PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Waterer's for stall

Piaffe~Passage
Jan. 23, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hey everyone...Ok right now we have paddle style ceramic automatic waterer's in the barn. I HATE them! They spray out above the paddle it seems no matter how they are adjusted then leak down the wall then we end up with wet corner's in the stalls. The stall my horse is in, the paddle some time sticks, then it over flows majorally. We have cleaned it etc with no luck. Anyway's, I'm looking to get new waterer's for the barn, but I am not sure what to go with. I was thinking of a float style? Suggestions??

shortbusgeek
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:39 AM
My personal opinion is to skip the automatic waterers and just run a pipe to the bucket with a valve that you can open and close on it. That way you're still not having to drag a hose around to the different stalls and try to aim for the bucket from the outside, but you are still able to keep an eye on how much they're drinking. :-)

Nancy!
Jan. 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
The best idea I've seen was where a friend had "outdoor" automatic waterers in her stalls. One small waterer between two stalls. Worked really well and no overhead pipes to protect from freezing.

caevent
Jan. 25, 2010, 01:43 PM
Our barn has 5 gallon auto waterers with drains in the bottom for cleaning. I really like them, as there's enough water for the horse to take a big drink, and you have the convenience of not having to refill buckets several times a day.