PDA

View Full Version : 4 dogs sprayed by a skunk!

tidy rabbit
Jan. 22, 2010, 11:32 PM
Please tell me they will be smart enough not to get sprayed a 3rd time? I'm going to have to put them in a barn tonight. Disgusting.

LAZ
Jan. 23, 2010, 12:19 AM
I hate to tell you that my German Shorthairs have all been sprayed multiple times. I don't know if the hunting instinct is so strong they are willing to pay the price, or if they're just dumb...

Take baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and Dawn dishwashing soap, make a mix and rub it on the dog, let it sit for a while then wash off. You may have to do it a couple of times, but it works better than any other remedy I've tried!

JanM
Jan. 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
And if you don't want to do the mixture you can also use the iodine based feminine hygiene mixture from the drug store (Massengill), or a big tube of Arm and Hammer toothpaste (not gel) for each dog-they are not only deskunked but minty fresh too.

Horsegal984
Jan. 23, 2010, 11:41 AM
MythBusters tested it, the best is the baking soda peroxide dawn mixture. Just make sure not to get it in their eyes, but the massive amounts of oxygen released help lift the spray. Water will just make it worse, and spread it around.

EqTrainer
Jan. 23, 2010, 07:03 PM
Must be in the air.. mine got sprayed last night too. Along w/my porch :(

KnKShowmom
Jan. 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
Oh you have ALL of my sympathy!!!

My GSD got sprayed once and then thought he would bring the skunk home - just in case I wasn't sure what the smell was I guess :no:

Many cans of tomato juice on a cold October night later, he came back into the house, but I was glad he never tried it again.

Getting the smell out of the concrete on my back step where said skunk was deposited to a bit more doing.

Gotta love country living!!! :D

oldpony66
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
Be glad it was your dogs! Last fall it was our large pony who must have been investigating a skunk and got sprayed in the face... the day before he had to go to a clinic with my daughter. So we went to the clinic and he got the name Mr. Stinky for the day.
The hydrogen peroxide/dish detergent/baking soda worked AMAZINGLY, but it was no fun washing a stinky pony's face, neck, and basically entire front half at the end of October when it was about 40 degrees outside.

FlashGordon
Jan. 24, 2010, 11:02 AM
Oh I remember that funk well.. my dog got a straight shot in the face/chest/shoulder last year.

We did the hydrogen peroxide/dish soap/baking soda thing which worked ok. The groomer doused her in Scope which seemed to work even better.

Thank goodness her eyes and nose were ok, though her skin reacted quite badly and was hot and sore for awhile.

For about 6 months after, every time she got wet she'd smell to high heaven... poor thing... we hated it, but it had to drive her poor nose crazy!