PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing trailer?

KingstonHill
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
Well, I picked up my new shadow 2-H bumper pull today with my F-150 and on the way home it seemed to be bouncing/shaking my truck..could this be because it is so light and had no weight in it? I do not have sway bars on it yet but I will be getting them. It didnt do it all the time but it did do it a lot. Let me know!!! Kinda strange...

tangledweb
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:33 PM
Could be. Horse trailers generally ride better with weight in them.

It could be lots of things. Uneven tire pressures, crooked frame or axle?

First thing I'd check is whether your tow hitch sits at the right height to keep the trailer level or a little nose high.

deltawave
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:55 PM
Check the axle alignment, maybe? Who knew axles needed aligning? Not I, until my third flat tire in 18 months. :mad:

cai
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:57 PM
Does it shake particularly when you brake? If so, you might want to adjust your trailer brakes. I remember feeling like my (empty) trailer was bouncing like rubber ball the first time I hooked it up to a new truck...turns out the trailer brake switch was at the highest level, so when I braked the wheels just locked and it bounced, bounced, bounced!

KingstonHill
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hmm...My truck is brand new, like less than 100 miles on it. Could it still be the axles? I'm guessing that is was so light it was bouncing around..but I dont know, have only had goosenecks :)

Mudroom
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:59 PM
you might try having someone in a car drive near you when you are driving the trailer. Have them watch for a particular tire or axle that bounces.

In the meantime rub your hand around the tread surface and inner & outer sidewalls of all the trailer tires and see if you feel any lumps. Trailer tires are very susceptible to belt separation (think of a small hematoma). You can usually feel them with your hand (and driving) before you can see them.

Mudroom
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hmm...My truck is brand new, like less than 100 miles on it. Could it still be the axles?

I think they were referring to the traile axles

maybedog
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
Had this happen to me. The cause turned out to be that the trailer wheelbase was a little wider than the trucks wheelbase. Had to get stabilizer bars welded to tongue of trailer that attached to the receiver on the truck. Fixed the problem.

PletchersMom
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:16 PM
Stupid question....if your truck only has 100 miles on it, what does the manual say for towing? I thought most say 300 miles to start towing. But I could be wrong.

Also, I would check the hitch height to make sure that is correct.

Sithly
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
What kind of suspension does your trailer have? I've noticed that my trailer with leaf springs bounces when empty (over big bumps at speed), but my friend's trailer with rubber torsion suspension doesn't seem to.

Just an observation from my sample size of two. :lol: I haven't noticed this problem with any other trailers, but then again, I very rarely pull an empty trailer.

Bluey
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:24 PM
Is the trailer double or single axle?
The single rubber torsion axle stock trailers we pull in pastures here are more bouncy than the double axles, but of course pull much better in rough country and mud with just one axle.

There are some horses that end up getting sore in those bouncy trailers.
Ours is double axle, our neighbor's single and there definitely is a difference over a long drive how the horses come out of his.

I would check, as someone else said, the brake controller adjustment.
They generally have a little wheel you can move one way or another to lighten the brake.

deltawave
Jan. 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
True, I would not use a brand-new truck for towing if I could avoid it. Maybe that's an old wives tale and no longer problematic, but "I was always taught" a new car should not do hauling or long, single-speed highway trips for the first 1000 miles.

starkissed
Jan. 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
I think its not recommended to tow in the first 500miles, but it seems kind of bogus.

I just pulled and empty trailer on the freeway and it boucned a little bit when we went uneven pavement. But not the whole time. The worst part was when we went over the bridge and it was windy and I felt the thing blowing around a little...SCARY!! but it was empty I think thats why.

As for your situation, probably because the truck is long and the trailer is light and you are used to goosenecks which never bounce Take a test drive with the horse and see how it feels. The stabilizing bars will probably help a lot

KingstonHill
Jan. 23, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hey guys!
Well tonight I actually found a bump on one of tires, I am going to take it tomorrow to get looked at, hopefully I get this all figured out. Thanks for all the help!