corner next to the window. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm thinking a big corner cabinet for tack, then your counter to the left with a shorter built in cabinet (or even just a latching gate of some sort) underneath for grain. Add a couple of shelves and horse safe hooks up top for frequently used items (lead ropes, oil, etc) and you have a pretty handy and ample tack/feed area crammed into a tiny space.

OK- post 16 in this thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227727&highlight=stall+corner+tack has pics of the corner locker I was thinking of. Seems you could easily put a third saddle rack in something like that. You could also do a half-folding door (What are those called? Like the ones on closets, but not on a track) if there isn't enough room for the door to open.

Jan. 26, 2010, 09:50 AM
thanks to all ! Yes, I think the 'corner' tack area might be the best plan...just because it would allow/give me more depth for the saddles. I'm thinking almost like a wardrobe kind of doors...as in two, that way, more narrow for opening...saddle racks in the actual 'corner'...and to adapt it all to fit flush agains the counter top on the left hand side.

As you can see, its a work in progress (!) so I'll try to revisit the thread and update, but it may well be SPRING before any of this is accomplished!

Jan. 27, 2010, 07:51 PM
No Suggestions, but I love it! I love have you have planned out the space, and I love the outside run-in. Very cute! Congrats! All you hard work will be worth it.

I'm so jealous. I can't wait until we own/rent a place with space for my horse...
I am so tired of boarding...

Jan. 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
Woodstar has these wall units that hold multiple saddles and bridles. They come in 6' and 8' sizes... can't tell if either would fit in there, but it looks like it. I don't know how that would fit with cabinets, but it tacks care of the tack situation.